Susan A. Kitchens
A
I saw a quilt exhibit that commemorated being interned in the camps for American citizens of Japanese ancestry during WW2. Whole bunch of quilts. Here is one of them.
Alberto Pastor @albertopastor
"We are still developing the right vocabulary for recognizing the damage of Japanese American wartime incarceration. Most of these sites have faded into the landscape without visible historical markers; those that remain are at risk of closing off access."
🪖⛩️📖 #JapaneseAmericans #History #WWII
04:21 PM - Jan 01, 2024
04:31 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Midnight Ryder
A
In response to Susan A. Kitchens.
The image in this quilt is of Hart Mountain, in Powell, WY, site of one of the relocation camps in the middle of frozen winter nowhere. They have a great museum there now that tells the story of the families incarcerated there.
06:41 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Susan A. Kitchens
A
In response to Midnight Ryder.
Yes, thank you for that. I also took photos of ID/artist statement tags. Here is the one for this quilt.

“‘Healing Heart’
Alice Flyr, Cody, Wyoming
Heart Mountain is a landmark that has witness both geologic and human events. May its name remind us that only love endures”
06:53 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Anastasia Joy
A
In response to Susan A. Kitchens.
Many settled in Chicago. One of my fellow Chicago Children's Choir members' mom had been interned but I didn't know until I read her obituary a few years ago. That wouldn't have been on our radar as kids, just as I didn't know a high school classmate's parents had been in Auschwitz.
05:55 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Anastasia Joy
A
In response to Anastasia Joy.
(I meant the mom's obituary. Chrissie is still very much alive.)
05:59 PM - Jan 01, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}