Diane Turner
A
thread 1/11
I have been off here dealing with some life issues. BUT I am thinking maybe the powerful Spoutible community can help me as it has before.

After all, what can't Spouties do? So:

CAN SPOUTIES HELP ME NETWORK TO FIND A NEW JOB AND CAREER?

Let me give more context....(thread to follow.)
08:51 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Diane Turner
A
thread 2/11
Vestiges of a major bereavement had me take a break in my career. Joining Spoutible was instrumental in my finding my voice again. I am ready and excited to get going on a new opportunity. I am hitting some traditional walls:

- Gap on resume
- Ageism in my career (over 45 yo women!)

Its scary!
09:00 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Diane Turner
A
thread 3/11
I am told I am over qualifed and my background is eclectic. But here is the deal:

- I am smart
- Enthusiastic
- Flexible
- Fun to be around
- A Global Thinker
- A Marketer
- Strong communicator of stories and ideas
- Have had great success in past

What have I specifically done?
09:07 AM - Sep 28, 2023 (Edited)
Diane Turner
A
thread 4/11
Most of my career has been in media sales and advertising. I am not married to it as it is a very young industry. So I want to see where my transferable skills can come into play.

I am looking for something to love. Where I am looked at as a person and not a piece of paper.
09:14 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Diane Turner
A
thread 5/11
Jobs I have had:

- Magazine publisher
- Advertising Sales Professional.
- Digital media exec
- VP sales and marketing teams.
- Consultant in Marketing technologies.
- E-commerce business selling art, vintage, and antiques (I love!)
- Non-profit fundraising experience

I am a square peg.
09:25 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Diane Turner
A
thread 6/11
On paper it is hard to place me. And I am better face to face than on my over qualified yet eclectic resume. Hard skills experience and strengths:

- Partnership Marketing/Sponsorships
- Strategic planning and development
- Event planning
- Public Relations
- B to B Sales Revenue Driving
- Writing
09:29 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Diane Turner
A
thread 7/11
Soft skills:

- Empathy
- Global Thinker who sees big picture
- I can wear many hats and always adapt.
- Strong creativity and Curiosity
- Unstoppable ideation
- Solutions driven problem solver
- Relationship builder
- Severe optimism
- Can do attitude
- Support the mission
- Work ethic
09:40 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Diane Turner
A
thread 8/11
What do I want?

- I am less about title but also prefer where I am needed, can make an impact, and can wear lots of hats.
- I have an entrepreneurial attitude and like to be around the same.
- Something I believe in whether product or cause that I can champion.
- I am open to ideas!
09:45 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Diane Turner
A
thread 9/11
What can you do?

- Make suggestions
- Share this thread
- Network me to people you know who are in interesting lines of work.
- Let me know if you have an opportunity or know of one.
- Be my cheerleader. Heading back in is scary.
- Share your stories.
09:48 AM - Sep 28, 2023 (Edited)
Diane Turner
A
thread 10/11
- I am open to work in the NYC area
- Remote work (and I can travel)
- And always work in the South of France or other equally exquisite locations (pipe dream.)
09:50 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Diane Turner
A
thread 11/11
Don't assume any opportunity is not interesting to me.

- I am looking for a new adventure in my career.
- I am willing to take a step back in pay and title so long as I can meet my overhead.
- I am open to all ideas!

Please leave comments and DMs. THANK YOU!
09:53 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Honey and pepper and roses en déshabillé
A
In response to Diane Turner.
I'll keep my ears open for you, nametwin. And in the meantime - my cheers behind you!!!!
12:51 PM - Oct 05, 2023
f r e d k i p t e r
A
hey ms popcorn, missed your spouts!
may your preparation meet opportunity, diane! iow, 'luck'

jic not suggested:

