John Haakenson
A
thread 1/2
I’m pleased the indictments of Trump have finally occurred but the assignment of Aileen Connors to the case is mind numbingly insane. Judge assignment’s are “random” but if there was ever a train wreck in the making, this is an obvious one. The 11th Circuit should have stepped in proactively.
09:44 AM - Jun 11, 2023 (Edited)
John Haakenson
A
thread 2/2
Certainly that could have been applied before with the Special Prosecutor mess but wasn’t. I don’t think the legal system has anything like that. It’s not often that a judge at any level covers a trial of the person who appointed them. Common sense suggest it’s a conflict of interest.
12:41 PM - Jun 11, 2023
CK. DexterHaven
A
In response to John Haakenson.
I agree on face, but what happens if you make it to say scotus? Do three justices have to recuse? Does that then impact other issues around fairness if the full court doesn’t hear him? (Note that I think trump is guilty as F and deserves prison)
01:48 PM - Jun 11, 2023
John Haakenson
A
In response to CK. DexterHaven.
Yeah it can get messy. I don’t know the rules on this. We’re talking about a judge case assignment, not a trial case decision. Don’t know the makeup of the 11th Circuit but my thought was they should have assigned the matter to someone other than her. Don’t know if that could be appealed.
11:07 AM - Jun 14, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}