Christopher Bouzy
A
When you can get Democrats and Republicans to agree, you are in trouble. TikTok is in trouble.
11:07 AM - Mar 23, 2023
tb ☘️
A
In response to Christopher Bouzy.
some of the questions were ridiculous. the people asking the questions should at least have some basic understanding of technology it’s embarrassing to watch
11:42 PM - Mar 23, 2023
US ARMY VETERAN
A
tik tok is a chinese spy tool
11:33 PM - Mar 23, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
Casey Newton of Platformer made some really good observations about the hearing today.

https://www.platformer.new...
09:40 PM - Mar 23, 2023
Diana
A
TikTok is shady as shit, but the government shouldn't have the power to just shut down whatever the hell app it wants. It's not going to stop at TikTok. I'm very concerned about all of this.
09:26 PM - Mar 23, 2023
Jimmy Hart
A
The discourse surrounding it is unhinged though.😳😬
01:28 PM - Mar 23, 2023
TheForty(3)YearOldXennial (he/him)
A
At least we are against it for legit reasons. They're just "China bad. Now excuse us while we lick their boots in secret because we have white do as I say not as I do privilege!"

Also, they gave us that awful ABCDEFU song.
01:16 PM - Mar 23, 2023 (Edited)
Carolina Villaseca
A
E-mail (I know!) your Rep & 2 Senators. To find them go to house.gov and senate.gov and put in your address. Stress that small businesses, people w/disabilities, people who are suicidal, scientists, teachers, indigenous people from around the world, etc are sharing information, creating knowledge.
12:23 PM - Mar 23, 2023
Michael McCaughan
A
I'm not holding my breath honestly, I think the problem here is you have a lot of very non technical people making technical decisions and it's very easy to mislead or bullshit them.

The FACT is if the Chinese government says "Do this" and you say "No" you go to prison.
12:10 PM - Mar 23, 2023
Michael McCaughan
A
In response to Michael McCaughan.
So when I see these blanket "Well we would not comply" statements it IMMEDIATELY rings "bullshit" to me, explain how you can protect data, but saying you simply would say "no" is idiotic, and something that no reasonable person should accept.
12:12 PM - Mar 23, 2023
It's Suzy (f/k/a SuzyQL)
A
I feel like the MAGA Republicans (and even the "normal" Republicans) want to take down TikTok because the voting demographic on the site is not in their favor and actively works against them . . . and I feel like the Dems in Congress are just too clueless to get it.
11:52 AM - Mar 23, 2023
M F
B
In response to It's Suzy (f/k/a SuzyQL).
This! They don’t want younger generations to be knowledgeable, and this also includes many Democrats.
12:05 PM - Mar 23, 2023 (Edited)
Robb
A
i think it was Sun Tzu who said: "The enemy of my enemy is still my enemy. But that third guy also really sucks."
11:15 AM - Mar 23, 2023
Robin Brenizer
A
This CEO is falling the sniff test with me
11:13 AM - Mar 23, 2023
Michael McCaughan
A
In response to Robin Brenizer.
His entire job is to show up and bullshit a room full of nontechnical dipshits, and based on results we have seen from hearings with Google, Facebook, Twitter etc.. In the past I don't think it's a very high bar to hit.
12:14 PM - Mar 23, 2023
Ronald Alexander
A
MAGA/GQP is against Tik-Toc because of their bread and butter of racism and the China threat. Never forget authoritarians always have to have an enemy. Methinks Dems are going along because they don't want to be seen as weak on China. Election year panderering. Dems never fails in this area
11:12 AM - Mar 23, 2023
Fern Lovebond (they/them)
A
In response to Ronald Alexander.
The issue is complex, w/ lots of motives, but there's a history of GOP attempts to stop young people voting, & if TikTok influence young ppl toward liberal views (arguably it does), they will want it shut down. Dems, OTOH, may actually give a shit about national security in non-performative ways.
12:11 PM - Mar 23, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}