David James
A
I have been involved in the Internet for a long time, before the Internet, when it was just bulletin boards, I have seen Yahoo groups come and go, I worked for AOL as a designer for a while, I have seen social media become all pervasive, but I’ve never seen anything as strong as Spoutible could be!
07:56 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Devil InDisguise
A
In response to David James.
I agree with this:
04:21 AM - Oct 23, 2023
Indivisible
A
what is your take on Threads?
04:17 AM - Oct 23, 2023
David James
A
In response to Indivisible.
Quite frankly, I wouldn’t trust anything that Zuckerberg is involved in. It was produced very quickly, I’m guessing, from an amalgam of code, already existing for Instagram and another Facebook ofshoots, but I just don’t feel Zuckerberg has enough integrity to trust him.
07:53 AM - Oct 23, 2023

Only followers of this user (ShastaWitch) can see their posts

David James
A
In response to Shasta Witch.
In the past online communities have tolerated and put up with trolling, racism, sexism and just plain bullying. Spoutible polices itself against these online woes very well, obviously to continue being what it currently is it will have to keep doing so. That is down to the strength of the community.
10:43 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Irminsul Harp
A
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
10:17 PM - Jul 23, 2023
David James
A
In response to Irminsul Harp.
It was that nervous moment, never knowing whether you were going to get a good connection or not
10:42 PM - Jul 23, 2023
Lisa TV
A
We used to run a BBS and communicated through FidoNet. What a wild progression it’s been and continues….
09:47 PM - Jul 23, 2023
Amy Guterman
A
My father, zl, was on the Darpanet, I often wonder what he would make of all of this. One of his favorite sayings was, Garbage In-Garbage Out... some things don't change.
05:48 AM - Jul 04, 2023
Fearlessgirl24
A
I was just thinking about how long I've been using the internet to connect with people. I used Internet Relay Chat from the computer lab in college in the late 80s. ICQ and AIM in the 90s and God knows how many chat rooms. This feels a little like the days before social media became only about $$$.
02:26 AM - Jul 04, 2023
Jen The Muse
A
In response to Fearlessgirl24.
I haven't thought about ICQ for so long.
04:36 AM - Jul 04, 2023
Groucho Musk
A
Agreed. I’ve been on Post and was immediately turned off by the pay to read articles thing. I’ll subscribe to that publication if I want to do that.
12:55 AM - Jul 04, 2023
Indivisible
A
In response to Groucho Musk.
same here..Post is ridiculous
04:16 AM - Oct 23, 2023
Absurd Dad
A
Ditto, developer & proctor from the days of Casenet & the old BBS's and all that's developed since. The potential here is thrilling to participate in as it grows from the ground floor
12:46 AM - Jul 04, 2023
Pam Sourelis
A
Will be!
08:32 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Melinda Nowikowski
A
Same here - except all the work I ever did on websites was with FrontPage. Usenet was a hellhole, back in the day, but nobody really moderated it, so it just stayed a hellhole until any given bad faith user gave up or got bored. Agreed on Spoutible's potential.
08:08 PM - Jul 03, 2023
David James
A
In response to Melinda Nowikowski.
I made a decision only a couple of days ago that I am board sick of designing & building websites, and I’ve been working in web for a long time for some very big names, but at the end of July, I will finish the one I’m currently working on for a client and that is it, just my own sites from now on.
08:09 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Konstantine
A
In response to Melinda Nowikowski.
FrontPage! Haven't heard a reference to that app in a while. I learned to do some basic web dev using FrontPage back in the day.
08:35 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Dad The Geek
A
My first internet, besides the old BBS stuff, was Prodigy.

I once worked for NBCi as a TOS enforcer right when the Internet and broadband exploded.

Corporate greed is what ends up tanking any SM company.

The old saying “you got too big for your britches” comes to mind.
08:06 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Judd Frahmann
A
Ditto I worked on forum on CompuServe, I would spend hours on there...
08:06 PM - Jul 03, 2023
David James
A
In response to Judd Frahmann.
I remember CompuServe, God that makes me feel old
08:07 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Karkade
A
That spout felt like that one #BlackPanther trailer with Agent Ross. Lol! But, yeah, Spoutible feels like a cool place to be. I'm loving this app so far.
08:03 PM - Jul 03, 2023
David James
A
In response to Karkade.
Forgive me, for I am ancient, and I have not seen the trailer for Black Panther. I just hate to see unfairness in this world, especially when it’s unjustified 90% of the time.
08:04 PM - Jul 03, 2023 (Edited)
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
Without knowing a thing about the internet and so on, I agree completely. You can feel it, you could feel it before it even became a place.
07:58 PM - Jul 03, 2023
David James
A
In response to Carla Reid + Chilla.
We have hindsight now, we didn’t have it at the beginning because it was all new. It took me a long time to embrace Twitter, I couldn’t see the point in a character limit, but the manipulation of the Internet recently as a tool for hate and division has just multiplied, I call it the Trump effect.
08:01 PM - Jul 03, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}