Jerrybme
A
thread 1/8
Yelp, today is the day I’m having my right knee replaced. Going to try an experiment and post my journey through this process.

One more shower with hebiclens to prevent infection and off to the hospital.

Got my walker and cane ready. Wish me luck!
08:16 AM - Jan 18, 2024
Jerrybme
A
thread 2/8
Pre-op prep, surgeon marked up the correct knee to make sure they don’t replace the wrong knee. Shit is getting real now
08:25 PM - Jan 18, 2024
Jerrybme
A
thread 3/8
Post-op, feeling pretty good. Got up and walked around the unit a bit. They used two nerve blocks in the leg prior to surgery plus a spinal. Working well so far. Leg nerve blocks should wear off tomorrow sometime. Taking Tylenol and dillaudid so proactively keep the pain minimized.
08:32 PM - Jan 18, 2024
Jerrybme
A
thread 4/8
A bit of background on why the knee is being replaced. 18 years ago I was coaching 10 year old kids on a soccer team and had the bright idea of scrimmaging with them. Battled for the ball and was on the receiving end of a clean slide tackle. Knee bent in ways it wasn’t designed to do and tore my ACL
08:36 PM - Jan 18, 2024 (Edited)
Jerrybme
A
thread 5/8
When the ACL was repaired they had to remove 80% of the meniscus. Surgeon at the time said I’d be back in 10 years for a knee replacement. Made it 18 years. Been very lucky, knee hasn’t stopped me much except I had to stop running. So I’ve been doing lots of walking. Not bad for a 68 y.o. Dude
08:44 PM - Jan 18, 2024 (Edited)
Jerrybme
A
thread 6/8
My walking partner, Denali an Alaskan Malamute. If he doesn’t go for walks there are consequences. My poor wife and kids are going to have to take over for a while now. At least the Arctic blast is mostly over. Wife would not have been happy walking him like I did in the -30 wind chill.
08:50 PM - Jan 18, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}