Read aBannedBook
A
Literary confession: I've never ever listened to an audiobook.
06:49 PM - Dec 17, 2023
BreHam
A
In response to Read aBannedBook.
I almost said me too but remembered I bought the Bible Series in CD form years ago.
10:47 AM - Dec 18, 2023
Melissa Griffith ☕ aka Masker
A
I didn't think I'd like it now I'm hooked I can get stuff done while enjoying a good story!
09:41 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Diana Beach
A
I’m currently listening to Holly by Stephen King and it is very, very good. But the best book I’ve listened to this year was Fairy Tale by Stephen King. Just an amazing book with an even more amazing reader. I listen when I’m walking the dog, doing the dishes and cooking.
09:29 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Diana Beach
A
In response to Diana Beach.
When I started listening to books, I realized I can read a book and listen to one at the same time. And I easily doubled the number of books I was reading which was always my goal. I tend to listen to more adventure, detective or action based books and then read more profound novels. Pulitzers etc.
09:33 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Little Moon
A
In response to Diana Beach.
So good to hear! I just bought Fairytale and had no idea what it was about.
09:57 PM - Dec 17, 2023 (Edited)
Jeannie (she/her)
A
I started listening to audiobooks many years ago. My kids were small, I worked full time, and I had barely any time to read. But I had to drive a lot for work, so I started listening to them. I love it!

If you're looking to try it, I highly recommend Jim Dale's narration of "A Christmas Carol."
09:26 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Michigander
A
I love to be read to. I think it's sad that when we become adults, there are so few opportunities to have someone read to us. A good story teller reading a good book aloud while I do the necessary, mundane things in life like chores or driving or whatever is a treat. Audio books are great for this.
09:18 PM - Dec 17, 2023 (Edited)
Maxwell Mercy
A
Audiobooks and podcasts can be listened to at faster than normal speeds. Your mind adjusts and you can get a lot in an hour
09:00 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Deb
A
I have only listened to audiobooks in the car on long trips. It is much nicer than hunting for radio stations.
08:42 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Danielle DuGré
A
I’m almost exclusively audiobooks now. Comprehension/attention varies, so complicated books get multiple listens. Sapiens 3x, 1491 5x! On second listening of Born in Blackness.
07:49 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Rebecca E
A
I did, once, and that was enough. I have friends that only listen to audiobooks.

I'm hooked on reading ebooks...been doing it since 2020. I do listen to podcasts if I am driving a long distance but only then.
07:44 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Renee Tang
A
I love reading but stopped for a long time when my vision became worse with age. I would buy books but after struggling or squinting, I would give up. A friend told me he enjoyed audiobooks, so I tried it. Audiobooks were a godsend for me. Your local library should have free downloads to try.
07:41 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Hipster Dog
A
I've never been much of a reader. I just can't sit still long enough, but I absolutely love Audible. I spend hours in my car, and I have listened to so many books while driving from client to client.
07:39 PM - Dec 17, 2023 (Edited)
Pamela
A
You’re not alone.
07:36 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Yorick
A
there are some audiobooks that greatly enhance the experience. Star Wars novels, for example, for a while were doing full-cast reads with music and sound effects.
The True Meaning of Smekday, by Adam Rex, is a tour-de-force of characters by one actress. In fact I'm due to listen to that again.
07:34 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Hipster Dog
A
In response to Yorick.
I love the full cast Audible originals. With the sound effects and music, it's like a movie playing in my head!
07:54 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Lipsticktraces
B
I don't usually, but once I was driving around the backroads of Louisiana/New Orleans and the local station for blind people aired the complete autobiography of Paula Dean (read by the author). And I could not stop listening. It was just fascinating and appropriate for my food discovery journey.
07:21 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Liz
A
And, I won’t go back to book-in-hand..due to aging eyes. I frequently will pinch out on a printed item, trying 2increase the font 😂😂
Also, the finger pressing on a word for a definition.. I’ve done that too - on a tangible book 😂😂
I like picking the font, size and having a built in dictionary
07:15 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Michael J Sheridan
A
The closest I've come was when I lived in the UK, and BBC Radio 4 has a "Book at Bedtime" program where they read (probably extremely pared down versions of) books in the evening, in 25 minute segments over a week or two.

Wasn't a faithful listener, but sometimes they caught me.
07:14 PM - Dec 17, 2023 (Edited)
Professor Kyle
A
I don't do it much, but I love them. Used to listen to books on lunch break with my friend/work partner back in the day when we were roofing condos. Always loved my mom reading to me as a kid & it's kinda the same thing.
07:14 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Tracie Putnam
A
Me either. Why ruin my joy of reading for pleasure.,
07:09 PM - Dec 17, 2023
The Harlander ✅
A
Same
07:09 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Blanche Davidian
A
Me either. Nothing like the feel and smell of a REAL book
07:07 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Liz
A
In response to Blanche Davidian.
If you have asthma.. old books can be problematic.. Then there’s the chain smoking patron whose returned books smell like cigarettes….scream !
07:19 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Salma Typhii
A
I didn't until long road trips. Then my mom checked Tolkien the ring series, BBC version on cassette WITH the songs, when she helped me drive NY to OAK. Game changer!
07:07 PM - Dec 17, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
Me either. I read too fast to tolerate that.
07:04 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Liz
A
In response to DrMHasOpinions.
You can adjust the speed. The skilled narrator is the key to enjoying a great book in that format.
07:18 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Sal E
A
In response to DrMHasOpinions.
I listen at a minimum of 2.0x speed. Sometimes 3.0x. I can't handle normal speed at all, but love being able to read while I'm driving to work or doing mindless house tasks.

I make it through roughly equal parts audio/print/ebook in a given year. I'm at 198 total combined right now for 2023.
09:37 AM - Dec 18, 2023
Innerspacegirl
A
only done it when a book in a series I'm reading is only available from the library that way. that occasionally happens.
06:59 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Myra Faye Turner
A
I was reluctant at first but now I'm onboard. I try to listen to a sample first because the narrator is important to me. Some folks are "blah" readers.
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Myra Faye Turner.
Anyone with a British accent would work.
Lightstar (I Follow Back)
A
I love them when I am driving because for some reason police and the state take a dim view of my reading while driving.
06:58 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Lightstar (I Follow Back).
I have seen people on the interstate with a book on the steering wheel reading. Seems, well, like not a good thing to do.
07:01 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Sal E
A
In response to Lightstar (I Follow Back).
I find I have less annoyance at traffic if I'm listening to a good book as well. I don't feel like I'm wasting my time if we're in a slow as molasses situation.
09:39 AM - Dec 18, 2023
Bobby Amos
A
I listened to The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho years ago. Really good as it was narrated by Jeremy Irons. I had a day of hours of spare time. But mostly the format seems popular with folks who listen during a long automobile commute.
06:54 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Bobby Amos.
Love Jeremy Irons.
06:57 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Robin
A
I haven't either. I have listened to chapter a day on Wisconsin Public Radio so that might count.
06:53 PM - Dec 17, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Robin.
That sounds like a cool radio show.
06:57 PM - Dec 17, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}