Breezy Aussie
A
thread 1/4
So much I read on this site is about Race. ‪It never occurs to me what people look like, skin colour, religious or gender preferences. I thank my parents for ensuring I an only interested in your music, food, traditions, clothing, history. Simply put: I don’t care. I like you and value you. ‬
06:04 AM - Aug 26, 2023
Breezy Aussie
A
thread 2/4
The response I have had has been very interesting and I have learned much from the reaction and replies. I think I was making a more subtle point than many read. I first admire (or otherwise) the achievements of individuals. It is when one learns of their life, environment, struggles, joys - etc
06:58 PM - Aug 26, 2023
Breezy Aussie
A
thread 3/4
That one can really understand, in some little way, their achievements. For me it is not about the colour of a persons skin that determine my relationship with them. It is the totality of what makes them, them. I absolutely acknowledge that the 'history' of a person, their people, their tribe - mtc
07:03 PM - Aug 26, 2023
Breezy Aussie
A
thread 4/4
their world - but I only know that once I embrace their story.

Many responses immediately responded to my picture - 'white' and spoke to me as if I was ignorant of my privilege.

I try to not do that to others

I have been pointed to many good reads. Thank you.
07:08 PM - Aug 26, 2023
ecsbrooklyn
A
In response to Breezy Aussie.
What you thought was a subtle point wasn't. Learn history. Reading, listening & learning will help you see for yourself what the responders are talking about. Everyone who benefits from white supremacy must understand and then do what we can to change it -- not just "like people for who they are."
04:08 PM - Aug 27, 2023
Rollo Tomasi
A
"I don't see color" ain't it sis. If you think it is, you're sadly mistaken. I want you to not only notice my color, but understand how I am forced to navigate this world. So exhausting you all are.
01:51 PM - Aug 27, 2023
Chris to my friends … and that’s you
A
Unfortunately, here in the US, pretty much everything is rooted in racism. From the early settlers to today. I recommend two books: White Allies Handbook by Lecia Michelle and Peoples History of the US by Howard Zinn.
They will change your worldview completely.
It’s a worthwhile journey 👍👍
02:10 PM - Aug 26, 2023
William Turner
A
In response to Chris to my friends … and that’s you.
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
12:09 PM - Aug 27, 2023
Suzanne
B
I see "differences" as extremely beautiful and a blessing. That said, I see ending racism as my problem. When we all see that, it will end. Being born white means we have the "privilege" that can solve this problem. When we all do that, it will end. It's beyond past time.
02:00 PM - Aug 26, 2023
Kevin Kretsch
A
We MUST care about skin color and gender. Especially where race is concerned, racism is OUR problem to fix. We cannot address problems if we refuse to acknowledge those it affects. Thinking we are allowed to be “colorblind” is a racist act because it allows the current racist status quo to continue.
01:40 PM - Aug 26, 2023
Kevin Kretsch
A
In response to Kevin Kretsch.
We MUST see race because we must see those it affects, how it affects them, we must act to counter those affects. And we MUST act to call out all the racism by white people. To be silent is to CHOOSE to allow racism.
01:53 PM - Aug 26, 2023
Pamela
A
It is perfectly okay to see color. It’s okay that people are different. What’s not okay is discriminating against. An important difference.
01:25 PM - Aug 26, 2023
Michele C.
A
Happy for you, but as a Black woman in the USA I don't have that luxury.

I am the product of a long line of people who came to America with literally nothing--not even their name--who not only survived, but ultimately thrived. "I don't see color" dismisses all of that in a condescending way.
01:15 PM - Aug 26, 2023
Chris Lawton
A
In response to Michele C..
por el amor de Dios
02:51 PM - Aug 26, 2023
glinyx
A
Congratulations on your personal view..

But that doesn't address the centuries of exploitation, violence, and terror that white people have done--and continue to do--to Black and brown peoples.

That isn't erased because you "don't see color."

This book helped me see better.
12:54 PM - Aug 26, 2023
glinyx
A
In response to glinyx.
12:54 PM - Aug 26, 2023
Susan Simon
A
I really recommend checking out the anti racist community on Insta. I follow a bunch of folks there including whyisthatracist, an older wyt woman who is doing the work and often posts other resources to follow. ckyourprivilege & mrcrim3 are also awesome. I’m learning to see things I never saw.
12:07 PM - Aug 26, 2023
Cheryl Taylor
A
In response to Susan Simon.
Thank you for sharing this was already following whyisthisracist I am now following the other two you mentioned 😊😊😊😊
02:08 PM - Aug 26, 2023
Susan Simon
A
I know u are getting lots of replies that sound angry, but please know that we whites need 2 acknowledge that racism is a problem we created & need 2 fix. It’s a long journey 4 all of us. Despite being mom to 3 biracial kids, I’m still learning new things every day. Read & listen 2 blk + brn voices.
12:04 PM - Aug 26, 2023
Ethical Atheist
A
Your parents taught you to not see racism. They didn't track you to be anti-racist.

Mine didn't either.

Bragging about not seeing color is kind of racist.
11:45 AM - Aug 26, 2023
Ethical Atheist
A
You just defined white privilege.

Please learn to see it and acknowledge it because regardless of intent, the impact of your spout is to marginalize the already marginalized.
11:43 AM - Aug 26, 2023
Bonnie Underwood
A
What I see is a community where people feel free to be themselves. The black community is strong. As a ww, I don't usually have anything to contribute to the conversation so I don't comment but I often learn something. Learn something from this. You see color, acknowledge that.
11:21 AM - Aug 26, 2023
MariMarina (she/her)
A
You love and value people so much you are telling them not to talk about their oppression. Interesting to say the least. 🧐
10:43 AM - Aug 26, 2023

Only followers of this user (ConnieAz) can see their posts

Ennis Cole
A
What people look like is a huge part of how they're perceived which directly affects their lived experience, their ability to live in this world safely.
09:48 AM - Aug 26, 2023
Cyndi Beyoch
A
everything IS about race. white people made it that way. period
09:35 AM - Aug 26, 2023
LOSER John Trump ♍️
A
Interesting.🤔
09:26 AM - Aug 26, 2023
Hester Prynnecess, beat reporter
A
there are lots of people pointing out lots of things to you, but mine would be this—

people whose color you “don’t see” have been seen & treated in particular ways all their lives, in ways that have deeply shaped their experiences, often w deep harm.

THAT’S one part you absolutely SHOULD see
09:21 AM - Aug 26, 2023
Mimi Wells
A
Southern white girl here. You should care. Black men and women don’t have the luxury of being able to ignore it the way you claim to. Perhaps that’s why, as you noted yourself, “so much” is about race?
08:21 AM - Aug 26, 2023
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
06:08 AM - Aug 26, 2023
Carol Nelson
A
In response to ⚛️Shawn Athan.
Thank you.
11:16 AM - Aug 26, 2023
Jeanne Stewart
A
In response to ⚛️Shawn Athan.
Thank you for linking to this article! Extremely helpful!
12:34 PM - Aug 26, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}