Mc Crispy
A
thread 1/12
We live in an extremely complicated world.

Technology was touted as "time-saving" and "easing the burden", and a host of other catchphrases, so that we'd buy into it.

In many regards, technology has made life better for so many people, while for some it's been difficult to understand/navigate.
02:25 PM - Mar 10, 2024
Mc Crispy
A
thread 2/12
There are valid criticisms for and against. Those are based solely in the individual use case.

Where things really start to take a turn, is when you have multiple services, each with their own rules, wrapped in one product.

In the Pod this morning I saw several people
Mc Crispy
A
thread 3/12
questioning the level of involvement the ad service has, and where is the line drawn.

I find it interesting that there's so much concern in this one case, when it's been standard in print, radio, and television, since forever.

Advertisers have had a lot of power when it comes to the money they're
Mc Crispy
A
thread 4/12
spending.

In the 50s and 60s, they were a big part of keeping those sources segregated.

In the 70s and 80s, they made sure LGBTQIA people were only seen as monsters.

We've discussed here NUMEROUS times how the media are not our friends. They never have been. It's all dollars to them.
Mc Crispy
A
thread 5/12
Now, in regards to THIS event, I can only speak from the back end of it.

Google Ads as we know, is the ad provider helping to keep the lights on here. And we may not agree with some of the ads we see.

When you logged in after they went live, you were asked if you wanted general or personalized ads
Mc Crispy
A
thread 6/12
I imagine most clicked on general. The ramifications of that is you're getting a mix of ads that don't align with your wants or values.

If you clicked personal, you're getting more tailored ads based on your activity across ALL Google products.

You can change settings here to change to personal
Mc Crispy
A
thread 7/12
AND you can changes your ad settings in your Google account to fine tune what you see.

Those are your responsibilities to do. It isn't the responsibility of the service provider.

It is also your responsibility to go read what may violate the ad service providers ToS. You shouldn't have to be held
Mc Crispy
A
thread 8/12
by the hand through this. Their ToS isn't hard to find. It's literally the top result in the search.

I've worked with Google Ads from all sides: advertiser, ad viewer, and ad host.

They don't just ask hosts to remove content willy nilly. As big as they are, they don't have the manpower to monitor
Mc Crispy
A
thread 9/12
all of their hosts 24/7. So they use algorithms to look for very specific patterns, etc.

I had a VERY adult themed blog on Blogger before and after Google took it over. Not once was my content flagged for removal. Not once was I asked to censor anything.

And before anyone tries to "what about"
Mc Crispy
A
thread 10/12
this, EVERY ad service has a similar ToS. This is not in the slightest unique to Google.

You can disagree with their rules and that's fine. Disagree to your hearts content. But you are NEVER going to find a service that doesn't have the same requirements. It's part of doing business in the
Mc Crispy
A
thread 11/12
technocentric world we live in.

The onus however, is on you to fine tune what you see. That takes a little time and effort to get it just right, FOR YOU.

It's not the responsibility of the Spoutible team to do that for you.

And it's also asking them to shoot themselves in the foot by demanding
Mc Crispy
A
thread 12/12
that they tell Google to shove off when they alert to problematic content.

Ads are a necessity. And we have to play by their rules. Clearly they haven't been abusing the flagging process to this point. There's no reason to freak out about this.

Carry on and have a day.
Don Rowe
A
In response to Mc Crispy.
"A replicant is a tool. If they`re a benefit, it`s not my problem."
- Rick Deckard, Bladerunner
01:16 PM - Mar 11, 2024
Carmen Derbedrossian
A
Awesome info, thank you! The more I learn from you the more I realize how little I know about your world.
02:17 AM - Mar 11, 2024
Mc Crispy
A
In response to Carmen Derbedrossian.
Hehehe I worked as the Traffic Manager at 5 TV networks throughout my career, and Operations Manager at one of them.

I handled everything from library maintenance to ad placement to show editing. I had to wear a lot of hats.
02:53 AM - Mar 11, 2024
Maria OLeary
A
This is very good, thank you!
04:40 PM - Mar 10, 2024
Diogenes Wept
A
NOOOoooo! Smash the looms! Burn the mills! Dismantle the wash-boxes!
04:38 PM - Mar 10, 2024
Gloria H
A
Thank you for sharing this. I learn a lot from you. I didn't even realize I already had the ads set to personalized. Makes me wonder about the rat ad I see? Hmmmm 🤔
04:19 PM - Mar 10, 2024
Yolanda
A
In response to Gloria H.
Omg I have been side-eyeing that ad too like, wut? 😂
04:45 PM - Mar 10, 2024
Mc Crispy
A
In response to Gloria H.
LOL me too! I checked the information for that ad and it appears the advertiser instructions (or Traffic Instructions as we call it) are: show to everyone who speaks English. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
05:16 PM - Mar 10, 2024
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
I customize my ads from Google. And I send feedback.
03:01 PM - Mar 10, 2024
Dréa25
A
Thank you for this. I didn't realize you could personalize your ads.
02:39 PM - Mar 10, 2024
Mc Crispy
A
In response to Dréa25.
In the early days of Google Ads, it was REALLY easy to do. As time has gone by, they've buried the settings quite a bit to maximize their profit by making us exhausted.

It can still be done, and done effectively. It just takes time and perseverance.
02:46 PM - Mar 10, 2024
Linda Eisenstein
A
I'm trying to figure out how to petsonize my ad content & couldn't find it. Appreciate any help you can give.
02:32 PM - Mar 10, 2024
Mc Crispy
A
In response to Linda Eisenstein.
In Chrome, you can click on:

Your profile icon in the upper right

Manage your Google Account

Data & Privacy

Personalized Ads
02:39 PM - Mar 10, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}