Alicia Kline
A
thread 1/5
Growing up, did your parents share how much money they made with you? Or how much certain expenses like rent/mortgage, car loans, or groceries cost each month?
08:42 PM - May 21, 2023
Alicia Kline
A
thread 2/5
I have a theory that those on both extremes of the class spectrum had a better idea of what was going on financially in their own household.
08:44 PM - May 21, 2023
Alicia Kline
A
thread 3/5
For example, it would be hard/impossible to keep homelessness or food insecurity completely hidden from your children.
08:46 PM - May 21, 2023
Alicia Kline
A
thread 4/5
And those that grew up very wealthy likely knew it, too.
08:47 PM - May 21, 2023
Alicia Kline
A
thread 5/5
Which leaves those in the "middle class", however you would define it. I think those kids were mostly blissfully unaware of what their parents' true budget situation was.
08:50 PM - May 21, 2023
Alicia Kline
A
I like the percentage idea.

I learned to answer the phone and lie that my mom wasn't there unless it was someone that I knew. I became the gatekeeper so that she wouldn't have to talk to the bill collectors.
In response to Socio-gen.
10:07 PM - May 21, 2023
Socio-gen
A
In response to Alicia Kline.
Same. Most debt collectors wouldn't yell at kids so we'd lie and take a message. She didn't tell us to, but we knew they upset her. I can't count how many times I'd wake up at night and see her sitting at the table with pen and paper trying to reconfigure the budget to find even five extra dollars.
10:15 PM - May 21, 2023
Socio-gen
A
In response to Socio-gen.
This made me think of a moment from high school, and how the middle class kids had no real concept of income.

I had a friend who didn't understand that I wasn't going on the class field trip because my mom couldn't afford the $20 (in 1983). She didn't understand why I wouldn't even ask.
10:38 PM - May 21, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}