Christopher Bouzy
A
I sincerely don't understand. I was raised to call women ma'am because it is respectful.
Scott Johnson @ScottJohnson
I honestly had no idea that this word is offensive to some women.
06:49 AM - Mar 12, 2023
07:03 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Laura Marlin
A
In response to Christopher Bouzy.
I was raised that way too.
10:44 PM - Mar 24, 2023
Minnie the Pooh
A
I don’t know why, but every time a guy says “Yes, ma’am” to me, it makes me giggle.
05:38 PM - Mar 12, 2023
Tracey Bennett
A
Makes middle aged women feel old, but is nonetheless respectful
05:07 PM - Mar 12, 2023
ann heffner
A
I've heard some women say it's a term of respect if you are younger than they are (by a noticeable amount), but an insult if you are the same age or older . Doesn't make sense to me. I was taught to use it always and still do until someone can make me understand how to do it right
03:04 PM - Mar 12, 2023
Michael Latz
A
Same. I'm 52 years old and I still call my parent's friends Mr. and Ms. and ma'am. The looks I would get from my mother for failing to do so? Oy!
01:13 PM - Mar 12, 2023
David Belisle
A
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
01:10 PM - Mar 12, 2023
Pamela B'well
A
I didn’t hear “Ma’am” growing up.
When I moved to the West Coast, I felt offended by it at first. It seemed like something you’d call an old person. so I thought I was being disrespected.

Now that I AM an old person, I realize the condescension is when I’m called “Dear.”

Call me “Ma’am!”
12:40 PM - Mar 12, 2023 (Edited)
Marla Boyd Atkinson
A
This is akin to something called a regionalism in language. The idea that language always exists in a context and meaning and register (tone, level of formality, respect) can be interpreted differently and understood differently depending on the place and context that language is used.
12:32 PM - Mar 12, 2023
Lola
A
It's situational.
11:50 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Lisa Lancaster
A
I don’t find it offensive. It’s still considered respectful in the south. I think it makes some women feel old, so they don’t like it
11:23 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Christine Furgason
A
It doesn't offend me, just makes me feel old.
11:03 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Stephanie Rogers
A
It must be a regional thing. I was required to say it in the south. I was also not allowed to address any adults by their first name.
10:50 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Myrian M
A
I was raised that way too, I definitely don't understand that one. Could it be that some women prefer to be called the "B" word.
10:46 AM - Mar 12, 2023
PM Last
A
I was raised miss for a young lady/teenage/young adult and ma'am for a mature woman, a sign of respect regardless of age although it was reserved for what was perceived to be over 21. I've heard from women being called miss is an insult if they are no longer a teenager. shrugs.
09:49 AM - Mar 12, 2023
CzechChik60
A
I do not find it offensive.
08:45 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Elizabeth Whitehead
A
I think it's a regional/situational thing, Christopher. In many places/circumstances, the way "Ma'am" is used is respectful and pleasant (like a young boy to a teacher or friend's parent), in others it is used to express annnoyance and distance. LIfe is complicated.
08:45 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Laurie Boris
A
I hear that, and I've had this discussion many times with men. For some women (myself included), "ma'am" makes them feel old.
08:29 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Greg Mortimer
B
70 here and it was always a respectful term. Times are a-changin
08:28 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Cyndi Brown
A
I usually let it slide, although ma'am is short for Madam. Or mammaries.
08:28 AM - Mar 12, 2023
RedSqurrl
A
It depends on the woman, some think the term ages them in fact. I think I remember Valerie Bertinelli telling a man in a sitcom scene "Please don't call us ma'am, don't you know it's miss until we die?"😅
08:23 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Eils D.G
A
There is a word missing in that article and that is "some". Some people find it offensive. From reading the article it would appear that all women did so. Like everything in life "some do, some don't".
08:02 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Pam Sourelis
A
It's a regional and cultural thing.
07:54 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Christopher Barry
A
As a Non commissioned Officer, when called sir, I would respond jokingly.
"Don't call me sir I work for a living".
07:34 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Lizzy BOLDLY
A
If ma'am is the respectful term for those who use she/her and sir for those who use he/him, what is the term in the same situations for those who use they or ze?

Genuine question.
07:28 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Lizzy BOLDLY
A
Why 2 words for women? Came from marital status but age gets used as proxy.

Having experienced both, better young and "ma'am" than older and "miss."
07:24 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Jonathan Crumiller
A
Same. The article left me a bit bewildered and not sure what to say.
07:16 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Scott Johnson
A
I think "respect" might now carry with it the connotation of "respect your elders" which implies that the person you're speaking to is older. Women don't want to feel like they are older (none of us do I guess). Just the evolution of language.
07:13 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Maggie B. Black
A
I think some women feel that the person is implying that they are old when they refer to them as ma’am.
07:11 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Jaci Mcdonald
A
I think with all of these types of things, context matters. I got called "love" the other day by I guy where I work. As I know him well enough and know that it is totally inoffensive, I thought nothing of it. But if someone asked me in a poll if I thought "love" was appropriate I'd say "no".
07:10 AM - Mar 12, 2023
Sandy McPherson
A
I was raised to say ma’am and sir. I still do. I, too, was taught it was a sign of respect.
07:10 AM - Mar 12, 2023 (Edited)
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}