Andrea Junker
A
Why hasn’t anyone decided to merge retirement homes, children’s homes and animal shelters?

A large house where older people teach young children about life and take care of abandoned animals together.

In this arrangement, everyone would be a winner.
01:43 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Haruka (RELOCATED)
A
In response to Andrea Junker.
Except for those who don’t like children, like me. Bring on the dogs, though!
12:07 PM - Jul 28, 2023
Ale Am
A
Andrea as always your words offer wisdom, reflection, stimulus
and it is sad to note indeed that the reality is that they never look for a solution that can be in the interest of the person as a human being in its entirety, but only what can inflate their profit out of proportion
11:52 AM - Jul 26, 2023
J Bean
A
I think it is the Netherlands who do something like this....senior's residences attached to day care centers. The children don't judge if the seniors are old, in diapers, have Arrowroot biscuits, etc. Watched a doc on this and thought it was such a good idea. Add the therapy dogs, etc
11:05 PM - Jul 25, 2023
steveN b
A
Terrific witty wisdom Andrea, as always …
10:19 AM - Jul 25, 2023
Kat Fitzpatrick
A
When I was a social worker in a nursing home, I wanted to do some things along those lines. Have an on site daycare for children where they could mingle with residents. Introduce more plants, a garden, more resident animals. It was being done elsewhere--e.g. big aquariums. But my NH closed.
08:38 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Alison Jean
A
I just saw a post on fb RE a rescue that offers a permanent foster situation (shelter pays for all costs, but the pets don’t get adopted out) between elderly animals and senior citizens. It’s win/win because the old animals are less likely to be adopted and this cuts back on pet ownership costs ❤️
05:02 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Kat Fitzpatrick
A
In response to Alison Jean.
This is a great idea. I'd like to have a second dog but vet bills are prohibitive. My SIL's dog had her teeth cleaned & some pulled today. Over $1000.
08:45 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Nicola Malloy
A
There was a very good series in the UK 'Old People's Home for 4 year olds' which showed the benefits to the older residents and the 4 year olds of spending time together. No pets though.
02:46 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Noel Deskins
A
Sounds like a good idea! I’m sure there would be various levels of functioning! But I like the thinking outside the box!
02:32 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Ellen Leigh
A
Sounds like a good idea on the surface, but the elderly are not always capable or even nurturing to vulnerable small things.
02:13 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Bren
A
I love this ❤
02:07 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Curmudgeon Girl
A
You left out children learning to care for others- people and animals.
02:00 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Grandma Muses
A
I love this!
01:52 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Barbara Reid
A
It sounds good in theory, but can't happen in practice. By the time most folks go to a retirement home, they have issues (cognitive, physical) taking care of themselves, let alone taking care of children. I'm ret admin in children's mental health & acute care hospitals; licensing won't allow this.
01:51 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Mr. Higgins Totally not an alien in a skin suit
A
In response to Barbara Reid.
Agreed, I worked at the other end of life for a Nursing home & rehab facility and some residents aren't exactly very good with children due to their dementia or other peculiar behavioral issues. As for dogs I doubt permanent residence in such a facility could be maintained to human health standards.
02:14 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Kat Fitzpatrick
A
In response to Barbara Reid.
I can't see residents caring for children, but I can see children doing art work, maybe sharing a story time with residents. There are ways to make it a good experience for all if there are the staff / volunteers and the desire.
08:49 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Adam Hackney
A
I second the motion.
01:50 PM - Jul 24, 2023
AndrewDvorak
A
That's a great idea. We just moved to a NC neighborhood that was primarily for older folks. There are children here but not many. I miss the sounds of kids playing.
01:49 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Iz Here
A
Whoa! That's an outstanding idea. When I'm old enough, sign me up pls.
01:48 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Greg Dickson
A
No, that’s absolutely fascinating idea
01:46 PM - Jul 24, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}