Mc Crispy
A
thread 1/12
As we get older, we begin collecting dates that don't bring us joy. It's one of two by the time we hit 30. Two or three by the time we hit 40. From there they kinda snowball.

4 years ago today my life was completely upended. I had taken so many precautions up to that point. My clients had taken so
11:52 AM - Mar 12, 2024
Mc Crispy
A
thread 2/12
many precautions. We had been so safe for a month leading up to the date. We were making things work in a time of confusion.

It would be a family member of mine that would destroy everything.

I had a job I absolutely loved. I got to play with dogs all day. I spent my day running, walking, playing,
Mc Crispy
A
thread 3/12
training, transporting, and sometimes cleaning up if there was an accident before I arrived.

I started each day with my boys, yoga, and breakfast.

4 days a week I hit the weights at the end of the day.

On weekends I would take my boys for a hike.

I took a LOT of things for granted.
Mc Crispy
A
thread 4/12
On February 10th that year, I lost Bartholomew to a very rare cancer. The grief was intense. He and I had a stronger bond than the other boys. To say I wasn't doing well, is an understatement.

But I pushed on.

March 12th I woke up with a ghost cough and extremely fatigued. Medical offices and
Mc Crispy
A
thread 5/12
hospitals had just closed. I couldn't get a test because I wasn't over the age of 70. I had to rely on a phone call with a nurse to try and figure out what was going on.

The prognosis was "suspected Covid". And then things went downhill.

Every couple weeks some new and completely random symptom
Mc Crispy
A
thread 6/12
appeared. None of it made sense. None of it seemed related, but I continued informing the nurse each time. The prognosis stayed the same. It would be months before I could get a test, and that was because I had landed in the ER on the verge of a stroke or heart attack.
Mc Crispy
A
thread 7/12
That started a fight with the medical community that I would eventually give up on. No doctor would take me seriously. I would be misdiagnosed several times, denied even an appointment, completely ignored by one, and sent a certified letter demanding I never return by another.
Mc Crispy
A
thread 8/12
I didn't know there were so many others in the same boat as me. We banded together, collected information, learned how to find and read studies and medical papers. We had only ourselves to rely on.

4 years later, I find myself incontinent, unable to do the minimum activity without needing hours of
Mc Crispy
A
thread 9/12
rest to recuperate, unable to read books, relying on autocorrect to write even a short text message, randomly forgetting what things are or how they work, hair loss that comes and goes, my vision is shit thanks to pink eye that I have more often than not, photosensitivity that limits my time in
Mc Crispy
A
thread 10/12
the sun, and other stuff I'm forgetting.

I find no positive in this anniversary; only despair.

And then I see people out living their lives without a care in the world and I get a little resentful. To see people who think this can't happen to them.

Well let me tell you, as someone who was fit,
Mc Crispy
A
thread 11/12
ate right, and took care of themselves, YES, it can happen to you. #LongCovid can happen to literally anyone. When those of us living with the disease shout that "you don't want this!", we mean it with our whole body and soul. Because everything can be taken from you in an instant.
Mc Crispy
A
thread 12/12
Get/stay boosted

Avoid crowds

Mask up in public

Take no potential symptom for granted
11:53 AM - Mar 12, 2024

Only followers of this user (knitquiltsewst1) can see their posts

Claudia Citro
A
In response to Mc Crispy.
@Topher_Ruggles
Thank you for telling us your life. I, also am very sorry this has happened to you. Your thread will help others to feel less alone. Keep sharing when you feel it.
10:03 PM - Mar 12, 2024
Maria OLeary
A
I am so sorry you went through all that and are still dealing with long COVID. Wishing you all the best and hope you get better soon! Thank you for sharing your story! 💚 🤗
07:49 PM - Mar 12, 2024
⚾️Dane Pereslete⚾️
A
There are too many valid reasons for you to mask in public! Just do it!
05:13 PM - Mar 12, 2024
Cheryl Harrington
A
Thank you for sharing this. I'm struggling with long Covid, too. Seeing friends and family give up on all precautions makes no sense to me. Worst is their inability to understand why I'm trying so hard to avoid re-infection. Hang in there. Hoping for better times ahead for you.
02:21 PM - Mar 12, 2024
hmmwrites (Heather's version)
A
I'm so sorry you're still(!) dealing with the fallout of Long Covid. Thanks for sharing your story - it's important for people to remember the human toll this virus is taking.
01:41 PM - Mar 12, 2024
André Ware
A
🙏🏾❤️👊🏾
01:06 PM - Mar 12, 2024
ecsbrooklyn
A
I'm deeply sorry that continue to live with the consequences of your infection and illness, and that no one believed you during the terribleness of 2020. Thank you for sharing your story; I know it was difficult.

May the memory of your beloved Bartholomew be a blessing and make you smile. ❤️
01:04 PM - Mar 12, 2024
Lisse (she/her)
A
So very sorry 😢. That’s so heartbreaking 💔. Personal stories of #LongCOVID are always the harshest realities for those fighting it. Hugs 🤗…
12:49 PM - Mar 12, 2024
Isa-Lee Wolf
A
Just awful, I'm so sorry💙💙💙
12:24 PM - Mar 12, 2024
Pam Sourelis
A
I'm so sorry you are going through this. ❤️
12:23 PM - Mar 12, 2024
Robin
A
I'm so sorry you and others are going thru this. The last 4 yrs upended so many lives. It is painful beyond measure to be in that group that lost a loved one to covid & to see how it still causes people to suffer. We must stand together and push for medical help for Long Covid. In Solidarity!
12:22 PM - Mar 12, 2024
A.C. Berryhill
A
I am so sorry that you have been through all of this.

Given your current health, I know it must have been exhausting to write this post. Thank you so much for sharing g your experience.
12:19 PM - Mar 12, 2024
Haruka (CLOSED)
A
I’m so terribly sorry. I wish more people would realize this is no joke. I only go in public when I have no choice, and of course I’m masked. I feel bad that we don’t see friends anymore, but @michiru and I are immunocompromised and isolation is better than Covid and its aftermath.
12:19 PM - Mar 12, 2024

Only followers of this user (FruitFacedFruitKace) can see their posts

Ellen Leigh
A
Long Covid is no joke. Wear a mask, if not for yourself, then do it for people you love.
12:10 PM - Mar 12, 2024
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
I feel so sad for you and the many others who are experiencing this. I believe a co-worker has long covid.
Even if one does everything right, it only takes one unthinking person who is sick to pass it along.
12:04 PM - Mar 12, 2024
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}