Dennis A
A
I'm not sure many Spouties realize the timeline here is not controlled by an algorithm; just like Mastodon/Post. This means your behavior here should necessarily be different than on the bird app. We need to discuss why you should have more follows here and use echos more than you used retweets.
07:25 AM - Feb 13, 2023
Lil
A
In response to Dennis A.
Thank you for spreading the word.

I'm seeing spouts from folks explaining why they are restricting their follows or not following back. Everyone has the right (and responsibility) to structure their account as they see fit. I'm hoping, though, they understand that Spoutible works differently.
02:05 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Rev. Magdalen
A
Let's not do the "This place already has an established culture and newcomers can't change it" thing. That's what killed Mastodon. The first wave of beta testers were only here a few weeks before the latest people, we're all still forming a culture now.
In response to Lil.
02:52 PM - Feb 13, 2023
bunny h
A
In response to Rev. Magdalen.
mastodon is far from dead though your point about culture gatekeeping is well-taken! the fediverse may not be the solution but it definitely has potential to be part of it. i have concerns about this place too (since spoutible is also a commercial walled garden), but i’m exploring them all
01:20 PM - Feb 19, 2023
Ground Control
A
Indeed, it should keep evolving as it grows. With that said, let us agree that some things from the dead bird app should stay there.
05:29 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Rev. Magdalen
A
In response to Ground Control.
I guess figuring out which things those should be is the work before us. I don't agree with those who hate virality and algorithmic curation. A true trending algorithm doesn't show you corporate-chosen content, it shows you content that has moved most humans that saw it. It's how we resisted.
07:24 AM - Feb 19, 2023 (Edited)
Lil
A
My spout is about this technical (not cultural) fact: No algorithm is driving or downgrading posts into or away from what we see. I'm hoping people realize that they control much of their experience here.

The Fediverse (Mastodon) is thriving and vibrant. Similar to what looks to be happening here
03:25 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Rev. Magdalen
A
In response to Lil.
Many walled gardens appear vibrant to those within them, but they're still siloed spaces unable to help raise awareness of marginalized voices. Unless you have a friend of a friend who was into BLM or MeToo, you wouldn't have seen those.
07:27 AM - Feb 19, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}