Steve Lieber
A
I wanna see a long thread here! Reply to this with ONE piece of how-to media that really helped you do what you do. Book, website, video, whatever.

I’ll start! On The Art of Drawing by Robert Fawcett gave me the tools I need to think about drawing, & understand what a picture needs to accomplish
06:27 PM - Feb 11, 2023
MostFunnest
A
In response to Steve Lieber.
This book by #LarryEvans sparked my imagination like a bolt of creative lightning.
02:23 AM - Apr 02, 2023
Tom Speelman
A
Had to read ON WRITING WELL by William Zinsser in college and yeah it’s still the gold standard for a reason!
11:03 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Graeme McMillan
A
It’s not a How-To for what I do, but The Manual: How to Have a Number 1 the Easy Way by the KLF is something that I think about a lot in terms of pop culture writing on a worrying regular basis. (Bill Drummond’s 45, too, but that’s not a How-To.)
10:05 AM - Feb 12, 2023
Steve Lieber
A
Oh- and it looks like there's a #SpoutibleBug right now: Replies to this that contain an image are hidden. Replies that are just text are visible in the thread to everyone!
02:02 AM - Feb 12, 2023
Greg Pak
A
Eudora Welty's ONE WRITER'S BEGINNINGS. Read it as a teenaged writer and it made a huge impression on me. But I haven't read it since -- really should dig it up!
01:14 AM - Feb 12, 2023
David J. Loehr
A
I learned the fundamentals of writing early—my mother was a writer and English professor—but when I need to refresh my memory or replenish, I go to Damn Fine Story by @chuckwendig , which I know she would have loved. Also, it features the best footnote referring to otters I’ve ever read.
11:54 PM - Feb 11, 2023
David J. Loehr
A
In response to David J. Loehr.
Sigh. Did not realize this had posted twice, both the first version and then the "oh yeah, also these books." When I hit send last night, they vanished into the ether until this morning. On the plus side, this site is getting more stable every day. ;-)
03:36 PM - Feb 12, 2023
Preeti Chhibber
A
DEAR GENIUS: The Letters of Ursula Nordstrom really, really taught me how important collaboration is in the process of creation when it comes to publishing our work. https://www.harpercollins....
11:29 PM - Feb 11, 2023
Steve Lieber
A
In response to Preeti Chhibber.
Read it a few years ago. I LOVE this book.
12:50 AM - Feb 12, 2023
Ron Randall
A
For clueless middle school me, this Jack Hamm book opened many, many doors. Cleanest, easiest-to-digest set of basic principles and tips I've yet to come across. Not as impressive as Loomis, but for a beginner like me, this one delivered a solid first step. So invaluable that I still have my copy.
11:03 PM - Feb 11, 2023
Jeff Parker
A
I like all the same books - especially that Robert Fawcett one. For solely writing, I think John Gardner's Art of Fiction was helpful early on. Later I enjoyed Anne Lamott's Bird By Bird. Also loved the audio of Stephen King's On Writing that we listened to while drawing some comics issue.
09:12 PM - Feb 11, 2023
David J. Loehr
A
In response to Jeff Parker.
I learned the fundamentals early--my mother was a writer and an English professor--but whenever I need a refresher or just to replenish the well, I go to Damn Fine Story by @chuckwendig , which I know she would have loved. Also Stephen King's On Writing and Steve Martin's Born Standing Up.
12:02 AM - Feb 12, 2023
KurtBusiek
A
THE FICTION EDITOR, THE NOVEL AND THE NOVELIST, by Thomas McCormack, was revelatory to me in its discussion of theme, and to a lesser degree the idea that all craft rules are diagnostic.

There is an updated edition and I own copies but haven’t gotten around to reading it yet. But it’s probably st
07:52 PM - Feb 11, 2023
KurtBusiek
A
In response to KurtBusiek.
...still worthwhile.
11:04 PM - Feb 11, 2023
reedhb
A
The Essential Guide to Comic Lettering is by far the best resource on learning to letter and it's not particularly close.
07:26 PM - Feb 11, 2023
Colleen Coover
A
My go-to book forever, to be used more like an almanac than a textbook: Jack Hamm’s Cartooning The Head And Figure. Invaluable for drawing not-from-life fundamentals!
07:26 PM - Feb 11, 2023
Jase
A
In response to Colleen Coover.
I really like the drawing just on that cover alone tbh.
09:37 PM - Feb 11, 2023
Jodie Troutman
A
I'm still a lousy colorist, but the Todd Klein part of THE DC COMICS GUIDE TO COLORING AND LETTERING opened my eyes to how much of an art lettering could be.
06:39 PM - Feb 11, 2023
Abel M'Vada
A
This was my entry point to using computers for making art:
06:35 PM - Feb 11, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}