Liz N Is Tired of the Nonsense
A
White people, y’all are going to have to come to terms with the fact that many of you did not choose to be racist but were raised to be. Even by your supposedly open-minded parents.

It ain’t all about Klan hoods and the n word.
01:06 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Kennie Goff
A
In response to Liz N Is Tired of the Nonsense.
Yes and I have so much to learn. George Floyd's 9-minute murder ripped a band-aid off. More to go.
05:43 PM - Jan 31, 2024
Susan L
A
Our white families, our white institutions, schools, churches, neighborhoods… All of it is steeped in white supremacy. We grew up literally soaking in it. ALL OF US.
For some of us, the racism was the obvious, in your face, kind. For others, it was more subtle. But it has ALWAYS BEEN HERE with us.
06:08 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Tenacious “T” WillResist
A
Micro aggressions have cut some of my family members the deepest, people look in shock at those yelling the n word, most people don’t pick up on the most damaging, hurtful and oppressive micro aggressions, including those hurt the most by them
05:26 PM - Jan 29, 2024 (Edited)
Connell McGrath
A
True. No clear racism in my house growing up. But I was terrified of accidentally missing my station and having to get off the subway at 125th Street. Why? Turns out there were good people up there! Wish my mom demonstrated that. ESP by bringing me to Summer of Soul!
05:19 PM - Jan 29, 2024
WestCoaster
A
You are right. I thought of myself, smugly, as not being at all racist--until I took one of those unconscious bias tests. Then I found that I have a ways to go. Looking back at my parents' views, and then now to my children's, we are going in the right direction, but we are not there yet.
05:16 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Liz N Is Tired of the Nonsense
A
In response to WestCoaster.
Progress happens slowly, but it does happen
05:36 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Miggs Bylaws
A
I think the biggest aspect of this for me is in knowing this; whatever racist belief or practice one engages w/ or allows, it doesn't just happen in a vacuum. I do not exist in solitude when conducting myself w/ or ignoring those harmful actions. Those actions reinforce societal practices/pressures.
05:06 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Jeff Pilchard
A
Exactly. Pretending, as so many White people do, that you're not racist so long as you don't use the n word, is the world's biggest cop-out. We were, all of us, raised to be racist, because that's what the West has been for the last 500 years or so.
04:04 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Jeff Pilchard
A
In response to Jeff Pilchard.
And that history is not overcome simply by refusing to use one word. One has to excavate a lot deeper than that.
04:05 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Liz
A
In response to Jeff Pilchard.
It’s true. There’s really no denying it.
Racism by we white peoples has to be checked constantly.
04:43 PM - Jan 29, 2024
💜 Callie 💜
A
👏🏽 THIS is the brutally honest discussion that’s needed for this moment. We need it. Marginalized communities are out here in these streets fighting for our lives because we can’t seem to crack through this bubble of “covert” racism. Our existence is not a topic for debate, “humor”, or dismissal.
03:53 PM - Jan 29, 2024 (Edited)
Diana Beach
A
In response to 💜 Callie 💜.
Exactly! There is work to be done on our (white people) part. Acknowledgement is an important piece, acceptance of our part in this situation. Compassion and understanding of BBIMP. And then fighting for change amongst our own. White silence is violence - speak out when you see it!
04:07 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Kirk Taylor
A
Can confirm!
03:27 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Ellen Leigh
A
Fact. I KNOW I was. Deeply racist for generations. It's a huge reason why I spend a lot of time trying to overcome all of my deeply ingrained feelings about different minority groups. I've mad a lot of progress, a LOT, but I also know I must continue to work on it.
02:35 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Zaya Rose ⛧
A
And they are not absolved of this by having Black children, relatives, or a spouse

There are a lot of white people who are only cool with the Black and Brown people they are related to
02:12 PM - Jan 29, 2024
Thee NW Mankiller Magpie
A
In response to Zaya Rose ⛧.
And so much of that is fueled by what we wp were taught. It's why we wp need to face our fears and beliefs, recognize how they were sown, and work to uproot them.
02:47 PM - Jan 29, 2024
💜 Callie 💜
A
In response to Zaya Rose ⛧.
Not one lie detected. I have a multi-racial family. Navigating the hoops & levels to pierce this bubble is extremely exhausting. 👇🏽

They don’t get BLM, but see nothing wrong with “blue lives” op. 🙄

Racism doesn’t exist, unless it’s “reverse-racism”. 🤔

NEVER view themselves as immigrants.
04:15 PM - Jan 29, 2024
9Gen
A
Oh, and it damned sure ain't exclusive to the *South*.
01:58 PM - Jan 29, 2024
k hola (she/her)
A
In response to 9Gen.
or the USA
03:23 PM - Jan 29, 2024
9Gen
A
It's ridiculous how many fight this mantle. It's in our DNA. It's in our institutions. It's in every damned segment of society.
01:57 PM - Jan 29, 2024
John Luttermoser
A
In response to 9Gen.
It's lamentable that so many fight it, but part of systemic white supremacy is that it's drilled into us (white people, starting when we're white children) that this is normal. It's something we should overcome, but it takes some overcoming. I'm 65 and I'm certain I have a lot to learn about it.
02:07 PM - Jan 29, 2024 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}