Anthony Lee
A
Glass jars can be a big pain in the ass to open.

Usually, I can open them with my bare hands, usually in three tries. But just now, I had a jar of relish whose lid wouldn't budge. I had to put on an oven mitten before trying, and that opened the jar so easily.

I prefer plastic jars any day. 🙂
08:51 PM - Sep 29, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
In response to Anthony Lee.
Besides all the banging tricks, many of which I use, using a beer can opener (the rounded end, not the pointed one) under the jar lid sometimes easily breaks the seal. It's all about popping the vacuum in the jar, which is why these tricks work.
08:19 PM - Sep 30, 2023
Melissa
A
Banging the top of the lid straight down flat on the counter or cutting board makes it easy to open, almost every time. It does no damage and loosens for opening.
12:26 AM - Sep 30, 2023
Lynda Creech
A
I don't think there is such a thing as micro glass particles in our bodies, oceans, lakes, clouds...
09:35 PM - Sep 29, 2023
Liz Adams
A
I try banging the jar on the counter, lid down. It often works to break the vacuum, and it relieves my annoyance.
09:26 PM - Sep 29, 2023
James O'Shea
A
I run the edge of the lid under hot water. The metal lid expands faster than the glass jar. Lid spins right off.
09:07 PM - Sep 29, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
In response to James O'Shea.
Thanks for the tip. 🙂
09:14 PM - Sep 29, 2023
Nice_Lady
A
In response to James O'Shea.
No kidding? I have early arthritis in my thumbs and I'm really hopeful your trick will help. Thanks for posting!
09:43 AM - Sep 30, 2023
Karen Dykstra
A
Sometimes I just push the edge of a butterknife into the side of the lid to get some air into the jar.
08:57 PM - Sep 29, 2023
Stig & The Grumble
A
In response to Karen Dykstra.
I take a butter knife and smack the edge of the lid with the handle in four or five spots and the lid spins off.
08:59 PM - Sep 29, 2023
Karen Springer
A
In response to Karen Dykstra.
I use a spoon, to do the same. Use the side of the jar, as leverage.
09:03 PM - Sep 29, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}