Susan A. Kitchens
A
I saw a quilt exhibit that commemorated being interned in the camps for American citizens of Japanese ancestry during WW2. Whole bunch of quilts. Here is one of them.
Alberto Pastor @albertopastor
"We are still developing the right vocabulary for recognizing the damage of Japanese American wartime incarceration. Most of these sites have faded into the landscape without visible historical markers; those that remain are at risk of closing off access."
🪖⛩️📖 #JapaneseAmericans #History #WWII
04:21 PM - Jan 01, 2024
04:31 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Midnight Ryder
A
The image in this quilt is of Hart Mountain, in Powell, WY, site of one of the relocation camps in the middle of frozen winter nowhere. They have a great museum there now that tells the story of the families incarcerated there.
In response to Susan A. Kitchens.
06:41 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Susan A. Kitchens
A
In response to Midnight Ryder.
Yes, thank you for that. I also took photos of ID/artist statement tags. Here is the one for this quilt.

“‘Healing Heart’
Alice Flyr, Cody, Wyoming
Heart Mountain is a landmark that has witness both geologic and human events. May its name remind us that only love endures”
06:53 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Midnight Ryder
A
In response to Susan A. Kitchens.
I made a visit there over the Christmas holiday a year ago. Some pics here…a sobering place and sad chapter in American history (this coming from the son of an American captive of the Japanese during WWII).
07:02 PM - Jan 01, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}