Ramsey, Queen of Popcorn®
A
thread 1/3
I'm kind of annoyed when I see something saying @Spoutible won't be successful until big names come. Guess my definition of success is different. b/c I think this site is already excellent. I feel we're all big names & no checks spouters can be just as engaged & have followers as blue checks.
08:47 PM - May 06, 2023
A
thread 2/3
Even more so since you need other spouters to have an active timeline. If I only followed the "Names," I'd see very little activity. However, I do have ppl I would love to see here too, but only b/c if they were here, I'd delete bird app entirely.
09:03 PM - May 06, 2023
A
thread 3/3
Even without them, I'm having a whale of a time and following a vast pod of blue checks, and mostly not blue checks. This is my favorite social site.

OK, I'm stepping off my soap box & going back to watching #nwsl soccer.
09:07 PM - May 06, 2023
Suzanne
B
In response to Ramsey, Queen of Popcorn®.
WE are the real grassroots.
06:46 PM - Aug 25, 2023
Jennifer Moore Baker
A
Every time I see a post about the big accounts not being here it makes me wonder who people follow. I am following great accounts and am highly entertained. Maybe the big accounts would add to the enjoyment but I currently dont miss them.
07:58 AM - Aug 10, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
I adore it here. The chill & the good feelings. I've spent my whole life outside the mainstream, with creative people who for one reason or another never achieved fame despite talent that went on for miles. Well, ok, then. We can still amuse each other.
10:43 PM - May 13, 2023
A
In response to Linda Eisenstein.
🙌🏾
10:56 PM - May 13, 2023
Tony
A
Yes and when the "big names" arrive they will form a small clique, and no matter how insightfully, wittily, or persistently one tries to engage them they will sit ignoring us and haughtily dispensing their wisdom like so many pearls before us swine...
12:27 AM - May 07, 2023
Jack Mcgraw
A
In response to Tony.
Very true
08:01 AM - Aug 31, 2023
Burning Spear
A
And if 'big names' were here the definition of success would be changed to something else deemed not lacking.
11:51 PM - May 06, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
Yeah, I love it here already. The more the merrier, but famous people (who mostly don't engage much) aren't going to make or break anything.
11:43 PM - May 06, 2023
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
Yep! 👏🏾
11:48 PM - May 06, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
I'm loving it here. I occasionally return to the bird app because I know many people there and I'm having a fundraiser, but I really prefer it here now. Whether I'm engaged with folks or spouting into the void, I just enjoy the calmer waters and social interactions.
11:22 PM - May 06, 2023
A
In response to Acey Deecey 🚀🚀.
That's it exactly. I'm here almost 98% of the time when I'm on a social media site. I can't even remember the last time I was on Insta, try to do FB once a week just to see what's up with friends I don't see that often. And bird once or twice a day for a few minutes. Never did TikTok or others.
11:44 PM - May 06, 2023
Ellee Koss
A
Ditto! 🙏🏽
10:15 PM - May 06, 2023
A
In response to Ellee Koss.
🙌🏾
11:47 PM - May 06, 2023
Diane ZB
A
I like the community feel here. We talk to each other and no is better than anyone else, versus with the big name accounts that basically talk AT you to promote their project (which is fine) but don’t interact. I admit I’d like to see some news orgs because that would get me off Twitter completely.
10:12 PM - May 06, 2023
A
In response to Diane ZB.
Same. I have some political ppl I follow and was starting to build a community of writers on twt, but I'm seeing that part grow here, and I think it will continue to get better. More ppl seem willing to interact and engage in real exchanges here.
11:53 PM - May 06, 2023
Irminsul Harp
A
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
10:02 PM - May 06, 2023
A
In response to Irminsul Harp.
I don't automatically follow a "big name" or blue checks unless I think they have something to say I care about. On that note, my most fun and interesting interactions have usually been with those peeps who are here & looking to exchange & share with others. Some have blue checks but most don't.
11:58 PM - May 06, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
This 100x. I love the engagement with smart, creative, compassionate people. They don't need to be "names" or stars. My friends IRL are fantastic & so are the friends I'm making here. But then, I'm used to being "outside the mainstream" (Alt theatre, yeah) so it just seems normal.
10:02 PM - May 06, 2023
Celeste Barnes
A
Spoutible is already SUCCESSFUL!
09:23 PM - May 06, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
If they think we don't have big names, they haven't looked around here very much. Let me preface that: we don't have Kardashian, but we have journalists, scientists, psychologists, you know, the actual big names. Give me our "big names" over celebrity and reality tv trash any day. I doubt I'm alone!
09:15 PM - May 06, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Matt Egan he/him/his.
We also have some entertainment folks, but quality ones. I know we have Jeri Ryan, Jason Alexander, and Neil Gaiman off the top of my head, probably some others I don't follow.

If you just want to hang around people who got famous by being jackasses, the bird app is probably more your speed, yeah.
09:35 PM - May 06, 2023
Knit vs Purl
A
Sooner or later, Spoutible won't be sustainable by our donations alone. Even *with* the celebs & the experts (historians, lawyers, economists, etc.), Twitter can't do without ads. And while most of us *like* the lack of algorithm, it's a deterrent for the die-hard Twitterati who work to "go viral".
08:58 PM - May 06, 2023
aaron
A
In response to Knit vs Purl.
I get lots of engagement.

The difference is you can’t type one thing and then sit back while it spreads like wildfire.

You actually have to do some work and provide consistent good stuff.
On Twitter the “viral” types have gotten lazy
09:20 PM - May 06, 2023
Lisa W FirstWave
A
I agree! Many of the big names don't even follow people back unless the other people have big names. If they want great engagement here they will have to follow people back. I have engaged with a lot of people here and I love it, Big names or not! Let's go those of us without Big Names!!!!!
08:53 PM - May 06, 2023
A
In response to Lisa W FirstWave.
Absolutely! If you spout something I like or am interested in, then I don't care what your name is or if you have a blue check. I like to interact with ppl.
09:33 PM - May 06, 2023
Danny Boy
A
Well Said.
08:53 PM - May 06, 2023
A
In response to Danny Boy.
Thank you. Just had to get that off my chest.
09:12 PM - May 06, 2023
Khrissy Choate
A
I think Spoutible is pretty damned successful as well. It’s kind of hard to get “big names” here when so many of them seem to be falling over themselves to get bluesky.
08:51 PM - May 06, 2023
A
In response to Khrissy Choate.
I'm happy here, and honestly, I don't even follow that many "big names" on the bird site, either. Mostly just some of the politicians or leaders in the Democratic party & POTUS.
09:37 PM - May 06, 2023
Rob Valente
A
Agree!
08:50 PM - May 06, 2023
Jenny_Jupiter
B
I’ll be staying!
08:49 PM - May 06, 2023
A
In response to Jenny_Jupiter.
Me too! I said before to another Spouter last week, for me, this is home.
09:41 PM - May 06, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}