Vito Michienzi
A
thread 1/20
Well, I certainly didn't expect my offering of an Alanis Morissette thread to be met with such enthusiasm.

Since I can offer no more knowledge of the artist beyond what you would find online or her documentary, "Jagged," I offer my love letter and hot takes.
10:09 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 2/20
Prior to 'Jagged Little Pill' arriving on the scene, Alanis had already been around, but this is where everything changes.

Not only for her, but for music.
10:12 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 3/20
Us Canadians had already offered the world Celine Dion and Shania Twain, but now we were about to unleash something new.

"You Outta Know" breaks out and it solidifies itself as an immediate gem in the music world.
10:13 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 4/20
However, my hot take here, I think they pushed this single too hard as the 'image' because if you listen to the other singles that came out afterward ('Head Over Heels' and 'Ironic'), you'll notice they're very different.

They're all wonderful, but for different reasons.

It showed her range.
10:15 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 5/20
But they kept pushing the 'angst,' so that's where she was pegged.

The thing is, Alanis broke through on her talent and in doing so, got put into a box. A box she easily breaks out of, mind you, but the association is still strong.
10:16 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 6/20
Anyway, this album becomes the best selling rock album of the 90s and shifts the idea of women in music once more.

You don't think, "rock group with female lead," you just think: Alanis.

She paves the way for women to be looked upon as artists in their genre rather than a schtick in a band.
10:18 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 7/20
This would open the doors for others artists like my favourite pop-punk rocker, Avril Lavigne, but also someone like Katy Perry.

Back to the album itself. The first single, 'You Outta Know,' shows a very real takedown of life.
10:21 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 8/20
Who the song is about has still not been revealed, but the urban legend is that was Dave Coulier.

He, for a time, went along with it and claimed it was him, but then retracted later when people took him too seriously.

It would become a part of the joke in 'How I Met Your Mother.'
10:22 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 9/20
The episode where they use the story of Robin Sparkles as a play on the life of Alanis.

During the interview cutscenes, Dave Coulier appears as one of the interviewees and says, "It wasn't me. People keep thinking it was me."
10:25 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 10/20
But it's impossible to talk about the album without talking about 'Ironic.'

Even though it is just one of the many great tracks, people pick on this one most often. Endless comments about how she misappropriates the word 'ironic' and there's no irony in the song except the song itself.
10:26 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 11/20
Here's where I stand on that:
Who cares?

Alanis even shrugs at the whole thing and has fun with it on the James Corden show when she updates the lyrics.

The people who care are the same people who tell you that Moby Dick was the pinnacle of literature, even though nobody actually likes it.
10:29 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 12/20
They just read it to say they've read it and appease the literary ivory tower, but that's where it really ends.

The appeal of the song seems to be in the appeal of the debate about it. Whatever—it's still a great track.
10:30 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 13/20
She would go on to win many awards and garner international recognition.

Her follow-up albums go on to do really well and continue to tap into that endless talent she has, showcasing her songwriting ability and depth.
10:36 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 14/20
Then, of course, her foray into acting where her role as God in Dogma always comes to the forefront of my mind.

She did other films and shows, but her playing God always comes to the front. It was a moment in the movie that when you finally got the reveal, a smile comes over your face.
10:41 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 15/20
However, the true genius here is that she's instantly recognizable in both appearance and voice.

When you see her, you recognize her.
And when you hear one of her songs, you can instantly identify it as an Alanis song.
10:44 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 16/20
This is something that really stood out in the 90s when the music industry was flush with cash and was willing to throw anything against the wall to see what would stick.

If something held for longer than a day, there was a rush to release many sounds like it.
10:46 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 17/20
So voices like hers stood out for their ability to be recognized as an individual.

Not just 'one sound in a series of...'
but one that stands on its own.

She lays a challenge not for others to be like her, but to follow her lead into their own domains.
10:50 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 18/20
In addition to making her an ambassador for others in music, she also becomes an identifiable Canadian icon.

And yes, I know she lives in the US now and has US Citizenship, but people think of her as a Canadian first and she still retains citizenship here.
10:55 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 19/20
But she also embeds herself in the history of alt-rock music.

This is why I'll keep singing her praises from the mountaintops, despite the chagrin of my spouse who really wishes I could expand my musical tastes beyond 2004. I'm still thinking about it.
11:04 PM - May 05, 2023
Vito Michienzi
A
thread 20/20
All this to say is that she's tremendous and while we could deep dive another 30 sprouts on further reasons why, I need some sleep right now.

Perhaps I'll come back to further add to this thread.

How am I doing so far @beec4240
11:05 PM - May 05, 2023 (Edited)
Martha O'Neill
A
In response to Vito Michienzi.
I have a few Alanis stories! Will share soon (logging off now)
11:30 PM - May 05, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}