Miriam
A
Good evening! Forgive my ignorance but I keep seeing talk about alt text for images and inclusivity. Can someone please explain it for me and others who are new to the concept? What is it and how do we use it? #AltText
11:05 AM - Feb 13, 2023 (Edited)
Linda Eisenstein
A
In response to Miriam.
Also when you screenshot a meme with text, it will just appear blank to a visually impaired person using a screen reader. Write the text in the ALT text as well as describing the image.
09:36 PM - Jul 12, 2023
Gregg DiChiara
A
In response to Miriam.
ALTTEXT is for visually impaired users who have difficulty knowing what is in photo or meme. ALTTEXT allows the original poster to type text describing the image so that the reader can use software to hear what the image is. Kind of like closed captioning.
11:12 AM - Feb 13, 2023
Miriam
A
In response to Gregg DiChiara.
Thank you!
11:16 AM - Feb 13, 2023
RA
A
In response to Miriam.
Some Blind folx have AI screenreaders that read the text of websites out loud. Alt text for an image that starts with "image of..." flags that the text describes the image, and ultimately allows the person to get full context for your post and fully engage with social media.
11:11 AM - Feb 13, 2023
Miriam
A
In response to RA.
Thank you. That's interesting!
11:16 AM - Feb 13, 2023
Kene Okpareke
A
In response to Miriam.
Same.
11:10 AM - Feb 13, 2023
Matlock
A
In response to Miriam.
When you upload a pic, before you spout, there should be a tag on the pic that says "alt text." Click it and you'll be prompted to enter a description of the pic. It's meant for those who, for one reason or another, cannot see the pic or see it well.

#AltText
11:09 AM - Feb 13, 2023
Miriam
A
In response to Matlock.
Thank you!!
11:12 AM - Feb 13, 2023
EdwardA(callmeEd)Peterson
A
In response to Matlock.
Here I thought the primary function was to facilitate picture searches.
12:26 PM - Feb 13, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}