Cynthia Williams
A
Most people know the infamous story of Henrietta Lacks & her miracle cells. But do you know why her cells are called "The Immortals"?

Watch & learn the science behind this phenomenon.

#BlackHistoryMonth

https://www.youtube.com/wa...
Henrietta Lacks: The 'immortal' cells that changed the world - BBC REEL - YouTube

In 1951, Henrietta Lacks, a black woman from Baltimore, USA, died of cancer. However, cells taken from her body without her knowledge continued to grow and m...

09:13 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Joe JustUs
A
In response to Cynthia Williams.
This should be mandatory during Black History Month. I did not appreciate Oprah’s biography of her at all.
09:08 PM - Dec 15, 2023
Elle Cohen
A
Her cells killed her. She had an incredibly aggressive cancer. Don’t call them a miracle! Please remember this was a tragedy for a family and that Cancer sucks!
12:44 PM - Aug 05, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
In response to Elle Cohen.
Elie, I understand your distress about the fact the Lacks' cells are called "miracle" cells because they were cancer cells that killed her. The term "miracle" is used by experts to describe the cells because they are the only human cells to,

1. Double in count every 24 hours.
2. Never die.
05:13 AM - Aug 06, 2023 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
In response to Elle Cohen.
I don't think the science world is trying to disrespect Ms. Lacks or her legacy by calling her cells miraculous; it's quite the opposite. Scientists are stating a fact. Her cancer cells are an extraordinary exception in every way and that's why they were used. I hope this explanation helps.
05:18 AM - Aug 06, 2023
Anne Worner
A
I did not know this story. I am so happy to have seen it
Everyday, I look for moments of AWE, and this is such a moment. I will share this with my friends.
09:24 PM - Feb 24, 2023
Kate Webster
A
The book was amazing! I don’t read much nonfiction but it was fascinating, if sad. And full of cool science stuff as well as the personal story.
06:35 PM - Feb 17, 2023
Diana Raabe
A
and by all means, read the book! The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot #books #BookSpout #bookspoutible #booknerd #BookRecs
03:38 PM - Feb 17, 2023
Arthur Grupp
A
Excellent book as well by Rebecca Skloot
01:37 PM - Feb 17, 2023
Phil Boiarski
A
Not to diss the "I'm waiting for the movie crowd," the book "The Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks" is an easy read, full of insights into labs before computers and the white privilege and sexism inherent in academic research.
01:29 PM - Feb 17, 2023
Gretchen Smith
A
In response to Phil Boiarski.
They made a movie.
01:38 PM - Feb 17, 2023
Jan Hobbs
A
❤️💜💙
09:26 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Anne