RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
thread 1/9
Folks, last night I wanted to do a thread on the Debt Celling, but I gotta do a thread on something a lot more immediate. I'm noticing here that we have the same people whom will withhold their vote because the dems and I quote "have to earn my vote."
03:13 PM - May 28, 2023
A
thread 2/9
That "gotta earn my vote" mentality is hyper dangerous and also hyper lazy. I'm fairly certain this recent, like 2010 recent when these dems abandoned Obama causing him to lose the house, and in 2014 causing him to lose the Senate.
03:15 PM - May 28, 2023
A
thread 3/9
This mentality folks, is how nothing gets done. For example, a reasonable person knows they have to continue to get involved in politics, and will do the research needed to vote for the right person come primaries. That is, this is the only shot to get the right person, and not a Tricia Cotham.
03:16 PM - May 28, 2023
A
thread 4/9
Also by withholding your vote, you're giving a signal to the GOP that you're more than willing to give over votes to them, than to support the candidate. That is, there's no reason for party purification.
03:17 PM - May 28, 2023
A
thread 5/9
Let's also consider that this tactic cost us huge in 2016 when Hillary Clinton and the rest of us warned that Trump can (and did) reshape the SCOTUS in the GOP's corrupt image. Not only that but many of these "earn my vote" crowd voted for Jill Stein, or Gary Johnson.
03:18 PM - May 28, 2023
A
thread 6/9
I'm unsure if this is an OP, or people believe this mentality. If it's an OP, then it's up to us to just ignore it and move on, and block said op. If it's an actual person then it's time for voter education.
03:19 PM - May 28, 2023
A
thread 7/9
Ultimately, withholding your vote, or "they gotta earn my vote!" or voting for a loser third party is a signal to the GOP they can do as they wish...and if you have this mentality you WILL get blamed.
03:20 PM - May 28, 2023
A
thread 8/9
It's up to you to participate pure and simple and voting and researching are the barest minimum you can do. If you wish to do phone/text banking, letters, post cards, canvassing for GOTV etc, then do so...because being lazy is not an option.
03:21 PM - May 28, 2023
A
thread 9/9
So...you've ignored the past two years when he (and a democratically controlled congress) did a lot, and needed a lot more help now in 2023?
04:37 PM - May 29, 2023
Cajsa
A
In response to RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his).
Not to mention that our votes have been earned already by the most effective administration in decades. Judges, infrastructure, Ukraine...again and again, Biden has proved himself.
08:17 PM - Feb 23, 2024
Pete Sapardi
A
I'm so tired of these shallow assholes. The presidency is a job, not a reality show.
01:35 PM - Feb 23, 2024
R.A. Roth
A
The "earn my vote" crowd tends to also be the "I don't vote" crowd. It's nothing more than a pathetic cry for attention. No one should waste a second of energy wooing these self-important assholes. It's futile as trying to get a dog to do your taxes or catch sunshine in a bottle.
03:13 AM - Feb 22, 2024
Rebecca E
A
Everything you said is 100% correct, Rob. I haven't seen anyone here as you described and glad of that. I often wonder if the "3rd party" voter isn't, in fact, a closet R. The only thing that matters in 2024 is #SavingDemocracy and making sure the fascist R traitors are removed from power.
07:25 PM - Feb 21, 2024
darryl
A
No one should bother voting for donald tump. republicans get a secret ballot. They can vote for anyone. They do not have to vote for overturning the United States
03:35 PM - Dec 19, 2023
Jenniferlayne53 Frederick
A
no candidate will be perfect, but look at what you will lose if you vote for the wrong person, or worse, not at all / vote blue up and down your ticket to defend democracy. . . then support the candidate in office ( people can change the leadership’s minds, if they are grown up enough )
08:26 AM - Oct 25, 2023
Sarah Bowers
A
Tell the Breakfast Club. Charlemagne says this 24 7
06:13 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
In response to Sarah Bowers.
Fuck that dude. I hate that he has a platform. He's a fuckin c00n and a loser. Not to mention, a rapist. But trying to get people to stop listening to the Breakfadt Club is hard.
02:02 PM - Feb 23, 2024 (Edited)
Tikki Foy
A
In response to Sarah Bowers.
This is still true…they are awful
02:18 PM - Feb 23, 2024
junerose32
B
How about - do you want to be able to vote? In the future?
10:19 PM - Jun 05, 2023
Pamela B'well
A
“Lazy” is right.
It’s a bullshit excuse.
I know it’s a cliche but this applies:
“You’re either part of the solution or you’re part of the problem.”
12:59 PM - May 29, 2023 (Edited)
Trauma Epidemic
A
In response to Pamela B'well.
For your consideration.
07:53 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Aly C
A
Seriously, don’t understand the “they gotta earn my vote” mentality.. Biden passed 2 Covid relief bills, lowered unemployment, helped protect vets and the poor, attempted to even the playing field for how much people pay in taxes.. fascism may sound ok until it affects you. Seriously people, wtf?
07:01 PM - May 28, 2023
Brenda Skates
A
In response to Aly C.
Don’t forget aggressively addressing the Infant Formula Shortage!
11:49 AM - May 29, 2023
Trauma Epidemic
A
In response to Aly C.
Alternative: 'Speaking for myself, Biden-Harris have well earned my vote for re-election… [followed by examples of why].'
#WordsMatter
07:40 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Clarke
A
The Democrats earned my vote in 1960 even though I was not yet old enough to vote. (The Kennedy Whistlestop campaign.)They keep earning it every day. If the Democrats have not earned your vote you must be a Republican.
03:37 PM - May 28, 2023
junerose32
B
In response to Clarke.
Or an idiot...
💙🩵💙
09:24 AM - Feb 23, 2024
Roger Bell
A
My typical quick soapbox for people with that wrongheaded attitude is: “What about gun violence? Only the Democrats will do anything to protect our children and ourselves. Sitting out an election supports continued gun violence.”
03:25 PM - May 28, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}