For career opportunities:
https://www.usajobs.gov/

Applicants interested in serving in a political appointment in Biden-Harris admin
https://www.whitehouse.gov...
08:28 PM - Oct 01, 2023
Katie in KY
A
Might i suggest looking at colleges or universities. From your skills and experience there could be a lot of opportunity for you there, like conference/event planner or marketing and communications directors. Nonprofits too, like Imagination Library have positions all over.
02:41 PM - Oct 01, 2023
Oongy Noodle
A
You mentioned consulting as a job you've had. Have you considered picking your favorite aspect(s) of you eclectic work history, and opening your own consulting business?
07:49 AM - Sep 30, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Oongy Noodle.
I think the issue I learned with consulting… it takes a while to build you business and it can be feast or famine. I am open to still consulting but I need security at the moment of steady pay and benefits.
03:28 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Lissa Price
A
If you haven't been hired yet, I'm seeing a lot of NYC jobs open now that might be a fit? Harper's Magazine looking for a digital manager, Publicity Manager at PRH, Associate Editor at Poets & Writers, and more. DM me if you're interested. Applications are by email.
02:27 AM - Sep 30, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Lissa Price.
DM on way.
03:29 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Lisa the Knitter
A
Have you considered looking into the legal tech or publishing industires? Your NYC location made those immediately come to mind. I'm currently a marketer (former creative), and I wish I had your enthusiasm for extroverted activities like event planning. I enjoy hunkering down behind a computer. 😅
12:18 AM - Sep 30, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
It sounds like you would be a godsend if you returned to non-profit work. The problem is they notoriously under pay, whether they just don't have the funds or they don't believe in paying folks right. I'll keep a look out as I'm looking for work as well.
12:07 PM - Sep 29, 2023
Jonathan Meyers
A
Can I DM you? I have been in the internet advertising field for 20 yrs so I'm definitely curious about:
- Advertising Sales Professional.
- Digital media exec
- VP sales and marketing teams.
I run a small but successful advertising/marketing agency & know other people who do. Maybe we should chat.
06:36 AM - Sep 29, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Jonathan Meyers.
Yes Jonathon you may. I also saw your Linkedin invite.
07:58 AM - Sep 29, 2023
Sue Paz
A
Good to see you again, Diane.
I wish you confidence and the knowledge that every step is valuable.

Bring on the universe!
05:02 AM - Sep 29, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Sue Paz.
Thank you Sue! I appreciate!
07:59 AM - Sep 29, 2023
K Ray
A
Wow! You have amazing skills! I'm retired from the museum profession, so thinking along those lines, have you considered doing PR/Marketing, or Development/Fundraising/Grant-writing for the museums in your area, or beyond? Try here, https://aam-us-jobs.career...
02:21 AM - Sep 29, 2023
K Ray
A
In response to K Ray.
BTW, if you want to try this route & get your foot in the door, literally get your foot in the door by making appointments w/the Executive Directors of the museums in the area, and go meet with them about the museum field, your skills, and where your career could lead in the field, even France!
02:27 AM - Sep 29, 2023
Friends of Pine Ridge Reservation
A
No leads, but I will echo to get more eyes on this for you. Good luck with your job hunt Diane!
08:36 PM - Sep 28, 2023
Jim Flanigan
A
a So nice to see you back
b I will keep your skillset in mind
c First thing that struck me was ‘what companies or industries in your area do a really lousy job in relation to your skillset?’
d Don’t rule out civil service
03:02 PM - Sep 28, 2023
Caryl D
A
I suggest this:
government jobs are great for allowing transferable skills
With your skill set, you will most likely qualify for higher paying jobs

