Susan A. Kitchens
A
I saw a quilt exhibit that commemorated being interned in the camps for American citizens of Japanese ancestry during WW2. Whole bunch of quilts. Here is one of them.
Alberto Pastor @albertopastor
"We are still developing the right vocabulary for recognizing the damage of Japanese American wartime incarceration. Most of these sites have faded into the landscape without visible historical markers; those that remain are at risk of closing off access."
🪖⛩️📖 #JapaneseAmericans #History #WWII
04:21 PM - Jan 01, 2024
04:31 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Midnight Ryder
A
In response to Susan A. Kitchens.
The image in this quilt is of Hart Mountain, in Powell, WY, site of one of the relocation camps in the middle of frozen winter nowhere. They have a great museum there now that tells the story of the families incarcerated there.
06:41 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Susan A. Kitchens
A
Yes, thank you for that. I also took photos of ID/artist statement tags. Here is the one for this quilt.

“‘Healing Heart’
Alice Flyr, Cody, Wyoming
Heart Mountain is a landmark that has witness both geologic and human events. May its name remind us that only love endures”
In response to Midnight Ryder.
06:53 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Midnight Ryder
A
In response to Susan A. Kitchens.
I made a visit there over the Christmas holiday a year ago. Some pics here…a sobering place and sad chapter in American history (this coming from the son of an American captive of the Japanese during WWII).
07:02 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Susan A. Kitchens
A
In response to Midnight Ryder.
oh wow. Thanks for these!

I have not seen the site itself. In Aug 2017, I was on a trip to Montana (the big total eclipse) and we stopped at the Crazy Mountain Museum in Big Timber, Montana, and one room had an exhibit of quilts commemorating detention at Heart Mountain Relocation Center.
07:10 PM - Jan 01, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}