Allison Larkin
A
If you have any questions about writing or publishing, feel free to ask in this thread. I'll check back periodically to answer. #amwriting #AuthorsOfSpoutible
01:45 PM - Mar 28, 2023
Jo she/her Thompson
A
In response to Allison Larkin.
Thank you so much for this thread! I've downloaded Creative Quest and am really excited to listen. As a first time writer looking to get published, should I look for an agent first or try to submit my work myself? I've seen you talk about agents a lot, but had never considered that.
10:31 AM - Jan 18, 2024
J.D. Cunegan
A
I'm just trying to figure out how to build an audience when everything I post, regardless of platform, seems to be shot into the void, ignored at best, and every newsletter I send sheds subscribers with no one to replace them.
10:13 AM - Aug 13, 2023
Koronin
A
Currently I'm just writing fan fiction to get better at writing so I can attempt to write my own original stories in the future. I will be reading this thread. TY.
04:05 PM - Mar 29, 2023
Allison Larkin
A
In response to Koronin.
That’s wonderful! That’s a great way to learn! Have you read Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell? It’s such a lovely tribute to fanfic
01:59 PM - Mar 30, 2023
DJ Taktix
A
I thought you'd never ask!

My writing career peaked when I ran election coverage for my college paper in 2004. I've since had to go into other fields to not starve.

How can I jump back in with no recent clips? Start a blog? I fear the pause has so shattered my confidence that I can't just start.
09:21 AM - Mar 29, 2023 (Edited)
Allison Larkin
A
In response to DJ Taktix.
I’ve definitely had times when I stopped writing and had to get started again. It was always harder when I allowed myself to cling to the idea that I should never have stopped. So what? You took a break. Life happened. Applaud yourself for getting back to it. It’s wonderful! I’m rooting for you!
10:36 AM - Mar 29, 2023
Allison Larkin
A
In response to DJ Taktix.
Also, what an excellent job you’ve done surviving in this world and getting yourself to the point where you can think about writing again! That’s amazing!
10:37 AM - Mar 29, 2023
Trent Lythgoe
A
Best writing guide?
08:31 PM - Mar 28, 2023
Allison Larkin
A
In response to Trent Lythgoe.
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott! And, not as specifically a writing book, but Creative Quest by Questlove is incredible (the audiobook is a must-listen)
09:20 PM - Mar 28, 2023
OneOfTheSmiths
A
I've been asked to write down my autobiography by family members. I've started but it brings up so many feelings. Some have changed, some not. Damn hard to do this.
06:12 PM - Mar 28, 2023
Allison Larkin
A
In response to OneOfTheSmiths.
Writing can so often bring up tons of emotions! Sometimes it's expected and sometimes it's really surprising. Don't feel like you have to tackle it all at once. Do what you can when you can. Even if it's just making notes for another time when you feel like you're up for the emotions.
06:23 PM - Mar 28, 2023
Renegade Disciple
A
The most basic of questions: do I write the book first, then try to find publishing? If not, how fleshed out should an idea be before shipping it around? Especially for a first book
04:39 PM - Mar 28, 2023
Allison Larkin
A
In response to Renegade Disciple.
Good question! If you're talking about fiction, as a first time author, definitely write the book first. You want to have it as polished as possible before looking for an agent. Non-fiction is sometimes sold on proposal, but that depends on your platform/topic.
05:40 PM - Mar 28, 2023
tiyerobinson
A
I’m working on my first book and I’m torn between self publishing and finding a publisher. I’d like to find a publisher but I feel like I don’t really stand a chance since I’m a new writer and I’m not a media influencer. Any thoughts?
04:36 PM - Mar 28, 2023
Allison Larkin
A
In response to tiyerobinson.
There's no harm in trying to find an agent and publisher after you finish your book. Anyone who has been published has been rejected a ton of times. Those rejections aren't public. Don't let someone saying no scare you. If you don't find the right fit for your book, you can always self-publish later
05:44 PM - Mar 28, 2023
Vscienceclasses
A
I've looked it up online, but what's the best way to get a book published? It's my first time having written a novel, and I'm not sure to try and self publish or look for some kind of agent. I don't even know if it's that good.
04:34 PM - Mar 28, 2023
Allison Larkin
A
In response to Vscienceclasses.
After you've finished your book, if you want to be traditionally published, the next step is to look for a literary agent. @ericsmithrocks has a great list of up to date resources on his site: https://www.ericsmithrocks...
05:48 PM - Mar 28, 2023
Madelon Wise
A
Do you know what the copyright laws are around quoting song lyrics in my memoir?

Thank you.
02:59 PM - Mar 28, 2023
Allison Larkin
A
In response to Madelon Wise.
The only time I’ve used song lyrics directly (the epigraph for TPWK) I asked permission from the artist. If the song isn’t public domain, I believe you need permission or you can write about the meaning of song without lyrics. Although I’m not qualified to give legal advice.
03:05 PM - Mar 28, 2023
Allison Larkin
A
In response to Madelon Wise.
Some sources claim if you only use a line or two you’re in the clear, but I don’t know the validity of that and think as writers we always want to be fair and respectful of creative work. You are allowed to use the title of the song though.
03:09 PM - Mar 28, 2023
Adam Desrosiers
A
how would you value inspiration vs. simple work ethic? I.e., if I want to write, but don't feel too inspired at the moment, should I wait for inspiration or just keep putting down words on paper, even if they're possibly garbage?
02:28 PM - Mar 28, 2023 (Edited)
Allison Larkin
A
In response to Adam Desrosiers.
That’s a great question! I do not make myself write when I feel like I can’t. Sometimes I will revisit what I have written or look to art related to my subject to inspire me. Try collecting the little flashes of thoughts around your ideas even when you don’t feel like you have writing energy yet.
03:16 PM - Mar 28, 2023
Allison Larkin
A
In response to Adam Desrosiers.
My best writing energy comes from a walk or doing yard work and listening to music from a playlist for my project. Then I’ll frantically write ideas — which serve as a starting place for the next time I sit down to write. Also you don’t ever have to start at the beginning. Think of it like patchwork
03:19 PM - Mar 28, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}