Read aBannedBook
A
Do you pay attention to book reviews or go by friends' recommendations? In other words, how do you decide which book to read next?
05:54 PM - Oct 04, 2023
PJ
A
In response to Read aBannedBook.
I go to our library's web page daily to see what is on order & if something interests me, I will put it on hold. Our library also has a fine collection of Graphic novels which I seem to have rediscovered an interest in.
10:17 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Carole
A
Back when I used to library, I would look for ones that had been re-bound, cause they were obviously loved and read. Sometimes whoever bound it would have pasted the blurbs that had been inside the cover. Found some lovely books that way. Now I like to check out awards lists.
08:51 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Steven McDermott
A
I bounce authors off my sister. We meet every Monday and books nearly always come up
08:22 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Donna Maderer
A
Friend’s recommendations, cover art (yes really) and, if I’m unfamiliar with the author, I read the first few pages.
08:06 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Governor McCheese
A
In response to Donna Maderer.
Nothing wrong with being swayed by cover art!
09:13 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Verifiably Nobody
A
Intriguing titles was always my way into books.
07:59 PM - Oct 04, 2023
DianeInNashville TN
A
I read the summary, check reviews, and usually read the opening page. If the opening doesn’t appeal, I’m done. For audiobooks, a lot hangs on the narrator. If I don’t like the voice, I’m out.
07:54 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to DianeInNashville TN.
I have never listened to an audio book ...
07:57 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Snow Girl ❄️
A
I read the blurb inside or on the back of the book. Sometimes a friend will mention a book. Sometimes I will read a book because there was a buzz going around but I'm often disappointed with those. I never read reviews.
07:19 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Dwoodmom-Boomer for Biden
A
I definitely read others review of a book. I also recognize that people have different opinions. It’s a bit of both actually.
07:10 PM - Oct 04, 2023
scribblegurl
A
Reading is highly subjective, so I just browse until i find something that seems interesting. I read the back cover synopsis & then the first page or 2. If i want to keep reading, I obtain the book. Otherwise, I move on. I often look into books I hear buzz about or that someone on SocMe talks about.
06:57 PM - Oct 04, 2023 (Edited)
M Segal
A
In response to scribblegurl.
I do the same thing. As a former reading teacher, I must get pulled in by reading the first few pages. I love biographies, historical fiction & non-fiction. Also, I’ve read many books about the Holocaust & World War II, because it was part of my curriculum.
07:51 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
I don't read reviews. Sometimes a friend may tell me about a good book, but it is usually me telling others. I find my reads mostly by being stopped by an interesting title, and then I read what the book is about, mostly it is just my magical ability to pick a great book, for me.
06:48 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Molly McKinney
A
Most of my friends are librarians, teachers, and editors and then I follow more of those people on social media

So, I already get more recommendations than I could read before I turn one thousand with just that 😁
06:38 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Molly McKinney
A
In response to Molly McKinney.
Honestly based on my TBR pile I shouldn’t consider any new books ever again, yet here we are
06:45 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Bad Hombre Resistor
A
"His Dark Materials" got rave reviews, but I honestly had a hard time getting through it. I'd rather get recommendations from people I know.
06:31 PM - Oct 04, 2023

Only followers of this user (MaryPocrnic) can see their posts

I don't need a "cure"
A
I usually read reviews or go by librarian recommendations. But sometimes if it's a genre I like I just read it without reading reviews. Sometimes I just read the summary or just randomly read a book based on the cover. Like the Memory Artists. Doesn't always work out. But that one did.
06:26 PM - Oct 04, 2023
scribblegurl
A
In response to I don't need a "cure".
When I worked at Barnes & Noble, there was an ARC of Nicholas Drayson's "A Guide to the Birds of East Africa" in the breakroom, which I started reading out of boredom while I was eating lunch one day, and it turned out to be the best book I read that entire year. Still in my Top 10.
07:05 PM - Oct 04, 2023
scribblegurl
A
In response to I don't need a "cure".
I should clarify that the reason i started reading it when i was bored is that it's just not generally the kinda of book I read. It's literary or general fiction, and i usually read other genres.
11:56 AM - Oct 05, 2023
Sarah Gioia
A
Both of those things will guide me to do a little research on a book and see if it's for me. Neither of those things alone will *usually* persuade me unless it's a very special book buddy.
06:21 PM - Oct 04, 2023

Only followers of this user (knitquiltsewst1) can see their posts

Doctor Michael
A
Usually through recommendations. Some genres I will read regardless, which is hit or miss.
06:14 PM - Oct 04, 2023
My Flying Car 2020
A
I like to find book reviews that aren't by book reviewers - comments from other readers - in addition to whatever press/marketing I can find.
06:08 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to My Flying Car 2020.
I don't use Goodreads, but that sounds like Goodreads.
06:12 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Kat Schneider
A
I like to look through the recent arrivals at our library & read a few pages, then pick one that is interesting to me..
Similar at a book store.
06:03 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Kat Schneider.
When I worked at a large research library, I had massive amounts of choices within easy reach.
06:13 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Honorary Doctor of Sass
A
Summary of the book 📕 on the back.
06:03 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Jenny S
A
In response to Honorary Doctor of Sass.
I'm confused by the many people whose answers aren't this.
12:05 AM - Oct 05, 2023
Annie Bee Good
A
Typically, friends/family recommend and I read the summary to decide. Occasionally, I'll hear an author interview and I'm intrigued.
06:02 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Melissa Griffith ☕ aka Masker
A
1. If my SIL recommends, I get the book.
2. I browse and read descriptions until something hooks me.
3. Sometimes, I just like the cover. 😁
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Melissa Griffith ☕ aka Masker.
It's nice to have a person who is a trusting recommender.
06:15 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Deb
A
I depend on book reviews. I don’t know anyone who likes to read most of what I read.
Governor McCheese
A
1. Reading descriptions of books by authors or publishers I like.
2. Recommendations by other readers
3. "Must read" lists
4. Asking a bookseller!
06:01 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Governor McCheese.
Booksellers are a wealth of information; why brick and mortar bookstores are important.
06:16 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Kathleen F789
A
My former library always had staff suggestions, which were interesting and had a lot of variety. I miss that. I have a lot of reader friends and family, so I generally go with their suggestions vs. reviews.
06:01 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Susan Simon
A
I tend to catch interviews with authors and then decide to read the book. Today was Safiya Sinclair on Terry Gross' show. "How to Say Babylon."
05:59 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Pat Moore
A
I kind of do both. I read the NYT book reviews and also keep my ears open
05:57 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Missy McMurray
A
Both. I do follow lots of book blogs and must read lists as well.
05:56 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
Every now and then I'll hear a review on NPR that'll inspire me to read the book. Generally it's just random what I read...
05:56 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
Serendipity is good.
06:17 PM - Oct 04, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}