dani
A
I would like to remind people that accounts spouting in different languages is a wonderful thing for the platform.

If you don't know what's being said, Google Translate is your friend.

It is extremely disheartening to see large accounts scream "BOT" every time non-English spouts show up.
12:06 PM - Nov 17, 2023
Steve Lang
A
i haven’t really trusted google translate since i entered “plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose,” and it came back with, “what goes around, comes around.” which might be literally correct, but fails to appreciate the idiomatic menacing meaning of the translation.
In response to dani.
11:05 AM - Nov 19, 2023
Liz Adams
A
In response to Steve Lang.
It's not correct at all! That translation doesn't appear to understand either idiom.
11:28 AM - Nov 19, 2023
Steve Lang
A
In response to Liz Adams.
you’re right, but if you just take the literal words, and pretend there’s no idiomatic meaning, you might make a case that “what goes around comes around” could have some kinship with “the more things change, the more they remain the same.” which is the problem, of course, with machine translation.
11:34 AM - Nov 19, 2023
dani
A
In response to Steve Lang.
Well that’s not even literally correct 😂

Generally speaking, it is good enough to get the gist of what someone is saying.

The implication that an account was making was that foreign accounts were nefarious. And they were spouting things like “how do you change the timezone”. Foolish person.
11:08 AM - Nov 19, 2023
Steve Lang
A
In response to dani.
yeah. and i hope we get to better translations (just in general), because understanding each other is super-important.
11:15 AM - Nov 19, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}