Atheist Spinster
A
thread 1/3
The worst part of watching home-renovation shows is seeing how ableist & pointlessly-painful that most "designs" are. Narrow doorways, spine-crushing barstools, multi-level stoopidity "designed" to hobble the disabled & elderly... fucking clueless or outright hostile.
NOT EVERYONE IS 30 YEARS...
04:14 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Atheist Spinster
A
thread 2/3
OLD AND AN AEROBICS INSTRUCTOR.

Stairs are discriminatory. Stoopid nooks & crannies block-out people in wheelchairs & on walkers. Split-level designs TRIP AND HARM PEOPLE. Foo-foo lighting fucks with sight-limited people and people with cataracts. NONE of these designs MAKE ROOM FOR ASSISTANCE...
04:18 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Atheist Spinster
A
thread 3/3
ANIMALS. It's like the real-estate cults don't want ANYONE to be comfortable or comforted at home, we're just holding the space until their next commission.

HGTV: DO. BETTER. Your whole audience are not El Rons or other ableist cripple-haters. HANDICAPPED PEOPLE OWN HOMES. Y'ALL GOTTA CATCH UP.
04:21 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
My aging mom recently sold her 2-level home and bought what they call an "Age In Place" home, where there are zero steps (only 1 level) and every doorway is wide enough to accommodate a walker or wheelchair. It had to be newly constructed because homes like this are so hard to find.
In response to Atheist Spinster.
04:44 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Deb
A
In response to Mary OContrary.
We sold our 2 story home for a single level. We will likely stay here until at least one of dies. This is a starter/ender house. Walkers work fine and our neighbor lives in wheel chair. But built in 1975.
06:19 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Deb.
I honestly prefer older single-level “ranch-style” homes. Does yours have a nice porch? I miss having a large front porch.

I grew up in areas where ppl bought homes and stayed in them forever. Nowadays, all they want to build are McMansions that no first time homebuyer can afford.
06:29 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Atheist Spinster
A
In response to Mary OContrary.
Because back in the '70s & '80s, (and a lot now) all that they cared about was houses for young breeders. Old people were supposed to go to retirement homes.

It's great that they're building those aging-in-place homes now, but I doubt that the majority of seniors can afford them.
04:58 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Atheist Spinster.
You’re right. She paid as much for the smaller new home with half the sq footage as she got for the larger home she sold in the same city.

The newer homes being built near me have doorways so ridiculously narrow I can’t imagine how ppl get a couch through, and they start at $1.25M.
😬🙄
05:10 PM - Jul 05, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}