Scott Johnson
A
I honestly had no idea that this word is offensive to some women.
06:49 AM - Mar 12, 2023
elder leeeee
A
In response to Scott Johnson.
How silly can one be? This woman uses it.
01:21 PM - Mar 12, 2023
Wonder Gal
A
Ya know, is this more media hype? Maybe ignore it, and it will go away?
01:12 PM - Mar 12, 2023
Scott Johnson
A
In response to Wonder Gal.
Doesn't seem like media hype, since several women in this actual thread have commented that they hate it.
03:36 PM - Mar 12, 2023
Petol Weekes
A
Wow, this is news to me. I am a woman and did not know this.
12:36 PM - Mar 12, 2023
Sparkle Kitteh
A
I wouldn't say offensive, but it makes me feel like a 19th century dinosaur being addressed by someone below my social station. And that makes me very uncomfortable. It's too formal.
12:08 PM - Mar 12, 2023
GRANDma isn't Right
A
I don't mind it, but it does tend to make me feel old.
11:55 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Linda the scandi
A
I rather listen to "ma'am" than "hey you"
11:48 AM - Mar 12, 2023
TheForty(3)YearOldXennial (he/him)
A
It's all in tone. Same with "bless your heart."
11:31 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
Same here. As the article mentioned, context matters.
Someone can say something to you and depending on context, it may be a compliment or an insult. I think the recipient can decide how it's used and if she doesn't like it, she can pivot to "you can call me ...".
10:01 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Bren
A
Growing up it was clean your plate some are starving. Maybe now it should be don't complain about being a ma'am women and youth in Iran are murdered for being female
09:35 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Scott Johnson
A
What I find interesting is that some people who would be very careful to not deliberately misgender someone, will also say "you don't like me calling you "ma'am"? tough shit, that's how I was raised".
08:53 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Bren
A
In the military Sir and Maam are used as a sign of respect. In everyday day life must we begin to grunt at each other in some sort of Morse code? For me it's as said in this article the context and delivery is what may be rude or insulting
08:51 AM - Mar 12, 2023
The Mighty OCD
A
This is nuts. I say ma'am to all women. Whether they are 5 or 95. That's the way my mamma taught me and if you're offended, tough shit. I'm gonna hold the door for you too. Don't call the cops.
08:44 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Andrea Loken
A
In response to The Mighty OCD.
Have you considered that for some, this feels like you’d rather erase them than acknowledge who they really are? If someone asks me not to call them miss or ma’am, I’m fine with it because it’s important to actually respect how people wish to be treated. It’s the Golden Rule, worth living by.
09:30 AM - Mar 12, 2023
TheForty(3)YearOldXennial (he/him)
A
In response to The Mighty OCD.
It's all in tone. At least you mean well.

Cool avatar, btw. Jason Lives is my favorite.
11:32 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Silke Spoutista
A
Heh, I am old Southern AND Irish AF.
So, you gonna hear ma’am out of my mouth liberally.
I use hon and sweetie also with abandon. 😒😁
Cuz I’m gansta like that.. 🤭🤣
08:41 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Grandma Sharon
A
There are so many things about which a person can find offensive; this too? I see it as a sign of respect and an honor to be old enough to be addressed in this manner (I felt this way at 30, as well).
I also understand that someone's perception is their reality.
08:37 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Babe Harris
A
If you call me, you may call me, Mademoiselle. Or Miss. But never “Ma’am”
07:55 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Amy McCloskey
A
There are SOO many possible things to take offense at these days. So why take offense when it's pretty obvious no offense is meant? Live life with a thick skin. And if it's *obvious* someone wishes to offend you, don't give them the satisfaction. Life is too short to get so het up about nothing.
07:39 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Grandma Sharon
A
In response to Amy McCloskey.
Hear, hear!
08:39 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Sasy Scarborough
A
So it's an age thing? In Oz we call all female teachers Miss whether they are 20 or 80 and everything in between. 'Excuse me Miss, may I" etc, Even if married, we are a lazy country :P so we rather do Miss than Mrs Theirwholename. We are not really a Ma'am country, but this is nonsense! 1/
07:37 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Sasy Scarborough
A
In response to Sasy Scarborough.
2/ If someone has called me Madam in a store, I have answered with "If I was a Madam, someone else would be doing my shopping' to imply that I would have a lot more money through naughty means, but that is me being cheeky. All males I call Sir, if I need to get past them in the grocery aisle....
07:39 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Susan Howey
A
I'd *much* rather be called Ma'am than to have some young girl call me "Hon" which does not sit well with me.
07:27 AM - Mar 12, 2023 (Edited)
Scott Johnson
A
In response to Susan Howey.
But that's the thing - what's fine for one person, many others are not fine with.
07:30 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Mel Broussard
A
I was raised in the south and if we did not address older women as ma'am our parents would warm our britches but good. It was just good manners. I am 62 now but still sometimes address other women my age as ma'am when making a joke.... usually about how old we are now. 😏
07:24 AM - Mar 12, 2023
JustDee
A
In response to Mel Broussard.
Same here. I joke that I learned ma'am and sir before I learned mama and daddy!
07:46 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Missy The MAGA Slayer
B
I HATE being called ma'am. There's this one lady who says ma'am after every question I ask her. She's a regular.
Did you find everything OK? Yes, Ma'am
Cash or card? Cash, ma'am
Thank you and have a great day. Thank you ma'am, you too.
It takes everything in me to not blow up.🤬
07:13 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Rachel Schoene
A
In response to Missy The MAGA Slayer.
What is it about the word that you do not like? Is it because it's been used repetitively?
08:47 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Dwoodmom-Boomer for Biden
A
Boomer from the Deep South here. What nonsense is this? From the time we could speak we were taught sir and ma’am were showing respect.
07:12 AM - Mar 12, 2023
DANIEL Mac
A
"Blogger Kristen Hansen Brakeman suggests “we bring back the antiquated Victorian term, ‘M’Lady… M’Lady is sort of sweet and elegant sounding too, isn’t it?”"

No.

I was raised to use ma'am until the woman I'm speaking to gives me permission to use their name.
07:10 AM - Mar 12, 2023
uOMi
A
As a young Swiss woman buying flowers on the street in Amsterdam half a century ago, the term used by the vendor seemed offensive, even though I understood it was meant to show respect. I laughed it off then and still now thinking about it.
07:10 AM - Mar 12, 2023
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
Like... my mother and grandmother raised me to call all women 'ma'am' if I do not know them. What in fresh hell?
06:56 AM - Mar 12, 2023 (Edited)
Scott Johnson
A
In response to ⚛️Shawn Athan.
Language just evolve over time, and words take on different meanings and implications. I'm just trying to keep up! :)
06:58 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Rachel Schoene
A
In response to ⚛️Shawn Athan.
I too was raised to call women ma'am if I do not know them. And I would say Miss if the person looks younger than a certain age. It's a means to get someone attention if you do not know their name or marriage status. My good friends call one another Miss in affection even though I'm married.
08:58 AM - Mar 12, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}