Brent Toderian
A
“In Finland, the # of homeless people has fallen sharply. Those affected receive a small apartment & counselling with no preconditions. 4 out of 5 people make their way back into a stable life. And all this is CHEAPER than accepting homelessness.”
https://scoop.me/housing-f...
12:22 AM - Apr 22, 2023
Sue_in_SF
A
In response to Brent Toderian.
The article did mention mental health treatment, which we're utterly lacking in U.S. Seems like large percentage of homeless deal with hard-core drug addiction & mental health issues. To make a dent in homelessness, we have to make progress there. Many refuse service or beds.
01:06 PM - Nov 05, 2023

Only followers of this user (MaryPocrnic) can see their posts

Peter Emmert
A
Maybe the people who are homeless are just sick and tired of it,
While the people in the US are condeming it and won't do anything but complain about how it drains taxpayer money.
And the homeless like their lifestyles
because they can follow their own rules.
06:17 AM - Sep 24, 2023
Tyreek Hill
A
06:51 PM - Aug 24, 2023
Tyreek Hill
A
06:47 PM - Aug 24, 2023
Bethany Williamson
B
In Finland the government cares about people. Here in America we have a political party that believes cruelty is the point in all policy
11:09 AM - Jul 10, 2023
AlwaysADiva
A
America... What say you?
10:08 PM - May 03, 2023
Whale World! Party Time! Excellent!
A
In response to AlwaysADiva.
America says "Yeah, but that 5th person is a freeloader! Therefore no one should get anything!"
08:32 PM - May 10, 2023
jaysonmassey
A
We need the federal government to authorize and fund affordable housing in every place in the country, not just big cities. There are homeless Americans all over America.
10:10 PM - Apr 30, 2023
Jerry Wechsler
A
I love Finland. I love my friends in Helsinki.
11:30 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Crystal May
A
I love the bottom line: the state spends 15,000 euros less per year per homeless person than before.
09:35 AM - Apr 22, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
Which just goes to show that keeping people on the street is not ultimately about saving money. It's about punishing people for the "sin" of being poor, which upholds the capitalist propaganda that claims rich people get rich by being more deserving of wealth.

"The cruelty is the point". As always.
06:37 AM - Apr 22, 2023
Phil J
A
All we have to do is give every homeless person a free house with no time restrictions. Managing that in a country of 300,000,000 vs a country with 5,000,000, will be problematic when we can't even agree on gun control here.
01:04 AM - Apr 22, 2023
bronxelf
A
In response to Phil J.
The problem isn't the scale.

The problem is the culture. We have PLENTY of space and quite a lot of unused housing. The problem is cultural, not a matter of scale. (gun control is a cultural issue also, as evidenced by that fact that we're the only ones who have the problem.)
03:22 PM - Apr 25, 2023
Redd Vegan
B
In response to Phil J.
Why on Earth would everyone have to agree?
I wasn't asked for consensus when Florida passed it's disgusting laws or when my boss keeps most of my rightful paycheck. If people don't like it, they can lump it. Too bad, we're doing it anyway. That's what I'd tell them.
08:09 PM - May 10, 2023
Greg Dickson
A
We just spent 9 weeks trying to get shelter and housing for our 30 year old male. No success.

We have found a place 2 hours away… It’s ridiculous
12:59 AM - Apr 22, 2023
Lostin Karadise
A
In response to Greg Dickson.
I work in the Housing Dept of a Florida city. Sadly that's where we are at here too. There is nowhere near enough affordable housing/shelter for the need. Especially if its an entire family. And it's only getting worse. Quickly. The uptick in homeless seniors is alarming.
08:46 AM - Apr 23, 2023
Seth Vieregge
A
This is awesome
12:53 AM - Apr 22, 2023
Jennie Jonzen
A
Would be nice if major cities here in the USA would institute such a plan.
12:49 AM - Apr 22, 2023
Phil J
A
In response to Jennie Jonzen.
How?
01:10 AM - Apr 22, 2023

Only followers of this user (bootgrlll) can see their posts

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}