Halo-Halo w/ All the Sighs
A
"The most noticeable symptoms, like hyperactivity, manifest differently in boys and are too often disregarded as "ditzy" behavior in girls. Plus, the inattentive symptoms more commonly seen in girls are regularly mistaken for something else." #TeamNeurospicy #adhd
03:41 PM - Aug 29, 2023
PhiNight
A
In response to Halo-Halo w/ All the Sighs.
In the '60s, for a kid to test well on standardized tests, but also have what we now call Inattentive ADHD, guaranteed the infamous and persistent label "underachiever." This was treated in some schools as a deliberate effort to humiliate one's parents. 😱 Shame shame shamety-shame!
05:46 PM - Aug 29, 2023
Sneaky Burrito
A
A lot of these sound like me. It turns out that externally-imposed deadlines work for me, so I stayed in school until age 34 and ended up in a job where I have to meet externally-imposed deadlines. If I had to organize myself? No way that would be happening.
04:19 PM - Aug 29, 2023
Texpat Nutmegger
A
Agree with most of the points in the article. I’m in my 50’s and diagnosis wasn’t an option when I was in school. Everyone is unique, but once I understood I had inattentive ADD, my whole life finally made sense. I still have issues with many things but I now know why and don’t stress as much.
04:09 PM - Aug 29, 2023
Miss Lil' Bit Angie
A
Mine has been screwy lately as I call it. Have you been feeling ok? I've had experience in the past, other ND folks having similar effects with weather, moon, etc. 💜♾️
04:01 PM - Aug 29, 2023
Dennis Clarke
A
It was even more difficult for those of us, back in the day ('50's-60's), when there was no ADD/ADHD diagnosis.
As students, we were seen as obstreperous. Punishment was all they had.
The best part was, when older, I was able to identify my deficits and then change to make them work for me.
03:47 PM - Aug 29, 2023
Halo-Halo w/ All the Sighs
A
In response to Dennis Clarke.
Ugh. I'm so sorry, and I'm glad things could be figured out. I'm in the same ocean until I can get an official diagnosis (for accommodations purposes).

Sites like ADDitude have been a great help...
03:52 PM - Aug 29, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}