April Sparkles
A
thread 1/6
It’s Christmas Eve.
It must be time for “the talk”.

I see you all scurrying about attempting to make this season perfect.

It’s time to stop.

Remember the time the power went out and you couldn’t cook the big meal you planned, or the time your mom forgot to put the turkey in the oven?
08:35 AM - Dec 24, 2023 (Edited)
April Sparkles
A
thread 2/6
Of course you do!

That’s the year you remember how everyone came together, laughed, and made everything work.

That’s the year you made a memory.
08:35 AM - Dec 24, 2023 (Edited)
April Sparkles
A
thread 3/6
Do you think our ancestors planned for us to spend weeks on end in a tizzy of trying to plan one perfect day?

They did not.

Yet they still made beautiful memories.

They had crooked trees, they had sparse meals and they were charmed by the miracle of an orange in a sock in December.
08:35 AM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
thread 4/6
This year, give yourself a gift.

Give yourself the grace to be imperfect and happy.

Give yourself the opportunity to make memories out of your human imperfection.

Give yourself, calm and prepared to truly enjoy the people you’re with.
08:37 AM - Dec 24, 2023 (Edited)
April Sparkles
A
thread 5/6
They don’t care if the stuffing is perfect.

They care that you took the time to ask about their lives, play a game, or sing along loudly while you told them how awesome they are.

Please come back and tell us all what went wrong and how it ended up being fun.

Love,
April 💛
08:41 AM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
thread 6/6
***This concludes April’s holiday season lecture on how perfection isn’t always the goal. 💛
08:42 AM - Dec 24, 2023
Kevin Richardson
A
In response to April Sparkles.
My father died in August of 1990. I was sad at the time but it didn't really hit me. In Dec of that year my wife, daughter and I were driving to get a Christmas tree when "The Living Years" by Mike & The Mechanics played on the radio and I burst out crying on the highway. I now love that song.
08:00 AM - Dec 25, 2023
April Sparkles
A
In response to Kevin Richardson.
Isn’t it amazing how music holds the memory to our past?

Dad passed on Ukrainian Christmas. His last words on this earth were him singing along to a song.

He was sound asleep & woke to sing 3 lines.

That was gift.

I hope you enjoy a beautiful day filled with good memories.

Love,
April 💛
08:07 AM - Dec 25, 2023
Ellen Leigh
A
I remember the year my ex and I were newlyweds trying to run between two families for the day, it was below 0, we got a flat tire, the spare was flat, but we made it to my folks, only to have my grandmother say: "The family goes to hell when the kids get married." Stopped trying after that. Fuck her
06:21 PM - Dec 24, 2023
Diana Tyler
A
The best gift I gave myself was permission to NOT do "expected" things that brought more stress than joy. In churches, the Xmas season prep starts in October & the pace doesn't let up until Xmas morning. So at home I stopped putting up a tree/baking/sending cards. Now retired, I again have a tree.
01:35 PM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
In response to Diana Tyler.
It’s okay to choose the traditions we take part in. We don’t have to take them all on. 💛
09:52 PM - Dec 24, 2023
Madrigal Rose
A
Thanks for this, April. You are so kind.
I have not succumbed to the obligatory stress of Christmas for at least 15 years. Too much baggage around the holidays for me. At work I happily wear my Bah Humbug hat. Someone's got to do it ☺️ I'm ready for New Year's before we get to Thanksgiving.
11:55 AM - Dec 24, 2023
K Ray
A
Great advice! The Christmas Eve ice storm that cut power in our state for 3 weeks was hard.
11:53 AM - Dec 24, 2023
⚜️Karyl Towers⚜️
B
My husband & I traveled for 37 years. We were teachers so we had a good break. It was chaotic. Gathering in a small house with 1 bathroom! Lots of people & dogs. Too many dogs! That era is over & we live close to our kids & meet on a day when no one has to work. Much more calm & enjoyable.
11:47 AM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
In response to ⚜️Karyl Towers⚜️.
This is such a good tradition. Christmas should be enjoyable, not regrettable. 💛
11:44 AM - Dec 26, 2023
Elle Cohen
A
Beautiful. Now is the time to just go with it whatever it is.
11:20 AM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
In response to Elle Cohen.
Yes! Exactly that. 💛
11:44 AM - Dec 26, 2023
James O'Shea
A
I remember the time my SIL served the frozen pumpkin pie but forgot to thaw and then bake it.
11:18 AM - Dec 24, 2023
Bren
A
My favorite present was a paper plate full of home made chocolate peanut butter balls. Made it to the car, made it home then tripped up the stairs. Seven dogs came running. I couldn't cry over bruised knees, I was too worried about the dogs eating chocolate. I hobbled a bit, the dogs were fine 🎄 🐕
11:05 AM - Dec 24, 2023
PS Annie
A
Power going out Christmases are often the best. I remember the blizzard of '96 when al my young second cousins got snowed in with us. We made the turkey on the BBQ and then did roast veggies on it while the Turkey was resting. It was delicious and my dad had lots of helpers with snow clearing!
11:03 AM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
In response to PS Annie.
That sounds so fun!! 💛
11:52 AM - Dec 26, 2023
Mary Locker
A
Merry Christmas, April. My days are even brighter than usual because of the kindness and wisdom that you share here. Thank you for connection, smiles and raisin awareness. Sending love and warm wishes that you enjoy the best holiday yet. And that you make it to Disneyworld next year. 🩷 🎄 🏰 🩷
11:01 AM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
In response to Mary Locker.
Thank you Mary! You are always such a bright light here.
We are hoping for a late 2024 escape.
Do you have some good plans for this next year? 💛
11:54 AM - Dec 26, 2023
Gloria H
A
The 1st Christmas before my bro married my now SIL, my mom was making 2 pies simultaneously. She forgot to add sugar to both pies. She realized her omission at the party. I told her to just add whipped cream to the top of each slice. She was so mad at herself.
10:18 AM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
In response to Gloria H.
My mom did this very same thing! It was strawberry-Rhubarb pie.
My father ate every single piece and told her it was the most amazing pie ever.
(It was awful!) 😂🥹💛
11:56 AM - Dec 26, 2023
Kathleen Rupnow
A
Can't think of a real disaster but I did send my husband out in the freezing rain one Christmas eve to get the stocking fruit at a convenience store lol. I make sure the tree is full of odds and sods of Christmases past that are perfectly imperfect and with that foundation it all works just fine.
10:03 AM - Dec 24, 2023
Karen Dykstra
A
In response to Kathleen Rupnow.
This reminds me that my mom always put a piece of fruit and nuts in our stockings.🥰
10:12 AM - Dec 24, 2023
Spiritual Annie
A
One year, after leaving the turkey unwrapped on the kitchen drainboard to thaw while we were at mass, we came home to find for small holes in it, two on each side of the breastbone. And there was an innocent looking kitty on the sofa, squinting her eyes at us as if to proclaim her innocence. 🤣🤣🤣
09:48 AM - Dec 24, 2023
Renee Tang
A
In response to Spiritual Annie.
😇 The innocent kitty was doing quality assurance on the turkey *for the family*. Hopefully they were appreciative of her efforts. 😄
06:20 PM - Dec 24, 2023
Rebecca
A
She’s letting you know that that was entrapment and no court in the land would convict her.
06:20 PM - Dec 24, 2023
Caryl D
A
Merry Christmas
09:47 AM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
In response to Caryl D.
Merry Christmas, Caryl!

