Charlotte Clymer
A
thread 1/2
"It seems one of the worst things you can do these days is admit when you don’t know something. We’ll forgive a lot of things in this country, but for some reason, admitting when we don’t know something is often taboo."

https://charlotteclymer.su...
10:01 AM - May 03, 2023
Just Judith'n'ALF #VotedYes
A
thread 2/2
I think the word ignorance has become conflated with "wilful ignorance", and maybe that has contributed to our unwillingness to acknowledge it.
On the whole it seems that saying "I don't know" is met with more understanding and less sneering.
(I think, but do not know)
04:55 PM - May 04, 2023
Joe Minenna
A
In response to Charlotte Clymer.
Well, I'm in big trouble then, because the more I know, the more I realize more of the stuff that I don't know.
07:07 PM - Dec 09, 2023
Liz Adams
A
I respect anyone who can say they don't know. Especially if it's a doctor. Because that means I can trust what they say they know.
10:55 AM - Sep 05, 2023
Antony L
A
Folks might think this sounds bonkers, but I blame the various self-esteem PSA campaigns to help kids be more confident. It's true folks should Love and value themselves, but I wonder if the message that landed for many was "your opinion is just as valid as any other, informed by knowledge or not."
09:04 PM - Jun 24, 2023
Thaddeus Howze
A
Our society has demonized expertise, replacing it with the overconfidence of the ‘splainer’ who insists their ignorance is equal to the experience of the scholar or expert who has spent their life learning about the topic.

Carl Sagan predicted this. Marcus Aurelius talked about it 1900 years ago.
03:49 PM - May 03, 2023
Donna Lynn
A
In response to Thaddeus Howze.
Sad but true
08:41 PM - Jun 24, 2023
Dan Kane
A
We demonize ignorance. I'm an upper-middle class CIS white male Christian. Acknowledging ignorance to what specific marginalized communities experience is seen as something to be mocked. But I AM ignorant in these areas, & ignorance is only bad if I willfully stay there. Be ignorantly curious
01:09 PM - May 03, 2023 (Edited)
BG Pelaire
A
Twitter driving me nuts. Nice to see you here!
12:50 PM - May 03, 2023
randy gold
B
And I respect someone more for saying "I don't know" or even "perhaps the answer is whatever", rather than them faking a lie.
12:09 PM - May 03, 2023
Tatyana Doss
A
I now have to train this into new hires. We spend half a shift discussing the proper way to communicate, "I don't know the answer to that, let me go find out. I will be right back"
11:31 AM - May 03, 2023
Whale World! Party Time! Excellent!
A
I think it’s the 3rd worst. The 2nd worst is to admit that you were wrong about something. And the worst is that you did something wrong or bad and should apologize.
11:16 AM - May 03, 2023
Robert Silverman
A
Twice in my career, I admitted in interviews that I didn’t have experience in some of the areas that each company was looking for. In each instance, I got the job because they felt that I was being refreshingly honest.
11:14 AM - May 03, 2023
Goodina Crisis
A
When I admit I don't know something, it makes me happy because I might learn something I didn't know before. Knowledge is good.
10:29 AM - May 03, 2023
Kimberlee (Kimbrûlée)
A
I admit this several times a day :-)
10:09 AM - May 03, 2023
Amy Bornmann
A
It’s a real shame that admitting lack of knowledge about anything is looked down upon these days. I’d rather you tell me you don’t know than have you try to BS your way through a topic.
10:09 AM - May 03, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}