(laura) elsen
A
I welcome others to further the discussion, provide books and other resources that have made a difference in your journey toward anti-racism, or provide your own testimony.

Keep pushing the line forward.
05:52 PM - Apr 10, 2023
Miggs Bylaws
A
In response to (laura) elsen.
This was a great thread and very relatable. I have 4 book suggestions:
- So you want to talk about race" by Ijeoma Oluo
- "All the Real Indians Died Off - And 20 other myths ..." by Roxanne Dunbar-Oritz
- "Against White Feminism" by Rafia Zakaria
-"The White Allies Handbook" by Lecia Michelle
11:57 AM - Nov 20, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Miggs Bylaws.
thanks for addding your recommendations, excellent resources all, and reading through.
12:08 PM - Nov 20, 2023
Miggs Bylaws
A
In response to Miggs Bylaws.
Things I learned:
- Centering white feminism is harmful to feminist goals
- Using the gender binary when confronting racism also helps re-establish patriarchial norms of yt supremacy
- Doing 'the work' means mainly listening & learning on our own time, & ask questions of other learning friends.
12:32 PM - Nov 20, 2023
Ang Darkstar
A
Fabulous thread!!
I hate thinking I'm part of the problem but you are right. If we are not actively against the racist yt patriarchy, we help it along. Thank you.
08:44 PM - Nov 06, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Ang Darkstar.
thank you for spending time reading through, i'm glad you got something from it.
08:45 PM - Nov 06, 2023
Dorothy P
A
I recommend three books:
They Were Her Property, by Stephanie E Jones-Rogers.
The Sum of Us, by Heather McGhee
A People’s History of the United States, by Howard Zinn.
08:00 PM - Oct 09, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Dorothy P.
thank you for adding your recommendations, dorothy
10:13 PM - Oct 09, 2023
Rachel Lucas
A
I found The Sum of Us and Wilmingtons Lie helpful to my understanding of systemic racism and the harm to all of us from it.
11:16 PM - Aug 08, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Rachel Lucas.
excellent recommendations, thanks for adding your thoughts.
11:20 PM - Aug 08, 2023
The Middle Sister
A
Thank you for this thread and for your book recommendations. Every day is a learning opportunity. Also agree with others who mention Isabelle Wilkerson, The Warmth of Other Sons.
02:43 PM - Aug 05, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to The Middle Sister.
thanks for reading through!
02:51 PM - Aug 05, 2023
NorthCoast TerryMaryJoan
A
TY for saying this so powerfully & eloquently. I grew up yt -very segregated “northern” city & this is a Life. Long. Undoing. Belief- my work to desegregate my life & my mind. Being in Community, friendships, self-education, Listening, Lifting. Fiction reading rec NK Jemisin “City We Became”.
09:49 AM - Jul 20, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to NorthCoast TerryMaryJoan.
thank you for reading through. i agree, the work is lifelong and generational.

