Caryl D
A
I need advice.
I went to school online part time for 5 yrs &in December I graduate with an AAB in Paralegal Studies. I am retired from a 40 yr storied career as a Speech Pathologist.
I have started searching for jobs& I am nervous about having no experience.
I haven’t had to interview in decades
10:16 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Kate Rullo
A
In response to Caryl D.
I have experience as a paralegal (30 years). It’s a great field. There may be a lane for you with your background.
I don’t work in that area, but I’m happy to help. Feel free to message me.
09:50 AM - Aug 07, 2023
Caryl D
A
In response to Kate Rullo.
I send you a DM
Thanks
10:32 AM - Aug 07, 2023
Mary S
A
In response to Caryl D.
Best advice I ever got & always passed to my (college students) employees is don't focus on job TITLES you've had. Instead break each job down to specific tasks & skills you used to do them. First, it's a big boost to see how much you know ! 😊 But it also helps you frame your experience.
12:53 AM - Aug 07, 2023
Caryl D
A
In response to Mary S.
Thank you for the wisdom…I am trying to figure out where I fit..definitely not litigation.
As part of my last job, I was put to work off title as an internal investigator for the Justice Center so maybe that.
09:27 AM - Aug 07, 2023
blakemk
A
In response to Caryl D.
I work for a city that has decent sized city attorney office. I know they have opportunities there for people who are working towards their Paralegal degrees, so maybe check with your local government? City/County/etc. Good luck and and congratulations on your upcoming degree!
12:38 AM - Aug 07, 2023
Archie Leach
A
In response to Caryl D.
Wishing you much luck. I'm older and I moved. Since leaving my former school Ive been interviewing for a new teaching position. It's very hard. Be kind to yourself and realize that you have a ton of skills in problem solving and being flexible. These skills are valued EVERYWHERE.
10:40 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Caryl D
A
In response to Archie Leach.
Thanks for the advice and support.
Wishing you good luck in your search
10:45 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Kathleen Rupnow
A
In response to Caryl D.
Contact references and ask for a good reference. Perhaps, you will have a course instructor that could provide one. For a resume, I would suggest you use a Functional/Skills based one rather than a Chronological. Interviews are prepare, prepare, prepare. Try to get someone to do a mock one with you.
10:35 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Caryl D
A
In response to Kathleen Rupnow.
The functional resume was stressed in Practicum
Thank you
10:37 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Lil
A
In response to Caryl D.
Do you belong to a professional association for paralegals? For example, the NFPA has a career center on their website. They apparently offer resume review and interview practice. Lots of associations offer deeply discounted student memberships.
10:32 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Caryl D
A
In response to Lil.
Thanks
I will check it out tomorrow
10:38 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Veronica
A
In response to Caryl D.
You prob have a better sense of self than someone who is just starting out in the world of work. In addition to answering honestly, remember that you are also interviewing them—to ensure this is a place you want to spend so much of your precious time and energy. That alone will make you stand out.
10:31 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Lilhistorian
A
In response to Caryl D.
If you haven't already done so, would it be possible for you to volunteer a few hours a week at a pro bono organization, to gain some experience (and any kind of community experience always looks good on a resume).
10:27 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Caryl D
A
In response to Lilhistorian.
I was actually thinking of doing that with the pro Bono clinic at Suffolk Nassau Law
10:29 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Sneaky Burrito
A
In response to Caryl D.
I find that the firm I work at is perfectly willing to hire people right out of college, even those without the paralegal certificate (what our state offers). So play up the degree for sure as it would make you stand out above other job candidates.
10:25 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Caryl D
A
In response to Sneaky Burrito.
thank you…
10:27 PM - Aug 06, 2023
William Turner
A
In response to Caryl D.
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
10:22 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Caryl D
A
In response to William Turner.
Thank you…
I was thinking to see if my old state job has need for a paralegal
10:25 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Phred
A
In response to Caryl D.
Practice.
10:19 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Caryl D
A
In response to Phred.
I had an internship but it ended up that they used me for data entry for discovery
10:28 PM - Aug 06, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}