Read aBannedBook
A
Did your parents have rules about what you could or couldn't read? (mine did not)

In August 2023, the #SpoutibleBannedBookClub is reading #Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman @Neilhimself

Discussion begins August 26. Follow @BannedBookClub to join.

#SBBC #books
09:05 AM - Aug 03, 2023
Steven McDermott
A
In response to Read aBannedBook.
We were never told that we couldnt read something. The only reason my mother wanted to know what we were reading was to see if she wanted to read it. We moved a lot when we were kids and we always found the Base library within the first few days of being there.
07:09 AM - Aug 04, 2023
Fearlessgirl24
A
I was such a goody goody, rule follower, I self-censored. I probably would have narked on someone in my class if I caught them reading Flowers in the Attic.
12:14 AM - Aug 04, 2023
Gina W.
A
No, as long as I read they were happy. I still remember going to the library all the time and how much I loved even the smell of books there. My sister & I would be in our beds under the sheets with our flashlights trying to read for just a little longer b4 they came in to tell us to go to sleep.
11:22 PM - Aug 03, 2023
susiequilter61
A
None at all! I did read Exorcist quite early, which scared the hell out of me, but we were allowed to read whatever we wanted. I did the same with my kids!
11:03 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Oscar with a C
A
In response to susiequilter61.
I was a voracious reader since I learned to read. I was pulling the novels my dad had finished off the shelves to read when I was in middle school and I was reading both classic and contemporary authors before I got to high school. Not once, not ever, did my parents try to restrict what I read.
11:18 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Michelle Powers
A
I wasn't allowed to ask for toys, but my Mom never said no to a book. I was allowed to read whatever I wanted. My grandfather questioned me once about "Mommy Dearest" when it came out in paperback. I was around 10 or 11. He read a few pages and gave it back.
10:58 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Virginia Crochets and Stuff
A
In response to Michelle Powers.
We were allowed to read anything we wanted. I don’t think anyone ever checked to see what I was reading. I read everything and anything I could get my hands on.
11:01 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Dan Anderson
A
In response to Michelle Powers.
I don't recall my parents ever questioning me on a book I brought home, and in turn, I don't remember giving my own kids a bad time about any books. And we all turned out ok, I guess
12:06 AM - Aug 04, 2023
Cindy Martinez
A
I don't remember my parents having any rules. I had a library card when I was a kid because my sister had me get one. I think my dad wasn't too happy that I read a lot of Sweet Valley High, because he wanted me to read more classics and more history books, but he was happy I love to read.
10:57 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Just Judith'n'ALF #VotedYes
A
Raised #Evangelical until about 10, & only provided with bible stories & books deemed harmless by parents.
I "understood" until about 8 years old that that was how it should be.
Then on being withdrawn from RI* class to the school library, I met BOOKS! "Shy The Platypus".
RI = Religious_Instruction
10:52 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Mary ♿ Cairns
A
My moms only rule was to be reading 1 grade level above our grade by the second mom of the new school year. I witnessed many fights with librarians, teachers, and other parents over what else read.
10:49 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Yamuna Ramachandran
A
I thought I imposed no rules, but I stand corrected. Convo between me and my 11YO a year ago:
Me: You should read Maus.
MyKid: Why?
Me: Because it's banned. I want you to read books that are banned.
MyKid: Can they ban Big Nate?
Me: What? Why?
MyKid: So I can read it.
10:45 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Angela Gunn
A
My grandmother, a librarian, had one rule for what I checked out: "If she can carry it, she can read it." It's my understanding that she made more than one phone call explaining this policy to other librarians in my little town.
10:44 PM - Aug 03, 2023