excellent recco, nk jemisin is hands down one of my favorite authors.
10:01 AM - Jul 20, 2023
ecsbrooklyn
A
Wilkerson's first book, The Warmth of Other Suns, opened my eyes to things I didn't know existed. I was shocked. And Kindred, Octavia Butler, made slavery real. Beautiful, horrible, absorbing, evocative.
09:56 PM - Jul 19, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to ecsbrooklyn.
thanks for adding your recommendations and appreciate your reading through.
10:06 PM - Jul 19, 2023
TheeDebWild
A
Great thread, thank you! The book that has transformed my perception of WS, along with the 1619 Project, is “Caste, the Origins of our Discontent” by Isabel Wilkerson.
01:46 PM - Jul 19, 2023
Katie Foutz
A
In response to TheeDebWild.
YES to these book recs and adding “My Grandmother’s Hands: Racialized Trauma and the Pathway toMending Our Hearts and Bodies” by Resmaa Menakem.
01:53 PM - Jul 19, 2023
Kos
A
Good stuff - helpful, non-judgmental and sincere. Much appreciated. I have not read Kendi yet - I will get on that.
02:43 PM - Jul 17, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Kos.
thanks for reading through. stamped from the beginning has become my go-to reference book for most general knowledge questions of history. enjoy the learning!
03:20 PM - Jul 18, 2023
J Pal
A
This is next on the agenda!
04:23 PM - Jun 30, 2023
DJGaffney
A
Mine was poetry. Anything by Nikki Giovanni, Ntozake Shange, Gwendolyn Brooks.
03:48 PM - Jun 30, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to DJGaffney.
lovely suggestions, dj, thanks for contributing!
04:02 PM - Jun 30, 2023
Mike Vangelos
A
The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story
03:06 PM - Jun 30, 2023
Lynne Perednia
A
What a great thread! Thank you! For NF, Caste, The Sum of Us and Between the World and Me are treasured books. Fiction is essential; narrative and story do so much! Jesmyn Ward and S.A. Cosby are among my current favorite writers.
03:04 PM - Jun 30, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Lynne Perednia.
thank you reading through and for adding to the growing list of books and resources.
03:11 PM - Jun 30, 2023
Ethical Atheist
A
I've read many books on racism and spent much time learning to see my privileges.

But nothing hit like reading 'The Bluest Eye' and 'Sula' by Toni Morrison.

Sometimes fiction can teach as well, or at least differently than reality.
02:12 PM - Jun 30, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Ethical Atheist.
yes, thank you for adding. fiction is so important to developing empathy and understanding the fullness of other's experiences.
02:20 PM - Jun 30, 2023
Pam Sourelis
A
In response to Ethical Atheist.
Morrison's Beloved will rip your heart in two . . .
10:06 PM - Jul 19, 2023
Rissa Corn
A
Can I just say that it doesn't matter what u read...nothing will change until u interact with, befriend & get comfortable w/BIPoC in person.
We have to be real to u.
U have to see our faces in ur mind when we're discussed.
U have to know & love our children like ur own.
We have to be real to u
02:12 PM - Jun 30, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Rissa Corn.
absolutely, rissa, 100,000%. thank you for adding this lesson!
02:16 PM - Jun 30, 2023
Fearlessgirl24
A
In response to Rissa Corn.
This is so true. In 1999 I moved into Atlanta from the predominantly white suburbs and joined a tennis team out of Piedmont Park where I was the lone WW. To say I leaned a lot from my teammates is an understatement.
11:24 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Salma Typhii
A
Read anything by Vine Deloria Jr
https://www.thriftbooks.co...
02:08 PM - Jun 30, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Salma Typhii.
excellent recommendation. i'll have to add these to my own reading list. thank you!
02:45 PM - Jun 30, 2023

