Diana
A
Seriously side-eyeing anyone who's out here shilling for Liz Cheney like Democrats need to be giving her props for...what exactly?

She didn't actively try to overthrow the government. Cool, I guess.
04:22 PM - Dec 07, 2023 (Edited)
Jason Ginsburg
A
In response to Diana.
Don't have to love her, but I have to respect that she basically ended her political career and gave up a lifetime safe seat in Congress to sound the alarm *to her fellow Republicans* about Trump.
04:26 PM - Dec 07, 2023
Isa-Lee Wolf
A
In response to Jason Ginsburg.
It was a calculated move for this exact moment so people like you would ignore what she actually supports and her real record and pretend she's some kind of hero for doing the bare minimum.

She didn't "give up her career" she bet on being the new face of the same old party.
05:28 PM - Dec 07, 2023
Jason Ginsburg
A
In response to Isa-Lee Wolf.
So? The party as it is now presents an existential threat to this country. The old GOP did not. I don't like that GOP and won't ever vote for it, but that version was reasonable and could be negotiated with. The alternative cannot. So which will it be? Because the GOP isn't going anywhere.
05:32 PM - Dec 07, 2023
Isa-Lee Wolf
A
The GOP has ALWAYS been an existential threat to the US.

Always.

What we're seeing isn't some radical new policy, it is, and please read this twice:

THE NATURAL CULMINATION OF STANDARD REPUBLICAN POLICY.

How do you not get that? THIS IS WHO REPUBLICANS ARE.

Look at her voting record.
05:40 PM - Dec 07, 2023
Jason Ginsburg
A
In response to Isa-Lee Wolf.
If it has always been an existential threat to the US, how did the country survive all the Republican presidents? How about 1981 - 1993? We seem to still be here.

NOW the threat is existential. Trump has changed the party and politics in general. Now we have to stop him. Cheney is on our side!
05:41 PM - Dec 07, 2023
frog_enabler
A
You are probably tired of this discussion, but I wanted to share this related piece by Hartmann on the GOP, in case you haven't seen it. Cheney was useful, but she wants to be president and is against voting rights. https://hartmannreport.com...
02:01 PM - Dec 08, 2023
Jason Ginsburg
A
I am indeed tired, but I welcome respectful discussion and am open to new information.

Cheney is a politician. She wants to be elected to higher office and sell books. This doesn't make her unique, or uniquely evil.

She doesn't plan to run now because it would help Trump. In '28, who knows?
In response to frog_enabler.
02:29 PM - Dec 08, 2023
Wokity McWoke-Woke (Powdered Toast, Man)
A
I appreciate the conversation and you raise an interesting point:

Why is it that whenever the same people who constructed and hand delivered the New American Fascism decide to suddenly have an attack of morals and announce have “seen the light”, there is a book involved? Barr, Bolton, Cheney…
02:40 PM - Dec 08, 2023
Jason Ginsburg
A
In response to Wokity McWoke-Woke (Powdered Toast, Man).
Politicians write books. I don't fault them for that.

Honestly, I don't care WHY any of these former Trump officials is speaking out against him. Just that they ARE.

But their voices matter to GOP voters. If they can peel off 5% of Trump's votes, democracy is saved. Then we can deal with '28.
02:43 PM - Dec 08, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}