Spoutible Banned Book Club
A
#SpoutibleBannedBookClub #FireTalkingPoint

Explain what you think Baldwin means:

“[White people] are, in effect, still trapped in a history which they do not understand; and until they understand it, they cannot be released from it.” (p. 8)

#SBBC #FireNextTime
11:34 PM - Feb 16, 2024
Diana Beach
A
In response to Spoutible Banned Book Club.
White people continue to be trapped in a history they don’t understand because they choose not to acknowledge it, give it any sort of weight or importance. Instead they cling to the thought that “slavery was a long time ago” so racism isn’t a problem anymore. That’s much easier to deal with.
05:31 PM - Feb 17, 2024
Lil
A
White people carry an inaccurate, incomplete, and frankly deluded history around with us like blinders, a cozy quilt, and/or a shield.

White people need to confront the past -- not just as history, but because it *is* the present -- with eyes wide open, vulnerable, and without defense.
04:11 PM - Feb 17, 2024
Evolve Undefined
A
#SBBC #thefirenexttime #spoutiblebannedbannedbookclub It boggles my mind how relevant this is in current US cultural conflict & destructive politics of the moment. Racist white people often cannot see that racism has formed the superior identity they cling to & that they are terrified of giving up.
03:31 PM - Feb 17, 2024
Evolve Undefined
A
1/2 I think Baldwin recognized that white supremacy and privilege enables white people to live in a world where they don’t have to understand their own pain or the cage of fear that hatred and “othering” keeps them in. He saw the self hatred at the root of their need to see themselves as superior.
02:56 PM - Feb 17, 2024 (Edited)
Love Miracles
B
In response to Evolve Undefined.
So powerful.
03:15 PM - Feb 17, 2024
Evolve Undefined
A
In response to Evolve Undefined.
1/2He speaks to this here “what white people need to ask themselves…..” this is a trailer and I wish they hadn’t cut off the sentence that follows. “If white ppl created the [n word] then you [whites] need to ask yourselves why…. The clip cuts before: “and the future of this country depends on it”
03:17 PM - Feb 17, 2024 (Edited)
Isa-Lee Wolf
A
This made me so sad, because that line is every single ounce as true today as it was 60 years ago when he wrote it.

It's embodied in the derision in which they say "woke," in the book bans and subject bans. It's this constant running away from the truth and enormity of sin. #FireNextTime #SBBC
01:01 PM - Feb 17, 2024
Angelique Yaich
A
We've had 250 years of White Christianism, it is hard to see when we do things from habit and not from a place of our hearts...changing habits is hard but until we recognize the bias that we've learned we can never undo it. From how we refer to people of color, to what laws we make. #FireNextTime
11:45 AM - Feb 17, 2024
Katie E
A
No easy answer, this. IMO it goes back way before the US was even contemplated, back to ancient times. This 'i'm better than you' its just all bullshit.
09:32 AM - Feb 17, 2024
Dréa25
A
I believe hero worship is disguised as historical fact. There exists the myth that this nation (USA) sat in complete darkness until white Europeans "discovered" and brought it into the light. Conveniently forgotten is Indigenous decimation & forced labor of kidnapped Africans. #SBBC #FireNextTime
09:16 AM - Feb 17, 2024
Timara (she/her)
A
Is this question for white people only?

Checking before I respond.
11:46 PM - Feb 16, 2024
Spoutible Banned Book Club
A
In response to Timara (she/her).
Questions are for everybody.
11:47 PM - Feb 16, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}