Cynthia Williams
A
Most people know the infamous story of Henrietta Lacks & her miracle cells. But do you know why her cells are called "The Immortals"?

Watch & learn the science behind this phenomenon.

#BlackHistoryMonth

https://www.youtube.com/wa...
Henrietta Lacks: The 'immortal' cells that changed the world - BBC REEL - YouTube

In 1951, Henrietta Lacks, a black woman from Baltimore, USA, died of cancer. However, cells taken from her body without her knowledge continued to grow and m...

09:13 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Elle Cohen
A
Her cells killed her. She had an incredibly aggressive cancer. Don’t call them a miracle! Please remember this was a tragedy for a family and that Cancer sucks!
In response to Cynthia Williams.
12:44 PM - Aug 05, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
In response to Elle Cohen.
I don't think the science world is trying to disrespect Ms. Lacks or her legacy by calling her cells miraculous; it's quite the opposite. Scientists are stating a fact. Her cancer cells are an extraordinary exception in every way and that's why they were used. I hope this explanation helps.
05:18 AM - Aug 06, 2023
Elle Cohen
A
In response to Cynthia Williams.
I don’t either.I used them in the lab all the time. They are beautiful, but after reading the book, I thought how awful, bc the things that have allowed them to be cultured in a lab is the same as the thing that killed this women. The book should be required reading for biology related grad students
07:48 AM - Aug 06, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
In response to Elle Cohen.
Elie, I understand your distress about the fact the Lacks' cells are called "miracle" cells because they were cancer cells that killed her. The term "miracle" is used by experts to describe the cells because they are the only human cells to,

1. Double in count every 24 hours.
2. Never die.
05:13 AM - Aug 06, 2023 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}