I hope this season brings you unexpected moments of joy.

Love,
April 💛
09:49 AM - Dec 24, 2023
WestCoaster
A
I knew a guy whose birthday was Dec. 25. One year, he had just separated from his wife, moved to a new city to start a new job, spent the first Christmas away from his kids, and turned 40. On Christmas Day. Alone. I expect most of us will have a better Christmas than he did, regardless.
09:39 AM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
In response to WestCoaster.
I hope every Christmas afterward was a good one for him.

Imagine how bereft he must have felt. 🥺

💛
09:48 AM - Dec 24, 2023
L B
A
This is apropos of life in general. Have a Merry Christmas apirl_sparkle (aka raisin queen.)
09:18 AM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
In response to L B.
Thank you!
I hope you enjoy a peaceful season that brings a twinkle to your eyes when you recall it in years to come.
💛
09:53 AM - Dec 24, 2023
Debbie Lu
A
Such a beautiful reminder to focus on the joy of connecting. We all have stories to tell of imperfect days. One of the stories told now about those times was the frantic search for a stove we could afford when ours broke.T minus 2 days to the big day. Our entire meal was made in a convection oven!
09:11 AM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
In response to Debbie Lu.
Love this!

You were creative and you created a fun memory, even though it was probably frustrating at the time.

Merry Christmas!

Love,
April 💛
10:01 AM - Dec 24, 2023
Spiritual Annie
A
LOL With 7 kids, Mama was joyfully imperfect and we loved her for it. She and Granny had an annual argument about how long to cook the turkey and at what temp. She broiled the bread one year instead of baking it. And she often basted in the hem of her Christmas outfit minutes before midnight mass.❤️
09:04 AM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
I think I’d love hanging out with your mom! 💛
10:02 AM - Dec 24, 2023
jocelynjtweet
A
This evening I’m making pasta with meat sauce (pancetta, Italian sausage, and ham), simmered for several hours. Tomorrow we’ll have our good friends over for prime rib, green beans and roasted potatoes. Tuesday will be stretchy pants day 🤣😉
09:02 AM - Dec 24, 2023
Samantha Kemp-Jackson
A
In response to jocelynjtweet.
How about we crest a “Stretchy Pants Week?” You know - between December 25 through the 31st? 😂😂😂
#stuffed
09:09 AM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
In response to jocelynjtweet.
Yum! That sounds lovely! 💛
10:02 AM - Dec 24, 2023
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
Wonderful gentle advice.

My daughter said to me a few years ago. "Mom, you always made Christmas fun."
No matter what we did or did not do, had or did not have, we did have fun and love and that is what people remember.
08:54 AM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
In response to Carla Reid + Chilla.
Isn’t it awesome she noticed?

Spending Christmas burnt out, frustrated and feeling overwhelmed will bring memories of regret.

We just need to have fun.
Kids are smart.
We need to let them lead. 💛
08:57 AM - Dec 24, 2023
Jacqueline
A
Beautifully said, April! 💛

And just to reinforce your words, today’s #DailyPictureTheme is #Grace !

(A coincidence, I swear!)
08:44 AM - Dec 24, 2023
April Sparkles
A
In response to Jacqueline.
That’s so cool! It’s a great word.
💛
08:53 AM - Dec 24, 2023
Melissa Griffith ☕ aka Masker
A
We set the stuffing on fire when we were kids! Oopsy. 🤣🤣