State and federal jobs have good benefits
Federal has 20 year pension
02:48 PM - Sep 28, 2023
Barbara Seiders
A
Diane, Good luck in your adventure! If you can do it, I recommend setting up a small company. It is generally easy and inexpensive to do, can help with the gap issue, and shows initiative versus a sustained period of unemployment.
02:46 PM - Sep 28, 2023
Barbara Seiders
A
In response to Barbara Seiders.
Plus, some companies are more likely to contract for services than hire full time employees, so you could actually use it to get work while you're looking for work. Contracting can also give you the benefit of scoping a place out w/o committing to a full time hire.
02:48 PM - Sep 28, 2023
E Z
A
Find Fawn Weaver CEO of Uncle Nearest / Nathan Green co.
Their current growth is exponential.
02:40 PM - Sep 28, 2023
Haruka (RELOCATED)
A
I honestly don’t know if this would be of interest to you, maybe more of a side job, but do you know of Respeaking? It’s how the captions get onto video. It’s something that really helps people in education, for example (the captions can go on lectures, etc.) It’s usually done from home.
02:26 PM - Sep 28, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Haruka (RELOCATED).
Sounds interesting! Let’s DM about it
02:27 PM - Sep 28, 2023
Ugbana Otikor
A
Diane can I DM you? I want to tell you something
01:57 PM - Sep 28, 2023
Mike P
A
Persactly why I'm finishing up my masters in a career field that I've never worked. Great luck on your journey!
01:29 PM - Sep 28, 2023
Salma Typhii
A
After COVID a bunch of public health agencies and nonprofits realized that they are terrible marketers and this antivaxx thing is out of hand. You might enjoy working in public health marketing/risk communications
01:28 PM - Sep 28, 2023
Claudia Hall Christian (She/Her)
A
Hi Diane, What is your purpose? It's a lot easier to figure out what might be a good fit if I knew what you believe if your purpose in this life.
01:28 PM - Sep 28, 2023
Robin Schwartz
A
Diane, I’m awed by your moxie (in the best possible way). Your skills, hard & soft, are wide-ranging & impressive. Plus you outlined them, & your values, beautifully—& I’m a picky ex-journo!

I’m flabbergasted that companies aren’t lining up to hire you. No ideas at the moment but will keep in mind.
11:41 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Robin Schwartz.
This is so kind of you to say. I am highly appreciative you took the time to write.

Sometimes you just may know an interesting person who is open to networking. They may not have a position but they might know someone who knows someone. Networking is my friend.
12:36 PM - Sep 28, 2023
Pamela
A
If I think of something (or hear of an opportunity) I’ll let you know. Echoing in the meantime.
I hope you find something fun (with good pay)!!!
11:11 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Pamela.
That would be ideal. Right now I just hope to find something fast!
11:11 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Whoa!
A
I don't have any ideas yet but I'll keep my ears open for you. Good luck with your job search.
10:29 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Whoa!.
Thanks Whoa!
10:34 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Samantha (Sam) Westcott
A
I've spent my career in academia and you might find a fit there for you. There are lots of opportunities in marketing on the development/fundraising side, there are communications professionals needed, too.

Many remote working possibilities. Benefits good. Pay fair.

We can DM if you wish.
10:28 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Samantha (Sam) Westcott.
Samantha. A long time ago I thought I would be in Academia. So I think it is a great idea. DM coming your way.
11:23 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Samantha (Sam) Westcott.
DM sent.
12:58 PM - Sep 28, 2023
Miss Lil' Bit Angie
A
Omg sis. 😢 You have been in my thoughts. Big hug. 🫂💜♾️
10:17 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Eltee Ryan
A
I've been in real estate my entire adult life, all sides of it-sales/rentals/marketing/admin/title. Starting off as a Realtor is a great jumping point-or a place to stay depending on your success. Realtors are basically self employed, you get out of it what you put into it. Youre also helping people
10:13 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Eltee Ryan.
Under certain circumstances it is a great idea. My sister is a realtor. To be honest, I need the stability of a steady paycheck and the medical benefits that go along with a company job. I was an entrepreneur when my guy passed away. Grief had me shut down my business. I need to refill my reserves.
10:18 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Sarah Apfel
A
Hey you've been missed! Can't think of anything ATMO, but I'll ask around & have Echoed this. But in the meantime, I'm cohosting an event & we always have a good mix of people, so maybe stop by to network, help save Democracy, & have a beverage or 3? 🫠🥰🍷

https://spoutible.com/thre...
10:10 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Sarah Apfel.
And get to meet Sarah while having cheap drinks! I am there! Thanks friend. I have missed you all too. I have been hunkered down in existential crisis. 🤪
11:06 AM - Sep 28, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}