Only followers of this user (Cblifeisgood) can see their posts

Vicki with an eye
A
I might have missed if someone has already posted these, but 2 amazing books are "Hidden Figures"and "The Incredible Life of Henrietta Lacks" (the movies are OK but the books are a MUST!) Also just watched Devotion and Jessie Brown is another hero that I'll always be thankful for knowing about now.
09:20 AM - Jun 30, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Vicki with an eye.
thanks for reading and adding your recommendations, vicki
09:22 AM - Jun 30, 2023
Vicki with an eye
A
In response to Vicki with an eye.
That should have been "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks", dang, sorry 'bout that!! Waaay past my 7 min edit spout window! 🫢
11:36 AM - Jul 04, 2023
ميجان the Librarian
A
I’m a librarian. I strongly strongly recommend The Black Queen (Jumata Emil), The New Jim Crow, Between the World And Me, Hood Feminism, Such a Fun Age, any TED talks by Kimberlé Crenshaw, The Hate U Give - I have more but character limits
06:25 PM - Jun 18, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to ميجان the Librarian.
thank you for adding your recommendations. there are a couple there for me to add to my own reading list!
07:14 PM - Jun 18, 2023
jocelynjtweet
A
Thank you for this eloquent thread
06:28 AM - Jun 17, 2023
Jenni K
A
The 3 part graphic novel series March by the late John Lewis is an absolute must-read/own.
11:58 PM - Jun 13, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Jenni K.
agree, really a fantastic read. thanks for sharing!
12:17 AM - Jun 14, 2023
Susan Simon
A
Just found "whyisthatracist" Cheryl Mercado Arnedt on Insta
"Goals: destroy the narrative; get out of the damn way; do no more harm; educate yts about racism and yt supremacy; encourage them to join the fight
whyisthatracist.com" Speaks truth to power for white folks trying to unlearn.
07:18 PM - Jun 13, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Susan Simon.
excellent resource for insta users. thank you for making a contribution to the discussion, susan. appreciate it.
08:01 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Silke Spoutista
A
This book by Jonathan Wetzl :”Dying of Whiteness” isn’t the newest book to recommend, but it has been a work book for me since reading it over 2 years ago.
The research is flawless and deep, but Jonathan weaves the human stories between them perfectly.
06:56 PM - Jun 13, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Silke Spoutista.
thanks for adding your recommendation. i'll add it to my list too. appreciate your taking the time to share!
08:00 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Nevada Jones
A
Wow, your threading game is Olympic-level. Thank you for the reading recs. and the effectively-worded message. More of us yt folks, no matter how aware/woke/on-it we imagine ourselves to be, need these reality checks, and often.
07:45 PM - May 22, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Nevada Jones.
thank you for reading through and i'm glad to know you found some new books for the beach/pool. keep learning!
08:12 PM - May 22, 2023
K Ray
A
Great recs. Here's my thread of recommendations in order of preference.

The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America by economist Richard Rothstein (2017) NYT Bestseller.
07:07 PM - May 08, 2023
K Ray
A
In response to K Ray.
Another good read.
Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present by Harriet A. Washington (2006) National Book Critics Circle Award Winner.
04:17 PM - May 12, 2023
Randy Resists
A
In response to K Ray.
Great book! Very enlightening! Helps me to see patterns of systemic racism that I was totally unaware of. A group of us from church read & discussed it via zoom during covid lockdown. I am so glad the book was recommended. White privilege is real and must be recognized in order to be corrected.
12:06 AM - Jun 14, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
Really great thread.
09:48 PM - May 03, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Linda Eisenstein.
Thank you, Linda. Means a lot coming from you. 🫶🏻
10:38 PM - May 03, 2023
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
Listening to Black/POC women taught me more about the ways racism manifests and harms, and the guises it hides behind. The personal will win over the second-hand experience every time. And listening without making myself the center of the conversation was one of the best lessons I've learned.
09:27 PM - May 03, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
In response to Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie.
Big "way to go" to Spoutible for helping me in that regard. My follows list is easily the most diverse group I've ever been a part of.

(And I've lived overseas for over a decade. But was too busy working to engage as much as I should have. And that's a loss I'll never get back.)
12:11 AM - Jun 14, 2023
Janet aka April
A
In response to Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie.
Thank you for expressing so well what I have been thinking. I am so grateful for this site.
09:27 AM - Jun 30, 2023
Sitara 68
A
This is going to be uncomfortable for white people to hear, but it's not just a matter of a fear of a loss of privilege or apathy to the plight of POC, it's also fear of revenge. This whole thing is a projection that they will become the victim. /1
09:14 AM - Apr 25, 2023
Sitara 68
A
In response to Sitara 68.
It's fear of a pluralistic society distilled. As someone who has lived 99% of my life in minority majority cities, I can't stand most white people because of this. For all the bluster, white people are a scared bunch.
09:16 AM - Apr 25, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Sitara 68.
This is great point and I appreciate your thoughts. You're right, white people are fearful of their perceptions of a truly integrated society and
they chose to weaponize it rather than do the work to release themselves from the fear/self-victimization.

Thank you for adding your comments!
09:26 AM - Apr 25, 2023
Chris Barron
A
Thanks.
04:54 PM - Apr 22, 2023
(laura) elsen
A
In response to Chris Barron.
Thanks for reading, Chris
08:34 PM - Apr 22, 2023