Zeketayler
A
thread 1/1
What #Target and #AnheuserBusch did with the LGBTQ community was performative allyship.

Real allies don’t back away due to threats and allow the true victims of discrimination to continue to take the brunt of the abuse.

If you’re not willing to have skin in the game, you’re not an ally.
07:23 PM - May 25, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
In response to Zeketayler.
My angry rant about Target folding in the face of christofascist demands if you're interested in reading it:

https://post.news/@/eganma...
08:34 PM - May 25, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
I disagree about Target. They have supported the LGBTQ+ community for years, way before it became chic. They also supported their LGBTQ employees, some of whom over the years have been my friends. The tough decision they made was entirely about the safety of employees and lax American gun laws.
08:08 PM - May 25, 2023
Zeketayler
A
In response to Acey Deecey 🚀🚀.
Target should employ whatever measures necessary to protect their employees from bigots, but that should not include succumbing to the will of the bigots. Removing or moving trans items appeases the bigots - it doesn’t advance trans safety.
09:02 PM - May 25, 2023
Young Lesbian Dre
A
Yep. They did the opposite of what Disney is doing.
07:34 PM - May 25, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
"performative allyship"
Those are the precise words I was feeling but couldn't enunciate.
07:29 PM - May 25, 2023
Zeketayler
A
In response to Deb Prothero.
Performative allyship is where those with privilege, profess solidarity with a cause. This assumed solidarity is usually vocalized, disingenuous and potentially harmful to marginalized groups. Often, the performative ally professes allegiance in order to distance themselves from potential scrutiny.
07:46 PM - May 25, 2023
Nana of the Shire
A
Corporate version of peer pressure. People are getting so fricking weak. My generation was more likely to spit in the devils eye. Or maybe that’s just me.
07:27 PM - May 25, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}