Zeketayler
A
thread 1/8
The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is complicated. As a child, I remember sitting at Shabbat meals listening to my parents talk about carpet-bombing the Gaza Strip and West Bank; that was 30 years ago.
10:31 AM - Oct 08, 2023
Zeketayler
A
thread 2/8
Some attitudes of the Jewish people towards Palestinians are generational and unfortunately at times racist. Trauma from thousands of years of persecution cannot be discounted but also cannot be justified to oppress other people.
Zeketayler
A
thread 3/8
I am older now and have my own thoughts about the state of Israel and the Palestinians. I do not believe Israel should drive the Palestinians into the sea. I do not believe all Israelis hate Palestinians. I do not believe all Palestinians hate Israelis.
Zeketayler
A
thread 4/8
Israel deserves to exist as a Jewish state, and to defend itself from harm, but it does not deserve to exist at all costs. Israel cannot be above reproach on how it has and continues to treat the Palestinians who are also victims of living under a terrorist regime (Hamas).
10:31 AM - Oct 08, 2023 (Edited)
Zeketayler
A
thread 5/8
I certainly would not want the world to have judged me while living under the Trump administration, and I can’t imagine how helpless many Palestinians feel having no power to change their leadership. Palestinians also deserve to defend themselves and live in peace.
10:32 AM - Oct 08, 2023
Zeketayler
A
thread 6/8
Israeli leadership also needs to take responsibility for past failures in Palestinian relations and change the narrative on how human beings living around their country are perceived. The ends never justify the means, and if Palestinians are always degraded they will never be seen as equals.
Zeketayler
A
thread 7/8
The Israeli-Palestinian conflict has been going on for as long as Israeli has existed. In this particular conflict, the answer to peace is not blaming one side. I do not live in Israel, I cannot vote there, I will never be forced to serve in their military.
Zeketayler
A
thread 8/8
But I love Israel as much as I love America. At times I am disgusted with America, and other times I am proud. The same applies to Israel. There is much to be done, but whatever work occurs, it must be done with respect, empathy and dignity for all those who are suffering.
Penelope Lowder
A
In response to Zeketayler.
Ralph Bunche is turning over in his grave.
01:19 PM - Oct 08, 2023
Penelope Lowder
A
Ralph Bunche must be turning over in his grave.
“Why can’t everybody just get along?”- Rodney King
12:56 PM - Oct 08, 2023 (Edited)
André Ware
A
Thanks for sharing you perspective. That's real, that's Truth, that's the world WE live in, imho. None of US are positively served by blind loyalty.
12:43 PM - Oct 08, 2023
Bev Turner
A
Great thread. Thank you.
12:31 PM - Oct 08, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
I am so heartened to see the nuanced dialogue & thoughtful spouts here. It gives me hope.
12:00 PM - Oct 08, 2023
Lisa OVC
A
Excellent and thoughtful perspective...I hope we as the world can help usher in peace for both Israel and Palestine countries and stop this cycle...
11:54 AM - Oct 08, 2023
The Reluctant Townie
A
Thank you so much for sharing this. Heartfelt, personal writing is so valuable. I often wonder if the withdrawal from Gaza could have been handled in a more structured manner, and what the outcome may have been. But the past is the past. Do take care, you and yours.
11:03 AM - Oct 08, 2023
DBA
A
Excellent thread, I feel very similar about this.
10:39 AM - Oct 08, 2023
NorthCoast TerryMerryJoan
A
Thank you for naming the complications. It is further complicated by “friend” states in either side with less than honorable influence staging proxy wars. All with the lives of innocents in the balance.
10:35 AM - Oct 08, 2023 (Edited)
Jerry Wechsler
A
Excellent Thread, thanks. So many of us agree.
10:34 AM - Oct 08, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}