Read aBannedBook
A
Do you have a favorite cookbook?

TBH, I'm not a cookbook user, but I still love them. I worked at an academic library that had an incredible cookbook collection. One director did not understand their value for research and wanted to get rid of them. She was not exactly beloved across the campus.
07:23 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Pamela
A
In response to Read aBannedBook.
My “go to” cookbooks. Both are well loved. (For the photo I just taped the cover back on the Survival cookbook 😄)
I inherited the Betty Crocker cookbook from my mom. She also bought me the Survival cookbook when I graduated from undergrad.
09:19 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Karen Dykstra
A
I have the Better Homes and Garden New Edition copyrighted 1981.
09:15 PM - Jan 04, 2024
MJB
A
I like the ones that church and community groups put together for fundraisers. The members contribute their favorite recipes. You can find some authentic ethnic recipes in these books, depending on what group puts it out. I've found a good selection of these books in my local used bookstore.
08:57 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Linda Eisenstein
A
In response to MJB.
We have not one but 2 copies of the Slovak Ladies Association cookbook put out by the Slovak Catholic League that ran my grandma's nursing home. There are recipes close to hers that I've never seen anywhere else.
09:31 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Craig Tyler
A
We have some favorites, the ones our parents used. They’re classics. In alphabetical order: Betty Crocker New Cookbook, Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook, The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, and The Joy of Cooking. You can find them in used bookstores and estate sales. Ours are from the 1990s.
08:53 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Linda Eisenstein
A
In response to Craig Tyler.
My mom had all 4 of these.
08:56 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Craig Tyler
A
In response to Craig Tyler.
Oh, and we were both born & raised meat & potatoes Midwesterners.
09:00 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Diana
A
I was given this one as a wedding present almost twenty years ago now. I need to use it more, but I also took all my mom's recipe index cards and compiled them in a binder and need to break those out more often too.

Mostly I look recipes up online and then improvise from there.
08:39 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Sarah Gioia
A
Great one that's ostensibly for kids but I enjoyed just as much-The United Tastes of America. A representative recipe from states and territories as well as modern food history and facts. Enjoyable read and good recipes!
(The only one we'll never try is Utah's.)
08:15 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Sue Lee
A
We have a a bookshelf of cookbooks. My husband has collected them over the years. Interesting stories inside many of them.

I agree, cookbooks should be in an academic library. Lots of them are like snapshots of life in the time period they were published.😊📚
08:07 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
I don't have any cookbooks but I want to own a few. I.love hearty American cooking like meatloaf and soups. I also love one pot meals and I know new social media cooks are creating those. Cookbooks can get pricy though.
07:57 PM - Jan 04, 2024
MJB
A
In response to Acey Deecey 🚀🚀.
I've found some interesting cookbooks at used book stores.
08:54 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Linda Eisenstein
A
In response to Acey Deecey 🚀🚀.
As accomplished as my brother is at cooking, he looks at recipes - a lot of them. Lately he goes online, compares 3-5 recipes for the same dish, bookmarks the one that is closest to what he plans to do, shops, then adjusts as he goes. He uses NY Times recipes a lot.
08:59 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Deborah Conway
A
We have a collection, love the photos in cookbooks. We don’t use them now, in the early days when we were first married and learning to cook. My husband uses YouTube videos for cooking ☺️
07:25 PM - Jan 04, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}