Atheist Spinster
A
thread 1/3
The worst part of watching home-renovation shows is seeing how ableist & pointlessly-painful that most "designs" are. Narrow doorways, spine-crushing barstools, multi-level stoopidity "designed" to hobble the disabled & elderly... fucking clueless or outright hostile.
NOT EVERYONE IS 30 YEARS...
04:14 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Atheist Spinster
A
thread 2/3
OLD AND AN AEROBICS INSTRUCTOR.

Stairs are discriminatory. Stoopid nooks & crannies block-out people in wheelchairs & on walkers. Split-level designs TRIP AND HARM PEOPLE. Foo-foo lighting fucks with sight-limited people and people with cataracts. NONE of these designs MAKE ROOM FOR ASSISTANCE...
04:18 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Atheist Spinster
A
thread 3/3
ANIMALS. It's like the real-estate cults don't want ANYONE to be comfortable or comforted at home, we're just holding the space until their next commission.

HGTV: DO. BETTER. Your whole audience are not El Rons or other ableist cripple-haters. HANDICAPPED PEOPLE OWN HOMES. Y'ALL GOTTA CATCH UP.
04:21 PM - Jul 05, 2023
MaggieMae
A
In response to Atheist Spinster.
09:20 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Atheist Spinster
A
In response to MaggieMae.
Why, thank you!
09:38 PM - Jul 05, 2023 (Edited)
Violetta
A
I'm so glad that you spouted this issue. Embarrassingly I must admit that I never thought about this as it relates to home design or rehab shows on TV. Going forward, I will NEVER look at these shows without a critical eye for accommodations and inclusiveness.
#EyesOpened
#NewWayOfThinking
06:54 PM - Jul 05, 2023
2PupsMommy
A
As a disabled person, we have had to be very conscious about trying to buy single level homes. This last time, we just couldn't find one. We had to pay to fill in the "sunken living room" with a ridiculous amount of (very expensive) concrete. And there are still single steps at all entrance doors.->
06:48 PM - Jul 05, 2023
2PupsMommy
A
In response to 2PupsMommy.
-> It's very frustrating as I know that someday I will most likely be wheelchair bound. Retrofitting a house is so much harder than it needs to be.
06:51 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Robert Westbrook, Aircraft and Accordion Repair
A
I can imagine a whole series where the builders design & renovate homes exclusively for disabled people. I'd bet there are a LOT of novel designs, gadgets, and ways of laying things out that would surprise and amaze people, and exposure to their realities might cause people to demand those features.
05:49 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Atheist Spinster
A
In response to Robert Westbrook, Aircraft and Accordion Repair.
We've got a whole passel of TV producers & directors on here @ Spoutible, so let's get this going! #TV #TVProducers
06:01 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Evolve Undefined
A
In response to Robert Westbrook, Aircraft and Accordion Repair.
That would be amazing !!
07:42 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Al Gray
A
They are working on putting a stop to the disabled owning homes. People with disabilities try to live their whole lives in a house they've made into a home. That really fucks up their profits.
04:38 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Atheist Spinster
A
In response to Al Gray.
Ayyuuup. All about turnover. And real-estate scum HATE IT when people don't just move whenever they, the agents, need a paycheck.

If I ever hit the powerball, I'm going to build an entire development for the disabled, including a paralyzed-accessible swimming pool. An INDOOR, *HEATED* POOL!!!
04:43 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Miss Lil' Bit Angie
A
I thought I was the only one who called things foo foo 😂 But I am in complete agreement. 💜♾️
04:32 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Atheist Spinster
A
In response to Miss Lil' Bit Angie.
🤣😁 Foo-foo shit just pisses me off! Design doesn't require that everything be TOO MUCH. It's nauseating. Simple & functional is elegant. Pointless cutesy shit gags me.
04:35 PM - Jul 05, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}