Alicia Kline
A
thread 1/5
Growing up, did your parents share how much money they made with you? Or how much certain expenses like rent/mortgage, car loans, or groceries cost each month?
08:42 PM - May 21, 2023
Alicia Kline
A
thread 2/5
I have a theory that those on both extremes of the class spectrum had a better idea of what was going on financially in their own household.
08:44 PM - May 21, 2023
Alicia Kline
A
thread 3/5
For example, it would be hard/impossible to keep homelessness or food insecurity completely hidden from your children.
08:46 PM - May 21, 2023
Alicia Kline
A
thread 4/5
And those that grew up very wealthy likely knew it, too.
08:47 PM - May 21, 2023
Alicia Kline
A
thread 5/5
Which leaves those in the "middle class", however you would define it. I think those kids were mostly blissfully unaware of what their parents' true budget situation was.
08:50 PM - May 21, 2023
Viviane Elbee
A
In response to Alicia Kline.
No, I had no clue. Some years did seem tougher than others (they had their own business so there were ups and downs.)
08:46 AM - Oct 10, 2023
Susan Ann
A
I didn't know my Dad's salary growing up, but to be fair he was military and we almost always lived on base, and everyone else lived how we did.
I didn't realize until I was an adult how little the military pays, although the benefits are good: housing, medical.
09:02 AM - Jul 13, 2023
Airyca White
A
Yes
07:44 AM - Jul 13, 2023
DylanSR
A
Rent $165 2 room apt
Food $10-15 a week
Mom made about $3000 a year.
We were really poor but about average for neighborhood.
No school lunch because Mom believed that would allow CPS to inspect house and I would be taken away because of roaches.
03:16 AM - May 22, 2023
Socio-gen
A
My mom never shared exactly what her income was but gave rough percentages -- 40-60% went to rent/utilities, 25-30% to groceries, 15-20% to auto expenses.

We didn't know exactly how poor we were, but we knew shut-off notices, hiding from the landlord, & "potato soup" (the day before payday meal).
09:56 PM - May 21, 2023
Alicia Kline
A
In response to Socio-gen.
I like the percentage idea.

I learned to answer the phone and lie that my mom wasn't there unless it was someone that I knew. I became the gatekeeper so that she wouldn't have to talk to the bill collectors.
10:07 PM - May 21, 2023
Paula Beard
B
No, they did not share that information period. All we heard was turn off the light when you leave a room, no A/C unless absolutely necessary (Texas heat/humidity). If I wanted things, I had to get jobs to buy them. I worked from early age and have worked my whole life.
09:38 PM - May 21, 2023
Alicia Kline
A
In response to Paula Beard.
The light thing is a pet peeve of mine, but that's not really because of the cost.

My childhood home didn't have air conditioning, and had radiant ceiling heat, which had blown out in the majority of the rooms and was never replaced/repaired.
09:42 PM - May 21, 2023
Sheilah Hayden
A
If my brothers wanted stylish gear, they had to pay for it themselves. Dad lied about my age so I could get a job at 12. Maybe not the particular numbers but the implication was made plain.
09:31 PM - May 21, 2023
Alicia Kline
A
In response to Sheilah Hayden.
My parents didn't until I was moved out and had a family of my own, and when they did, it was because they wanted a handout. But I was aware for a very long time, and paid for quite a lot from age 16 on.
09:35 PM - May 21, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
Once I was 14 and old enough to work myself yes, but not before that, unless you count the constant fighting by my parents about how they couldn't afford all the bills AND for us to eat but without specific dollar amounts being argued about about 90% of the time, then yes.
09:26 PM - May 21, 2023
Pamela
A
Copy of my response to Shawn -
When I asked my dad why my allowance was only $5 week he broke down the household expenses and basically there was only $5 left for me. It could have been total lies for all know. My only memory of the breakdown was that his allocation for lunch seemed excessive. 🤔
09:16 PM - May 21, 2023
Alicia Kline
A
In response to Pamela.
Maybe he lumped a lot of things into the lunch category that he didn't want to list out? But at least I think he tried?????

Or he could be like my hubby, who likes to exaggerate how much money we DIDN'T have when our girls were younger.
09:29 PM - May 21, 2023
Maggie Waters
A
Not income figures but my mom especially communicated on bills and grocery costs, and we helped with shopping and coupons. She wasn't mean about things but she was honest about what could be bought, what had to be saved for and what was never going to be possible.
09:14 PM - May 21, 2023
Alicia Kline
A
In response to Maggie Waters.
That's helpful. I did go with my mom to the grocery store frequently, but she never explained if she kept to a budget, or what percentage of my dad's income (she didn't work) was being spent on food.
09:39 PM - May 21, 2023
Shai
A
I wasn't aware of how broke we were until I was an adult and my mom explained to me. Now, I did spend the rest of my childhood in foster care (9-21), but I didn't know there was any type of food insecurities until a few years ago when I talked to my mom.
09:10 PM - May 21, 2023
Alicia Kline
A
In response to Shai.
I don't remember ever not having food when I was growing up, but apparently my mom served tiny portions. I didn't realize that until I moved in with my now husband and started cooking for him. He was shocked that a family of four made a meal out of one box of Hamburger Helper and pickle spears.
09:54 PM - May 21, 2023
Mary ♿ Cairns
A
No but we had to work for our allowance. We all had jobs starting between 10-12 babysitting, yard work, and house cleaning. My siblings had retail jobs in HS while I still babysat and did house cleaning. We all paid for our senior year activities, makeup, books, not for school clothes.
08:51 PM - May 21, 2023
Alicia Kline
A
In response to Mary ♿ Cairns.
I grew up firmly on the lower end of lower middle class. I never remember not having food, but my parents drove old crappy cars and my first car cost $100. Really. Our house was in disrepair. Once I started working at 16, I paid for A LOT of my own stuff.
08:58 PM - May 21, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}