Cynthia Williams
A
Most people know the infamous story of Henrietta Lacks & her miracle cells. But do you know why her cells are called "The Immortals"?

Watch & learn the science behind this phenomenon.

#BlackHistoryMonth

https://www.youtube.com/wa...
Henrietta Lacks: The 'immortal' cells that changed the world - BBC REEL - YouTube

In 1951, Henrietta Lacks, a black woman from Baltimore, USA, died of cancer. However, cells taken from her body without her knowledge continued to grow and m...

09:13 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Elle Cohen
A
In response to Cynthia Williams.
Her cells killed her. She had an incredibly aggressive cancer. Don’t call them a miracle! Please remember this was a tragedy for a family and that Cancer sucks!
12:44 PM - Aug 05, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
I don't think the science world is trying to disrespect Ms. Lacks or her legacy by calling her cells miraculous; it's quite the opposite. Scientists are stating a fact. Her cancer cells are an extraordinary exception in every way and that's why they were used. I hope this explanation helps.
In response to Elle Cohen.
05:18 AM - Aug 06, 2023
Elle Cohen
A
In response to Cynthia Williams.
I don’t either.I used them in the lab all the time. They are beautiful, but after reading the book, I thought how awful, bc the things that have allowed them to be cultured in a lab is the same as the thing that killed this women. The book should be required reading for biology related grad students
07:48 AM - Aug 06, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}