Only followers of this user (msmyrafaye) can see their posts

E
A
I do not remember any rules about what I could read from my parents, though many of my friends did...which meant I got all the copies of the books they couldn't read. However, my Dad did ask me to stop reading horror so he didn't have to deal with my nightmares, but that seemed sensible.
10:40 PM - Aug 03, 2023
jocelynjtweet
A
My parents had no rules on what I could read. When I was in 5th grade, I did a book report on Dorothy Sayers “Murder Must Advertise”. A drug distribution ring is involved in the plot. My teacher called my mom to ask if it was “appropriate”.
10:31 PM - Aug 03, 2023
jocelynjtweet
A
In response to jocelynjtweet.
My mother told him in no uncertain terms, that if I could understand the words, then the book was appropriate for me to read. My mom was a bit “proper”, but believed in the value of books, reading, and education
10:34 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Laura Spouts N Spurts
A
My parents took us weekly to the library where we could each get 10 books. Pretty sure they kept an eye on what we were reading. I knew to hide The Happy Hooker when I found it in someone's trash. I was maybe 13. 😬
10:29 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Sue_in_SF
A
No. My mom encouraged reading & took me to different library branches all the time. I was & am a voracious reader.
10:28 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Kathleen Rupnow
A
No rules. But, I think my mother would have objected to some things I read if she had been aware. I was always careful. I never played my "Woodstock" album around her lol.
10:17 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Cindy_Coffeelatte
A
Mine did not as far as books went. As a teenager when I read National Lampoon and collected underground comix my dad was not thrilled. Eventually he accepted that I had a great interest in the art but he often wondered about my sense of humor. My mom counted all reading as good for her kids.
10:12 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Tonya Alston
A
Nope.📚
10:09 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Sandy
A
As if my parent paid any attention to what my siblings and I were up to, let alone reading.
10:08 PM - Aug 03, 2023
My Flying Car 2020
A
Nah, I read what I wanted. It was great.
10:06 PM - Aug 03, 2023
ann heffner
A
my parents were direct opposites politically and almost so in religious beliefs. If one caught me reading a book that the other might have chosen for me, I was required to read one of their choice to counteract it. It was a completely dysfunctional household in some ways, but great for my education
10:05 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Dad The Geek
A
One of my favorite books from him! I even mentioned that last week or so in a “get to know me” post.

The BBC series was pretty good too!
09:45 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Adam Vadnais
A
Love that book, but I’m curious as to why that book would be banned at all. It’s just weird and imaginative…
09:23 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Adam Vadnais.
It was one short passage: https://www.salon.com/2013...
09:27 PM - Aug 03, 2023 (Edited)
Whoa!
A
My grandma was a librarian at the high school. I lived w/her in 4th grade. She took me to the public library; she made sure I got an adult library card w/no restrictions. When my teacher marched me across the street for reading Cujo - Stephen King, she told my teach that I can read anything I want.
06:49 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Mary ♿ Cairns
A
In response to Whoa!.
I had the same card in 4th grade. There were always arguments with the new librarians about what I checked out.
10:43 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Jennifer Wolf
A
No. But they did take my older brother’s music away because “it’s the devil’s music”.

Can you tell me what genre they were talking about? 🤣
06:16 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Jennifer Wolf.
Which one?
06:37 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Verbalize
A
Literally anything, without restrictions. Sometimes that led to some startling discoveries (reading Justine at 13 stands out). But my mom was ADAMANT about open access to any books regardless of content and equally open to discussion about ant topics that came up.
04:24 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Aron Rosenberg
A
We raised our daughter w no censorship of any kind.
We loved PeeWees Play house, but when we showed her the stage show, she immediately knew something was quite different. Not for her and we respected that.
The only thing I had to speak up on was to point out that folk who put out commercials were
02:58 PM - Aug 03, 2023
This Gurl
A
Same! If it was in the house it was up for grabs. Mom devoured romance, sci-fi, and Mack Bolan books. Now my much older big brother had a few dirty books in his room, which we weren't allowed in but, yeah found his book stash as a teenager. And look at me still alive and thriving 👩🏿
02:34 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Michelle Powers
A
In response to This Gurl.
This! My mom had subscriptions to Cosmopolitan, Viva, and an entire wall of books.
11:03 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Jenny S
A
Wait, Neverwhere was banned? I don't remember it well but I recall it being fairly bland. I had no rules for books, though I had to convince my mom that some Christopher Pike books wouldn't be too scary for me in sixth grade.
12:21 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Jenny S.
12:26 PM - Aug 03, 2023
bgoul030
A
I don't remember having rules about books. My parents also didn't care what I was reading (not obviously anyway). I've been thinking about it for my kids, and once they start to pick their own books, I won't say anything, but I'll make sure to also read it, so we can talk about the different ideas.
12:14 PM - Aug 03, 2023
bgoul030
A
In response to bgoul030.
My mom didn't let me read comic books though. Somehow, there's a difference between comic book violence and fantasy novel violence...
12:16 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Hobo Poet
A
In response to bgoul030.
This is the approach that I take with my kiddo. If I know that it's a heavy book, I warm them. But then I read alongside to talk through.
01:26 PM - Aug 03, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}