Christopher Webb
A
As an AP History parent of two, AP African American Studies wasn’t offered to my kids. As a history lover, I took the opportunity to follow along in my son’s History book. Other than slavery, MLK & Rosa Parks, no one reading that book would have any idea that Blacks have made major contributions to
05:58 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Sherry Finkel
A
In response to Christopher Webb.
There's a lot of progress made and a lot more progress that needs to be made. Wikimedia is trying to increase BIPOC entries. We are writing women back into our history. (Your graphic did not include Constance Motley, just Thurgood Marshall. Grrrr.) I take exception when 'notable' is defined as '
11:46 AM - Oct 07, 2023 (Edited)
Sherry Finkel
A
In response to Sherry Finkel.
Sorry...when I went to edit, I cut myself off. What I was trying to say is that I take exception when 'notable' is defined as 'famous.'.
11:48 AM - Oct 07, 2023
Mlb Anx
A
And there’s so very much more!
12:23 AM - Jul 14, 2023
♿ ♀️ Laura Durnell
A
An African American invented the traffic light.
09:49 PM - Jul 13, 2023
Karl Eberle
A
I learned a fair bit from watching the tv show Blackish - it is where I first learned about Junetenth for example (and I'm Canadian) we didn't cover a lot of other history - even Indigenous people's history was not taught.
06:00 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Ty$ Ross
A
It’s up to us to make our voices heard and solidify our place in this country’s growth, development and innovation.
01:10 AM - Feb 15, 2023
The Best Karen
A
LOVE IT!
08:55 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Auntie D ?
A
Interesting I learn a lot about America and its past from reading through all these threads. Such a lot of the past of my country, South Africa, is whitewashed and hidden too. What many of us known were passed down by mouth.
12:27 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Dianne Rees
A
I wish a University/College would partner with Coursera or EdX to offer a robust course based on diverse sources that HS students could take for college credit regardless of whether their HS offers it.
09:59 PM - Feb 13, 2023
K S Hernandez
A
In response to Dianne Rees.
I love this idea!
10:11 PM - Feb 13, 2023
BnJ_ Bb_H
A
Thank you for sharing.
09:54 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Maria OLeary
A
I love this thank you for sharing!
09:45 PM - Feb 13, 2023
K S Hernandez
A
It's up to us to teach our children about Black history. It's so sad that other children will be deprived of its depth and meaning to the world.
08:20 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Lisa Borquez
A
I love this so hard!
08:16 PM - Feb 13, 2023
BeeClone
B
A rich history we should all want to know.
07:58 PM - Feb 13, 2023
steveN b
A
Banning the teaching of Black history is based upon a racist foundation, not upon a genuine concern for the mental health of all the ‘other’ children. I do not believe the ‘other’ children are not bright enough to learn the truth, or are too fragile to accept it. Educators and non-racist parents con
07:44 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Archie Leach
A
Which textbook? AP US History covers more than that. Among other topics are the Great Migration, Jazz Age, and more complexity about civil rights. The book you cite sounds like middle school text. From the College Board website:
https://apstudents.college...
07:19 PM - Feb 13, 2023
junerose32
B
Honestly I have learned more Black history from this site in the last few days than I did in my entire K-12 education. Thank you!
06:42 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Kimberley Stop Right Wing Terror
B
That's why we need a Black History Month. Black excellence and achievement have been white washed out of U.S. history. Equally as troubling is that white atrocity has also been removed. That's why I always say we need to get to where Black History Month is a celebration not an education
06:41 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Aaron Smith
A
The teaching of Black History in American schools is terribly inadequate. I realized it a few years ago when I thought back on my school days. They make it sound like things have been fine since the 60s. I got so mad thinking about it that I wrote a song about it.
We can’t let the GOP make it worse
06:38 PM - Feb 13, 2023
MsFahrenheit
A
B/t middle school & high school u get 2 yrs of state history. Civil Rights is taught in 1 unit of a 9 weeks. Civil Rights includes Women's suffrage also. So, maybe a week & a half? All districts r different but check this out & know it bf a board member lies at a SB meeting ab CRT suffocating kids.
06:37 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Barbara Seiders
A
I've learned more Black history on social media than I ever did in school.
06:30 PM - Feb 13, 2023
dariasteigman
A
And, hi. Welcome to Spoutible .Was just thinking yesterday that I was missing you over here.
06:10 PM - Feb 13, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}