Christopher Bouzy
A
What are your thoughts on this?
04:16 PM - Nov 06, 2023
Trauma Epidemic
A
In response to Christopher Bouzy.
Followup thought: he's solid.
Full Zelenskyy: ‘We are not ready to give our freedom to this f---ing terrorist Putin’ - YouTube

During an exclusive interview with Meet the Press, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy discusses how the war has changed since Russia invaded Ukraine mor...

01:08 PM - Nov 07, 2023 (Edited)
Thunderschnozzle
A
I hear everyone here and you make a valid point about parts of Ukraine not being under its sovereign control. The problem is that the current situation can last for years. If Zelensky uses the war as the reason to postpone democratic elections than what the hell is he fighting for to begin with?
09:05 AM - Nov 07, 2023
Thomas Liljeruhm
A
Literally no other country would hold an election during war time. I see nothing wrong here.

In addition, no other leader would do a better job than he is.
06:05 AM - Nov 07, 2023
Spud Kitty
A
My 1st reaction, I would want to vote. But here I am sitting comfy in my home, drinking coffee, with my family safe and not hiding/running for their lives.

As I read the comments there were excellent points about integrity of an election, the optics of not having one and more.

Your thoughts?
05:55 AM - Nov 07, 2023
Aussiefemmebot
A
This will be the right time for both countries to hold free & fair elections.
02:25 AM - Nov 07, 2023
Wojciech Kałuża
A
Pragmatic decision. In an ideal world elections would take place as normal, but then there would be no war either.

It bears mentioning that the Ukrainian constitution grants the president less power compared to POTUS. To a US observer, this may seem like a bigger deal than it is. Context matters.
01:40 AM - Nov 07, 2023
Ann Cantelow
A
Russia controls an eastern swath of the country and Crimea at this time. I don't see how that part of the country could be counted.
08:12 PM - Nov 06, 2023
Tom Cee
A
In response to Ann Cantelow.
Fully agree with Ann. How do you hold an election when you don't control 15% of your territory and there are a few million people who fled the country? They need to drive the Russians out and then they can hold an election.
08:40 PM - Nov 06, 2023
jenn ○f many things
A
Hmm. I don't have all the info but it seems a little anti-democratic to me.
07:02 PM - Nov 06, 2023
Jasra - no DMs
A
🧐 Well there could potentially be a lot of foreign interference so perhaps postponing might not be a bad idea. Tricky situation.
05:52 PM - Nov 06, 2023 (Edited)
Susan L
A
Seems a bit vague

Does he mean to delay until a safer time?
Until a time when administration of an election is more tenable?
Or he should just stay until he decides he’s done?

Seems more information is needed.

Seems maybe the article is written in a way intended to stir some shit.
05:40 PM - Nov 06, 2023
Wojciech Kałuża
A
In response to Susan L.
Until the war is over and martial law is lifted.
01:20 AM - Nov 07, 2023
déjà vu
A
tbf they are at war with authoritarian regime who rig their elections and interfere in free elections elsewhere
05:16 PM - Nov 06, 2023 (Edited)
Trauma Epidemic
A
Read the article. 3 thoughts: Under martial law, the default is no elections, so it's reasonable. As worded, not clear from the article if he said it in English, "not the right time" isn't the best framing. The "shouldn't have to deal with elections", not attributed to him, is even worse wording.
05:13 PM - Nov 06, 2023
Autistic-led Advocacy in Canada
A
makes sense. It's a war.
05:08 PM - Nov 06, 2023
Seth Triggs
A
Given what's going on I can understand that, but they probably should hold a by-election or whatever is in the constitution after. But I know someone in Ukraine who is fed up with the corruption in daily life ( a preexisting feature) so who knows?
04:55 PM - Nov 06, 2023
Sabine
A
in addition to previous arguments I´d like to add that an election is a major effort, even under normal circumstances, the more in a state of war. An energy which should not be expended on an election which is necessarily not fair as it won´t include occupied regions and will be subject to doubts
04:42 PM - Nov 06, 2023
Al Gray
A
That is that slippery slope people talk about. I believe they have to have the election. But I can say that really easy since it isn't my ass that would pay the price. Still, a slippery slope...
04:39 PM - Nov 06, 2023
Christopher Brown
A
Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.
04:35 PM - Nov 06, 2023
J Pal
A
No way to have a secure election during a war.
04:34 PM - Nov 06, 2023
Katharyn B
A
The likelihood of Russian interference is so high. And how could the people who live in areas under Russian control vote?
04:30 PM - Nov 06, 2023
Lipsticktraces
B
Zelensky seems like a good man. At a time of war, I don't see this as a problem.
04:27 PM - Nov 06, 2023
Vee a lot of everything Happened
A
Agreed! ...now...IS NOT...the time IMO for an election. Zelenskyy knows more about what is going on than could be explained to someone else amidst a war.
04:25 PM - Nov 06, 2023
MaxxMilly Browne 808
A
I'm thinking he should stay right now??
04:23 PM - Nov 06, 2023
Really Doihaveto
A
Normally, I’d be suspicious, but I believe he may be correct. If Putin managed to get the wrong individual elected, he would call off the invasion and pretend he’s a hero, while he dismantled Ukraine from the inside.
Maggie S
A
Logistically difficult. Easy for Russia to manipulate. But not good optics.
Mike P
A
Even in the US, I think the president has the power to suspend elections under certain situations.
04:22 PM - Nov 06, 2023
Candaca Okun
A
Boo Hiss!
04:19 PM - Nov 06, 2023
Peter G Mitchell 😎
A
They're at war and people think there should be a regularly scheduled election? #SMDH
04:18 PM - Nov 06, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}