Professor Kyle
A
People love to talk about their language pet peeves... Mine is people thinking there's a "correct" way to speak a language that's constantly changing – often, as you say, to enforce entrenched hierarchy & discrimination.
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀 @mcgarrygirl78
No word started out a word. It came from people using it enough to give it context and meaning. Plus I'm always a little sus of "such and such isn't a word" squad because this is what people do with AAVE. Adulting is a word, a silly word. People like it or they wouldn't use it.
12:17 PM - Nov 26, 2023
12:22 PM - Nov 26, 2023 (Edited)
Melinda Nowikowski
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
Having grown up with a typesetter, but one who loved to play with the language, I was taught early to judge context for usage. Conversation and social media are casual - watching casual language evolve is fun. Context is everything.
01:44 PM - Nov 26, 2023
J.W. Sutton, Jr. (he/him)
A
I used to think this way. I was raised this way, with a lingual stick up my ass (a bit).

I have since learned more, and I am much more accepting of language variations. The words people use, their pronunciations, their idioms ... it's all part of their history. We don't choose our history.
01:17 PM - Nov 26, 2023
MrG Still not clever
A
I endured a parent who was a grammar and word warden. I’m now thoroughly enjoying the addition of “yeet” and “adulting” to the English lexicon. Shakespeare invented words all the time. I think language is fluid and often reflects the times. I also love collective nouns. ❤️
12:47 PM - Nov 26, 2023
Evolve Undefined
A
In response to MrG Still not clever.
What does yeet mean ? I am not able to tell even after the google search. But apparently yeet is still against the scrabble rules 🤔
12:51 PM - Nov 26, 2023
Nancy Martin
A
In response to MrG Still not clever.
I think I first saw the word yeet in a tweet about the story of the old lobster fisherperson with a pic of her yeeting an immature lobster off the boat back into the sea. Perfect illustration of an excellent new word
01:12 PM - Nov 26, 2023
Al Gray
A
Dude! Like I totally use literally like totally literally all the time, dude.
My creative writing teacher finally asked me straight out if I was doing it on purpose.
12:46 PM - Nov 26, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Al Gray.
Ha!
12:46 PM - Nov 26, 2023
Julie BlueWave
A
In response to Al Gray.
🙃🤣🤣
12:56 PM - Nov 26, 2023
Dr K
A
I agree. In teaching English Comp, I make the point that differing modes of language serve differing roles. Speaking to granny on Sunday morning differs from speaking to your buds in the club on Saturday night, so academic language for research essays differs from dialogue in personal narratives.
12:38 PM - Nov 26, 2023 (Edited)
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Dr K.
Same!
12:39 PM - Nov 26, 2023
Julie BlueWave
A
In response to Dr K.
Indubitably!
12:56 PM - Nov 26, 2023
Kelpie in Spring
A
As someone who grew up in Cajun country where a lot of the language includes literal translations of words from French, I fully agree that word policing is a problem and often has a tone of trying to control others or telling people they are less because of the words or phrases they use.
12:37 PM - Nov 26, 2023
Mike P
A
https://youtu.be/ddogsf_XS...

You'll love this channel.
Scots vs Gullah... BEEF?! (Top 10 Words) - YouTube

Top 10 Scots-Gullah Words! #weoutchea #gullah #geechee #collaboration #language #linguistics #sociolinguistics #education sunnmcheaux.com weoutcheamerch.com ...

12:36 PM - Nov 26, 2023
MrG Still not clever
A
In response to Mike P.
I follow both of them. I am delighted that they found each other and she’s acknowledging the past. I have learned a lot from following him. And she has gotten a ton of shit for daring to be female on the internet. Thank you for sharing! ❤️
12:43 PM - Nov 26, 2023
Susan Simon
A
In response to Mike P.
I follow both on Insta. They are awesome. I laugh and learn every day.
09:49 AM - Nov 27, 2023
Ellen Leigh
A
As long as people understand what you are saying, what difference does it make? On the other hand, if you can't arrange words in a sentence so they make some sort of linear sense, please learn how.
12:31 PM - Nov 26, 2023
Kelpie in Spring
A
In response to Ellen Leigh.
Okay, I understand what you’re saying but also consider that sometimes the way words are arranged are for the people familiar with that language or part of that language audience/group. And, sometimes that language isn’t always for outsiders. Sometimes language is used as a protective element.
12:41 PM - Nov 26, 2023
Fern Lovebond (they/them)
A
Yes, the tendency for ppl to try and control the language use of others is rooted in prescriptivism sociological linguistics, a tribalistic tendency to associate acceptable behavior and cultural norms with language identity markers.

Basically, "you're doing my language wrong!" irks me, too.
12:30 PM - Nov 26, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}