Black Music Project
A
thread 1/6
All rightly praise the musical genius of #StevieWonder but his impact on the culture as a humanitarian and activist is just as astounding. Martin Luther King Jr's birthday would not be a national day of celebration without Stevie's efforts. We honor Stevie today on his birthday (05.13.1950) #mlk
09:57 AM - May 13, 2023
Black Music Project
A
thread 2/6
No public figure did more than Stevie Wonder to help make Dr. King's birthday a day of national honor. Stevie put his career on hold (which was blazing hot then) to tirelessly campaign for the holiday. #wokesongs #mlk #StevieWonder #DrMartinLutherKing
09:59 AM - May 13, 2023
Black Music Project
A
thread 3/6
Stevie Wonder, You Haven't Done Nothin' (1974). #wokesongs speak truth to power. And there may be no better example than this track which was a direct attack on the Nixon administration. It features backing vocals from The Jackson 5. #Woke #StevieWonder #motown #music #TheJackson5 #michaeljackson
You Haven't Done Nothin' - YouTube

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupYou Haven't Done Nothin' · Stevie WonderFulfillingness' First Finale℗ 1974 Motown Records, a Division of UMG Reco...

10:01 AM - May 13, 2023
Black Music Project
A
thread 4/6
Stevie Wonder, Living For the City (1973). Living For the City is a #Woke song whose lyrics recount the unvarnished struggle of Black urban life in the face of racism, police abuse, and bureaucracy. It is a searing indictment of the "American dream." #StevieWonder #wokesongs
Living For The City - YouTube

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupLiving For The City · Stevie WonderInnervisions℗ A Motown Records Release; ℗ 1973 UMG Recordings, Inc.Released on...

10:03 AM - May 13, 2023
Black Music Project
A
thread 5/6
#StevieWonder was a master of speaking truth-to-power through his #wokesongs and wrote some of the most beautiful ballads ever. #lovesongs

Stevie Wonder: As (1976)
Stevie Wonder - As - Live In The Studio 1976 - YouTube

Filmed around the time of making Songs In The Key Of Life, this rare footage of Stevie Wonder's much loved song "As" captures the spirit of love and what thi...

10:11 AM - May 13, 2023
Black Music Project
A
thread 6/6
And now we present a moment from Stevie Wonder's career that was absolutely earth-shattering to the preschool set (trust me, I @christopherfuller ran into the house in my "play-clothes" tracking dirt to catch this). #StevieWonder #SesameStreet #superstition #funk
Stevie Wonder - Superstition live on Sesame Street - YouTube

It doesn't get much better than this.... I can't imagine a better feel good song than this one! Check out the REST OF THE VIDEOS in this collection! ...

10:20 AM - May 13, 2023
Miss Lil' Bit Angie
A
In response to Black Music Project.
I love this. 🤗💜♾️
02:49 PM - May 15, 2023
KMRidgley / Artiste
A
Great post. (Skyscrapers and everything!)
03:04 PM - May 13, 2023
junerose32
B
Just listening to Innervisions yesterday. Classic.
10:05 AM - May 13, 2023
Tom G. Hughes
A
You know how Dolly is putting out a duet album with so many Hall of Famers? Stevie should do that too.
10:00 AM - May 13, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}