dani
A
Apropos nothing at all, good/well-intentioned people need to be given the latitude to be wrong. To find out that they were wrong, and to learn from being wrong. The pile-on’s that happen when a good person makes a mistake aren’t helpful beyond when someone apologizes, when they’ve acknowledged it.
09:47 PM - May 24, 2023
Craig Wiesner
A
In response to dani.
Thank you! I remember when I was giving a presentation and one of the people listening, a trans person of color, gave me a look that said "Ummmmm... you need to rethink that." I had the privilege to be able to ask, find out what I'd said that turned out to be wrong, be thankful, and correct myself.
10:00 AM - May 28, 2023
Ground Control
A
In response to dani.
Sadly, admitting wrong has become synonymous with weakness. So doing so online means a perceived loss of social status. So tribal and dumb but that's how too many people roll.
09:26 AM - May 28, 2023
EdwardA(callmeEd)Peterson
A
In response to dani.
Unfortunately, it's often overlooked that someone has already been chastised and apologized for their position, especially if you just hit the reply button from the timeline.
07:44 AM - May 26, 2023
The Shadow Knows
A
In response to dani.
Agree completely! Some humans don't seem to be doing that anymore though, and it's not one side or another - it's human nature now. And, it is very sad to read. I drop off some sites for a while when the pile on seems never-ending
04:53 PM - May 25, 2023
Matlock
A
In response to dani.
Agreed. This isn't the Tribunal. Y'all don't answer to me.
11:55 AM - May 25, 2023
Prefab Spout
A
In response to dani.
We've been conditioned by social media to enjoy the pile on. Or maybe SM just highlighted what was already there - like schoolkids picking on a classmate.
We revel in someone's wrongness out here and get unreasonably angry or smarmy or patronizing. It's so tempting to join in.
07:51 AM - May 25, 2023

Only followers of this user (researchergirl) can see their posts

Susan Simon
A
In response to dani.
This is both true and very impt. I used to regularly model saying “I was wrong” to my students when teaching bc I knew they rarely had adults admit out loud. Some of the best essays I’ve read on this are by Rabbi Danya Ruttenberg “On Repentance and Repair” There’s more to do than say sorry + move on
07:05 AM - May 25, 2023

Only followers of this user (researchergirl) can see their posts

Pierson Tyler-Leonard
A
In response to dani.
My feelings on the subject, particularly as I know myself to be acutely sensitive person, is many people fail to understand there's difference between feedback & critique. One should never offer there critique but rather an unemotional feedback w/o utilizing charged words that seem judgmental..
12:02 AM - May 25, 2023
Jay Carpenter🎸🎶
A
In response to dani.
Hi Dani, after 60+ years living in the world we currently are there are no longer many things I know for certain but of those I do I know there is no shame in being wrong and even less in admitting it. Part of being a good person is the ability to say I was wrong and I am sorry. I've said it often.
10:26 PM - May 24, 2023
Yvette
A
In response to Jay Carpenter🎸🎶.
You know how they say you marry your parents? I kind of married my Mom. Neither my husband or my Mother can ever admit they’re wrong. I’m always the one who ends up apologizing. It’s just easier in the long term. I’m a Cancer ♋️ so I’m very sensitive to discord in my home. 🙄🤷‍♀️
01:29 PM - Jun 01, 2023
Jeff Russell
A
In response to Jay Carpenter🎸🎶.
💯
01:35 PM - Jun 01, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to dani.
Absolutely – that should be the whole point. But sadly it's rare that people are able to learn, admit to being wrong, and apologizing.
09:54 PM - May 24, 2023
JeffCO
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
Did you mean 'apologize' there rather than 'apologizing?'

😁
10:04 PM - May 24, 2023
dani
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
I think that many people are willing to but that they will fight back if they feel they are being attacked. It’s a fine line. But I think that’s where the line of well intention vs not is drawn.
10:17 PM - May 24, 2023
JeffCO
A
In response to dani.
Look, I apologized to @Myles_Away for characterizing the #CommonBond connection as pedestrian that one time, I don't know what else I can do!?!
09:53 PM - May 24, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}